sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

New Mutants reportedly has a $40m budget.  So peanuts comparatively speaking.  If  not contractually obliged for a theatrical release if it's worse than DP they should just Hulu or Disney+ it.

Ah, I figured it would have been higher after all of the reshoots. And admittedly I didn't check out its original budget. Fair enough then. 

Edited by Porthos

10 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Drop X-5's Sunday to a 25% drop and preview to w/e multi would be around 7.58x

A $16m Friday gives X-6 the same 3.2x previews to/Friday ration as X-5

If it does $16m it would hit about $37.9m with 7.58x 

As said above if Pet's follows Cars 3 with a similar release date it should do $53m+

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Feige didn't fight Disney to greenlight BP or CM. 

That is not what he told the press, he even thanking them for having saying yes to the project if I remember correctly, like if they were put on the loop and had to say ok to it. fight/Ask/get permission is irrelevant here, the existence of the feedback itself and the meeting about it, must not exist.

Those division are working if from time to time Disney will refuse to release a movie after the fact when they see it once it is done (like it happened from time to time in the Weinstein days)

Edited by Barnack

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Ah, I figured it would have been higher after all of the reshoots. And admittedly I didn't check out its original budget. Fair enough then. 

They haven't done re-shoots yet.  After seeing X-6's performance they might decide they're not worth it. <_<

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That is not what he told the press, he even thanking them for having saying yes to the project if I remember correctly, like if they were put on the loop and had to say ok to it.

No, he was discussing what happened when Ike was still the head of MCU.   Feige had to agree to do Inhumans in order to get BP and CM green lit.  That and Ike balking at Civil War's budget and RDJ's salary.  That's why there was a coup - or rather Feige threatened to walk.   It's not a coincidence that after  Ike was removed from the head of MCU Studios that Inhumans went bye bye from the schedule and wound up in the Marvel TV division under Ike.  And now with Disney+ shows Feige will be in charge there as well.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

Just now, TalismanRing said:

No, he was discussing what happened when Ike was still the head of MCU.  That's why there was a coup.  That and Ike balking at Civil War's budget and RDJ's salary.  Feige had to agree to do Inhumans in order to get BP and CM green lit.  It's not a coincidence that after  Ike was removed from the head of MCU Studios that Inhumans went bye bye from his schedule and would up in the Marvel TV division under Ike.  And now with Disney+ shows Feige will be in charge there as well.

There's gonna be some biopic 20 years from now called Kevin vs. Ike: Dawn of Justice

4 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

I've followed some dark periods at the box office, but Louis CK and Brett Ratner being redeemed on the same weekend would take the cake.

Bryan Singer left after Apocalypse and suddenly the X-Men films stop being hits.  Glad we can have 3 problematic redemption arcs on the same weekend.

• Disbelief 1

I see the Filmsplianers are out on Twitter again.

It all started with this observation from one of the writers of SLOP2 

But since someone in the industry can't possibly be right about this, someone had to come in and correct him:

This has been met with all sorts of replies, but these two are probably the best:

Brian Lynch is being incredibly patient with the person in question but it really is amusing when armchair fans say something, get told by professional that they're wrong, and then double down instead of pausing and reflecting that maaaaaybe they were the ones who didn't have the full picture.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

No, he was discussing what happened when Ike was still the head of MCU.   Feige had to agree to do Inhumans in order to get BP and CM green lit.  That and Ike balking at Civil War's budget and RDJ's salary.  That's why there was a coup - or rather Feige threatened to walk.   It's not a coincidence that after  Ike was removed from the head of MCU Studios that Inhumans went bye bye from the schedule and wound up in the Marvel TV division under Ike.  And now with Disney+ shows Feige will be in charge there as well.

I am redeading and he is clearly saying that he had full support from Disney, could be lying but Disney was almost certainly put in the loop.

“The budget for Black Panther was bigger than Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, Captain America: Civil War, and you can’t do that without the support and encouragement from the leaders of the company,

I do not suppose he has a 300m greenlight power on a entity that valuable.

The very concept of Fox Searchlight movies is to not need support and encouragement from the company.

Edited by Barnack

I wonder how many clickbait articles there were over the fact that Iron Man shot the movie without a script.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/jeff-bridges-admits-iron-man-movie-had-no-script-5417310

"They had no script, man. They had an outline. We would show up for big scenes every day and we wouldn't know what we were going to say. We would have to go into our trailer and work on this scene and call up writers on the phone, 'You got any ideas?' Meanwhile the crew is tapping their foot on the stage waiting for us to come on."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So, according to Deadline:

"That atrocious 23% Rotten Tomatoes score, the lowest for the franchise, means casual fans aren’t even going to attend. Just the hardcore ones. Three stars here from general audiences who turned up at 85% on PostTrak. Sixty percent guys last night, 40% females. A low 51% definite recommend.  Guys loathe Dark Phoenix more than woman, 67% to 77%."

Also from Deadline

Disney has better bragging rights in No. 3 spot with Aladdin with $25.5M, -40% in weekend 3 with a running total of $233.M.

Legendary/Warner Bros.’ Godzilla: King of the Monsters looks like 4M in its 2nd Friday, -79% for second downer of a weekend of $14.5M, -69% with a running total by Sunday of $77.5M.

Paramount’s Rocketman is seeing $3M today, -67%, for a second weekend of $11M, -57% and a 10-day of $47.5M. 

Universal/Blumhouse’s Ma is seeing 2M today,  -72%, for a 3 day of $7M, -61%, and a 10-day of $31.9M.

GOOD LORD at those Godzilla and Rocketman drops. The former makes sense, but the latter seems ridiculous if true.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2