sfran43

Thursday Numbers: Aladdin $4.75M | Godzilla KOTM $2.65M

45 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Disney is lucky the Alladin is doing so well;it's going to cover all the money Disney is likely to lose on Dark Phoenix.

If you are not familair with the way business mergers/acquistions work, Disney acquired all of Fox's liabilities as well as their assets;all the money Fox spent on DP is now Disney's money.

Yea DP isnt really a loss for Disney. As TalismanRing mentioned, its chip change in the context of the acquisition, less than a rounding error, and they likely already discounted the loss

EDIT: That said you could argue that thanks to Comcast, Disney overpaid for Fox. Only time will tell and thats a different conversation entirely, but that would be way, way more than anything they could lose on a single film

Edited by Justin4125

Did Disney even spend anything on Dark Phoenix? I mean, maybe some marketing, but the movie was pretty much done by the time Disney bought Fox and made it official. They didn't really put any of their own money down on DP so I don't see how anything can be considered a loss.

Is the movie even considered a BV film?

Not surprised to see Aladdin holding so well! Movie surprised me how much I enjoyed it after seeing the mixed reviews it had on rotten tomatoes. Definite crowd pleaser.

Musical numbers were great, and both Naomi Harris and Will Smith were awesome as Genie and Princess Jasmine. Only thing that took me out of the movie was noticeably bad CGI. CGI during the magic carpet ride was laughably bad.

2 hours ago, KJsooner said:

Not surprised to see Aladdin holding so well! Movie surprised me how much I enjoyed it after seeing the mixed reviews it had on rotten tomatoes. Definite crowd pleaser.

Musical numbers were great, and both Naomi Harris and Will Smith were awesome as Genie and Princess Jasmine. Only thing that took me out of the movie was noticeably bad CGI. CGI during the magic carpet ride was laughably bad.

Scott, not Harris btw. And although the CGI on that scene wasn't the best, it was good enough. It's still pretty to look at. The direction, the song, the music and the chemistry between the 2 actors really made it magical.

4 hours ago, jedijake said:

Did Disney even spend anything on Dark Phoenix? I mean, maybe some marketing, but the movie was pretty much done by the time Disney bought Fox and made it official. They didn't really put any of their own money down on DP so I don't see how anything can be considered a loss.

Is the movie even considered a BV film?

Well you see that’s the thing, they effectively spent $71.3 billion on Fox so they will want to see some sort of return on that. 

Edited by VENOM

10 minutes ago, catlover said:

Scott, not Harris btw. And although the CGI on that scene wasn't the best, it was good enough. It's still pretty to look at. The direction, the song, the music and the chemistry between the 2 actors really made it magical.

Yeah not quite sure where I got Harris. Meant Naomi Scott! Scene was still magical! Scott can really sing!

3 minutes ago, VENOM said:

Well you see that’s the thing, they effectively spent $71.3 billion on Fox so they will want to see some sort of return on that. 

They purchased Marvel for 4 billion when it was producing mostly trash. How good of a choice was that?

2 minutes ago, jedijake said:

That and Disney didn't buy Fox just to get X-Men. 

God no. That was a tiny fraction of what they got. Like .1% of it.

They already recouped all of their marvel investment but it will take a lot longer to recoup the fox one. Still it provides them with content to produce for basically ever.

Edited by cdsacken

42 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

They purchased Marvel for 4 billion when it was producing mostly trash. How good of a choice was that?

Uhh that just tells me they got ripped off with Fox lol. It’s not like Fox was putting out hits, but the big price tag was mostly Comcast making Disney sweat for it. I wouldn’t call the first iron man trash, it’s actually to this day the best iron man and that was from Paramount.. then Disney bought Marvel and we got that hot mess which was iron man 2.

Edited by VENOM

2 hours ago, VENOM said:

Uhh that just tells me they got ripped off with Fox lol. It’s not like Fox was putting out hits, but the big price tag was mostly Comcast making Disney sweat for it. I wouldn’t call the first iron man trash, it’s actually to this day the best iron man and that was from Paramount.. then Disney bought Marvel and we got that hot mess which was iron man 2.

They have a 100+ years of content from Fox alone.

Remake city here we come. And yes they got ripped off due competitive offers and will still make money off it. Makes it easier for them to do way less original content and try to actually make good stuff. Even the original content is somewhat a ripoff of other content. 

7 hours ago, VENOM said:

They will get around a 95-100% return with the Avatar sequels according to some members on this site.

6 hours ago, VENOM said:

If you put it in the context of film then sure they overpaid, but they are going after TV and Streaming with this purchase. They now have brands like The Simpsons, FX, Nat Geo that will bring in a whole lot of money for them over time. Plus all the classic movies and tv shows will continue to sell and they have more content production to be able to fill their streaming services. If they have one or two break out hits (that isn’t Avatar sequels because Disney seems to be banking on those) from what they inherited from Fox in the next couple of years I’m sure they will be more than happy.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, The Gotham Bank said:

They will get around a 95-100% return with the Avatar sequels according to some members on this site.

Which members said this? You/they think Disney will make over 71 million profit with 3/4 Avatar movies? giphy.gif

45 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

If you put it in the context of film then sure they overpaid, but they are going after TV and Streaming with this purchase. They now have brands like The Simpsons, FX, Nat Geo that will bring in a whole lot of money for them over time. Plus all the classic movies and tv shows will continue to sell and they have more content production to be able to fill their streaming services. If they have one or two break out hits (that isn’t Avatar sequels because Disney seems to be banking on those) from what they inherited from Fox in the next couple of years I’m sure they will be more than happy.

Yes the content will fill Hulu and Disney+ programming.  Also 30% of Hulu (now have the controlling stake, 67% after the recent AT&T sale), Star India (valued at $15B a few years ago), hundreds of local TV stations, sports networks etc.   They had to divest as well so not just a $71B purchase.  There was the $15B sale of Fox's SKY TV ownership to Comcast and the $3.5B sale of the Yes Network alone among the 22 Sports Networks they had to divest (b/c of ESPN) etc.  and some OS networks to avoid monopolies.

• Like 2