sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

By comparison, the first Pets did 5.3M three years ago. So...yeah, that's not very pretty.

Also Hotel Transylvania 3 did more (albeit an hour early) with 2.6M. Yikes

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

An over 50% drop for Pets 2 would be lovely

If we use the same drop for OW as the previews between the first and second movie, then Pets 2 will do about 45m for OW. 

• Like 1

The LEGO Batman Movie Warner Bros. FRI, 02/10/2017 5PM THU $2.200 M $14.493 M 6.588 $53.003 M 24.092

The Lego Batman Movie recently did 2.2m previews for a 12.3m true friday. 

If its any consolation for Universal, it doesn't include the Fandango screening 2 weekends ago. Either way...yikes. It'll be lucky to make half of what the original did. TS4 being just around the corner certainly won't help it.

I doubt Dark Phoenix will fare much better. 

EDIT: Even HT3 managed $2.6m previews last summer. That came out when more schools were out, so Pets should still have a bigger opening, but still....not exactly a promising sign so far.

• Like 1

Some comparisons

SLOP 1: $5.3M (July)

LEGO Batman: $2.2M (February)
LEGO Movie 2: $1.5M (February) 
How To Train Your Dragon 3: $3M (February)

The Grinch: $2.2M (November)

Hotel Transylvania 3: $2.6M (July)

Yeah... considering this is June, this is definitely pointing to $40M-$50M.

Edited by Biggestgeekever

The trailers were all basically "look! Here are these characters you barely cared about three years ago doing whatever!"

Like, Illuminati's marketing is often super aggressive but this time it was bizarrely lazy for how proliferate it was.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

When I saw their screen count I was thinking why? Fan interest has been low for months and tracking has been 50-60 if super generous. Yikes what a diaster. They pull 1k EG theaters for this crap that will lose almost all of it's theaters in a couple weeks yet it hurts EG and Pikachu not cool.

I actually enjoyed the first Secret Life of Pets but have been struggling to come up with any desire to see the sequel. It just looks so routine. Clearly I wasn't the only one, but losing over half the audience is definitely alarming.

Also looks to become Illumination's first title to miss $200M aside from Hop (which doesn't fully count since it was a hybrid). Sign of waning power, perhaps.

If Pets 2 follows Hotel Transylvania 3...

15 w/ previews

39.1 weekend

If it follows Despicable Me 3

16.3 w/ previews

40.6 weekend

If it follows Christopher Robin

14.6 w/ previews

37.6 weekend

:jeb!: This might be in deep doo doo

• Like 3

Pets 2 was real good at playing dead with these numbers. Illumination should've healed with the sequel as audience are staying away. Can't think of anymore Pets puns, but it's good to see evil being defeated after winning two weeks ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1