sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

Just now, Jay Beezy said:

Not to mention, 40.5M gives it the same weekend/preview multiple as Apocalypse which had an inflated Sunday.

It's amazing how bad this franchise's multis have always been looking back. I mean X3 got a 2.29x multi way back in 2006! That kind of multi was unheard of back then. Origins also got an unheard of blockbuster multi too for the time, with a 2.1x. Hard to imagine much better WOM for ones like DOFP and Logan, but still in the 2.5x range. And I usually remember FC as being the "leggy" run of the franchise, yet even that's still a very meh 2.65x multi. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

What I think has killed a lot of movies that have done gangbuster business before is the studio mindset that every big movie they make *has* to appeal more internationally than domestically.

I don't know about that, a movie like Guardians 2 has basically all its jokes linked to american culture , not a lot of laughs in my french theater.

The marry poppins joke flew above everyone s heads.

Edited by The Futurist

4 minutes ago, john2000 said:

Do these studios actually believe this helps? All it does is cause weekend estimates to look hopeful and then drop significantly when the real numbers kick in mere hours later. It happened with Teen Titans (RIP), it happened with Godzilla and it's going to happen with this.

Edited by LOGAN'sLuckyRun

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I don't know about that, a movie like Guardians 2 has basically all its jokes linked to american culture , not a lot of laughs in my french theater.

The marry poppins joke flew above everyone s heads.

It was still associated with an overall well established global brand (Marvel, not GOTG specifically). I’m talking about in general.

Edited by Jay Beezy

Not looking good for either new release, but I'm not surprised that they're both potentially looking at weak openings. There's no need to re-litigate the drama surrounding Dark Phoenix, and Secret Life of Pets 2 never really capitalized on the audience goodwill the first film had.

That said, where Dark Phoenix's fate has long seemed sealed, Pets could recover a bit as the weekend progresses. Some schools are out, yes, but others aren't - particularly ones that might have had to deal with snow day cancellations this winter.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

When did Dark Phoenix's previews start? 7 or 4? 

Dark Phoenix‘s showtimes started at 6PM with Imax events, followed by a full 7pm blast. 

• Astonished 1

So, any guess on Dark Phoenix's CinemaScore?

I would say a B+ / B.  Then again, Catwoman got a B CinemaScore, and Dark Phoenix is miles and miles better than that.  Suicide Squad got a B+, Venom got a B+, Apocalypse / Last Stand both got A- 

• Sad 1

SLOP2 may be more of a victim of wait and hold out for TS4 and TLK than anything else, however it does seem Illumination dropped the ball on marketing too. Which is completely shocking. I have been saying all decade they are far and away the best marketing team in the industry, so I have no idea what happened? I thought all along the "character" trailers were odd and made it seem like they were simply releasing shorts that had nothing to do with a movie, which I think is indeed the message they conveyed. I trusted they must know what they were doing, but it would seem they did mess up. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

SLOP2 may be more of a victim of wait and hold out for TS4 and TLK than anything else, however it does seem Illumination dropped the ball on marketing too. Which is completely shocking. I have been saying all decade they are far and away the best marketing team in the industry, so I have no idea what happened? I thought all along the "character" trailers were odd and made it seem like they were simply releasing shorts that had nothing to do with a movie, which I think is indeed the message they conveyed. I trusted they must know what they were doing, but it would seem they did mess up. 

It also doesn't help that the original was boring as hell, even for Illumination. I liked Minions and Sing far better. I don't even think SLOP 2 has an actual plot.

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Disney isn't the only thing succeeding in Hollywood. IT 2 is about to do 250m, Anabelle will challenge 100m easy after the success of the Nun, Us was huge no matter how you slice it, Doctor Sleep gonna breakout.....I'd say horror is in just as good of shape as Disney, on a relative scale. Horror has never been a better bet at the box office than right now.

Wait until Disney realizes they can make money on horror films

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think it just fell victim to the same curse that has killed many comedy sequels (see: Ted 2, Neighbors 2, etc.) where the concept was only good for one movie and the sequel didn't give people a reason to return. These sequels where the whole hook is "hey, we're back, did you miss us" rarely turn out well.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think it just fell victim to the same curse that has killed many comedy sequels (see: Ted 2, Neighbors 2, etc.) where the concept was only good for one movie and the sequel didn't give people a reason to return. These sequels where the whole hook is "hey, we're back, did you miss us" rarely turn out well.

Like someone said, SLOP was baiscally a bunch of animated versions of those stupid pet videos we see on You Tube.

SO it a race between SLOP and DP to which underperorms the most?

13 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Also the trailer.. what the heck is this movie even about.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Image result for minions movie poster