sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

25 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

What I think has killed a lot of movies that have done gangbuster business before is the studio mindset that every big movie they make *has* to appeal more internationally than domestically.

That certainly hasn't helped, especially since they're making something like 25 cents on the dollar with many of those overseas numbers. You basically HAVE to get a 30/70 split in order to justify putting your eggs in that overseas basket. 

It's almost like the industry itself has forgotten the boxoffice game began as marketing con and now believes the size of the numbers really is more important than the real money they represent. 

I don't really buy that there just wasn't interested for a SLOP sequel. The audience ate up the first film. To me the big outlier with SLOP2 and all of their other films is the marketing, which always seemed off. Granted, I also noticed The Grinch's marketing felt a bit less effective than their norm, but that was likely curtailed by a great release spot. If TLK and TS4 do over a billion DOM together, that in and of itself is basically the summer movie family cap. And that's before adding in what Aladdin is doing too. So I think it's 100% a combo of release and marketing, not a lack of interest for a sequel. 

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

9 minutes ago, DAR said:

Wait until Disney realizes they can make money on horror films

When Disney announces a live-action remake of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow cartoon, I'm blaming you for this.

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh... unless, you know, you just really like films and cinema lol 

I’m guessing most people here love going to the cinema and love films? 

Otherwise being on here is like only following football leagues but never actually watching a game 😂

What if you mostly only go to the cinema for movies that end up in the top 10 and catch the rest on streaming? That’s kind of like following the sport but not the little leagues ;)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

That certainly hasn't helped, especially since they're making something like 25 cents on the dollar with many of those overseas numbers. You basically HAVE to get a 30/70 split in order to justify putting your eggs in that overseas basket. 

It's almost like the industry itself has forgotten the boxoffice game began as marketing con and now believes the size of the numbers really is more important than the real money they represent. 

I mean I get not wanting to spend more than 100M on movies that don’t have much in the way international appeal (which is before we talk about China because if China won’t play your movie at all, forget about getting a decent budget). But it’s frustrating that nowadays studios won’t even spend more than 50M for something that won’t make much bank internationally or any bank in China.

35 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Amusement park Movies.

Cute.

We ve officially reached peak condescencion.

I didn't say amusement park movies were bad, or beneath anything. I enjoy amusement parks, amusement park movies, rides, movies that act like rides, and movies based on rides. 

I also think its pretty obvious the market as it stands now is primarily built for those sorts of movies, and those movies are what's keeping the industry alive at the boxoffice. There's nothing condescending about that is there

If you have ever said to yourself "I don't need to see this in the theater" because it doesn't have much cgi or action or things like that, you agree with the point being made. The industry itself has worked towards that. that's why it looks like this now.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

When Disney announces a live-action remake of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow cartoon, I'm blaming you for this.

You say this now but you know you'll be there when they cast Timothee Chalamet as Ichabod.

1 hour ago, baumer said:

but why is everybody automatically assuming it's going to drop 50 or 60% from the first film? You guys are just basing this off of it doing half about the preview number was? The first film came out at the very beginning of July when all schools are out. This one is coming out at the beginning of June when all the schools are still in.

Hello...

Deadline's report today on DP and SLOP2 preview number:

School is increasingly out for the summer with ComScore reporting 62% K-12 on break today , moving to 70% on Monday and hopefully that will have some kind of positive impact at the box office.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

I didn't say amusement park movies were bad, or beneath anything. I enjoy amusement parks, amusement park movies, rides, movies that act like rides, and movies based on rides. 

I also think its pretty obvious the market as it stands now is primarily built for those sorts of movies, and those movies are what's keeping the industry alive at the boxoffice. There's nothing condescending about that is there

If you have ever said to yourself "I don't need to see this in the theater" because it doesn't have much cgi or action or things like that, you agree with the point being made. The industry itself has worked towards that. that's why it looks like this now.

The industry does NOTHING, it reacts.

It responds to demand, not the other way around.

