sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

2 minutes ago, a2k said:

Even using 16 true Friday tough to see 55.

52+ at most imo.

18 (+12.5%) // SLOP1 did +11%

14.4 (-20%) // SLOP1 did -22%

= 50.7

Different release dates. Saturday may have a larger increase for SLOP2. SLOP was released during full on summer with no schools in. SLOP2 different story. Could be 55M with 16M true Friday in my opinion. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Felandria said:

Did they ever report the sneak preview numbers for SLOP2?

58 minutes ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

That's the Thr preview number, LLR, not the Fandango Early Access Sat number from a couple of weekends ago.

Which, BTW, this thread does seem to be forgetting about.  It was on a Saturday, yes, so it would have had more kids show up than a 6pm Thr preview. So one just can't combine whatever the two numbers end up being. But it still sliced off some demand from Thr.

I personally would wait for the Sat numbers from this weekend before writing SLOP2's eulogy. 

(And, yes, I'm aware of the 50% drop in the UK, just saying that maaaaaaaybe wait for the Early Access numbers as well as this coming Saturday before declaring SLOP2 dead)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

My understanding was Searchlight would operate at the studio much like Pixar and LucasFilm and Marvel all do now. 

I would imagine no, that it will stay much more independant than LucasFilm/Marvel and not have a Feige having to fight and beg Disney to greenlight Black Panthers.

The budgets are quite different and there is no billions IP in play here. It is not about not having day to day interference for the movie Disney gave their ok to, it is not having to ask Disney or even tell them what movie you are doing or being able to bid before the movie even finish playing at a festival without having called anyone working at Disney.

12 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-forecast-fast-furious-presents-hobbs-shaw/

Hobbs and Shaw: 75-115 range. 100/245

MIB: 39/107 (-5%)

Shaft: 23/66 (-4%)

Anna: 5/14.2 (-17%)

I think that low end of Hobbs and Shaw is the absolute ceiling for it. It's a spinoff of a series that already saw a significant downward trend in the eighth iteration, so growing from that would be crazy pants.

Even the writeup on the article doesn't use any meaningful data points to suggest why it'd out open Fate of the Furious.

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I would imagine no, that it will stay much more independant than LucasFilm/Marvel and not have a Feige having to fight and beg Disney to greenlight Black Panthers.

The budgets are quite different and there is no billions IP in play here. It is not about not having day to day interference for the movie Disney gave their ok to, it is not having to ask Disney or even tell them what movie you are doing or being able to bid before the movie even finish playing at a festival without having called anyone working at Disney.

Feige didn't fight Disney to greenlight BP or CM. 

Feige needed Permutter gone so Permutter would stop blocking those properties and giving him grief about other story lines and budget choices or trying to force him to do films he didn't want to in exchange. 

Once he had a straight line to Alan Horn like Lucas film, WDAS and PIXAR it was hunky dory.

Fox Searchlight will continue to act as their own sub studio but they are not going to be more independent than the other sub divisions/studios.

• Like 5

Solo: I am the biggest bomb in recent big budget movie history.

Dark Phoenix: Hold my beer, I'm going in.

Meanwhile...

New Mutants: *starts flexing its muscles and bobbing its neck back and forth as it prepares to bust through the wall Kool-Aid Man style*

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, a2k said:

Even using 16 true Friday tough to see 55.

20 (+25%) // SLOP1 did +11% in July

15.6 (-22%) // SLOP1 did -22%

= 53.9

EDIT : @Ms Lady Hawk pointed the July vs early June release date. So changing Sat (and Sun too a little.)

Cars 3 might work as a comparison since it was a mid-June release. It was also a low-hyped sequel which ended up opening in the same range ($53.7 million OW). 

18.5 (+10%)

15.6 (-15%)

This would give SLOP2 $48.6 million OW.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

1 hour ago, Menor said:

Pulse points to around 10 million for Phoenix still, 9-11 to be safe. For Pets 2 around 15, so 14-16 as the range. 

Bro you're a wizard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Meanwhile...

New Mutants: *starts flexing its muscles and bobbing its neck back and forth as it prepares to bust through the wall Kool-Aid Man style*

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Though, I have to admit, this was a pretty good post to immediately preface yours.

Actually kinda glad mine came first so it didn't look like I was reacting to it. :lol:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Meanwhile...

Solo will always remain a bigger bomb....

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Meanwhile...

New Mutants reportedly has a $40m budget.  So peanuts comparatively speaking.  If  not contractually obliged for a theatrical release if it's worse than DP they should just Hulu or Disney+ it.

• Like 1