The industry has nothing to do with the franchise/brands age we are living right now, audiences drove the movie market there.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

51 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

It's been fun to watch different arms of the entertainment industry injuring itself over the past few years. Going to the theater has become an amusement-park-only deal. Think of how many times you've told yourself you don't need to see something at the theater because it isnt a big action movie so it's not worth it... Movie theaters are just cheap rollercoasters that don't move. Disney saw this coming and that's why they own about 50% of the market.

If it hadn't been for the home video race providing higher quality product for almost a decade now, people probably would be more interested in seeing more movies at the theater. bluray is theater quality - a lot of theaters are still projecting in 2k, and most movies are finished at that resolution and upscaled to 4. Most cheap flat screens provide the same sense of having your vision filled as sitting in the back row of an AMC. 

And now all these media companies are rolling out their own streaming networks that will include stuff you'll never see at a theater, but made using the same production modes the theatrical films use, just in time for tv makers and stereo makers to release even cheaper 4k TVs and 7.1 home theater solutions that beat the automated showings at your local chain, and the sense of community isn't even lost because everyone live tweets everything.

The industry needs theaters to survive but simply can't stop themselves from making theaters obsolete for everything but amusement park ride movies. Of course the joke is that this streaming future we're already locked into is dependent on an internet we don't own, regulated by a dumb government for the benefit of maximizing profits for a tiny group of companies. 

In 5 years we'll have amazing equipment that never gets used to its full potential as we overpay a giant telecom for the right to access five different overpriced streaming networks all with exclusive must-see stuff that's so compressed and watery we'll wish theaters were still around so we could actually see what we were paying for, and we'll wonder why we can't do that anymore. 

How about US, and potentially Annabelle and it 2?

Just now, The Futurist said:

The industry does NOTHING. The industry has nothing to do with the franchise/brands age we are living right now

I strongly disagree. I don't see a lot of support for what you're suggesting. 

Let's take the concept of amusement parks themselves, which are fun, amazing, enjoyable, memorable, and make a lot of money. Audiences didn't conjure that up on their own. It wasn't a response to a demand that had to be fulfilled. They didn't know the demand existed until after the product was delivered. And then the industry continued. The idea the industry is purely reactive and the innovation and trends are all audience created doesn't make sense just looking at even recent history. 

Amusement park movies can be good or great or life-changing. It's not an insult. But it can be limiting. And those limitations are enabled by the industry in multiple ways. 

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

Also I really like to go to a film with someone and not on my own.

I don’t mind going to a film by myself, but I do love seeing a film with an audience. I think the rowdy crowd was 1/4 of the reason I so enjoyed Blockers.

A film like Endgame, its almost certain someone in your family or your circle of friends will want to watch...

Oh. God. Endgame. I will always remember that surreal and magical experience of 250+ strangers all screaming “Say it. SAY IT” during the climax; and then the sheer explosion of sound and joy when “it” was said. 

It was so wild. We didn’t get together and say, okay, when this happens, this is how we react.  It was just an natural, communal, catharsis.

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

There’s also lots of reasons to go and see the “non spectacle films”. All about taste. 

Well, yeah. Everything is about “taste”.  We could go fifteen rounds on that and never come close to agreeing.

Texting during a film at home still doesn’t make sense to me lol. If you’re on your phone during a film, or speaking to someone: the film simply isn’t holding your attention. 

Ooor, you and your friends are all messy gossips who want to watch the film/tv episode together as you watch. 🤷‍♀️  Sometimes that’s half the fun of watching. 

It is also no different than how people live-tweet together. Watching things and chat about them in real time is a has a loud, proud tradition in fandom. 

1 hour ago, Rebeccas said:

AMC A-List is still really worth it.

Not if your closest AMC is 80 miles away. 

:whosad:

35 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

Going to the theater has become an amusement-park-only deal. Think of how many times you've told yourself you don't need to see something at the theater because it isnt a big action movie so it's not worth it...

Animated GIF

just in time for tv makers and stereo makers to release even cheaper 4k TVs and 7.1 systems that beat your local chain

I am just waiting for the 4K projectors to somewhat justify their cost. If it gets anyway near my magic number in five years, I am 100% building a home theater in my house. 

• Like 3