sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

4 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

They might be good at selling originals, but had they realized that they should have followed early Pixar strategy, where Toy Story movies, Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo, Incredibles, Cars, Ratatouille, Wall-e, and UP came out in quick succession before they dig into the sequel business, by which time all of the sequels (TS3, Finding Dory, Incredibles 2 etc.) were in super high demand. 

But then again, illumination is no Pixar, if they don't cash in with sequels quick, they might not have much to cash in years down the line.  

Yeah, those movies took time to build a nostalgia type of demand. 

• Like 3

Apocalypse had an inflated Sunday, so I don't think it's the best comp at the moment.

But if Dark Phoenix follows King of the Monsters...

15.5 w/ previews

37.9 weekend

If it follows Deadpool 2

14.3 w/ previews

33.8 weekend

I doubt it will be as frontloaded as DP2, even with poor reviews/WOM, but that KOTM comp is still pretty bad.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

They might be good at selling originals, but had they realized that they should have followed early Pixar strategy, where Toy Story movies, Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo, Incredibles, Cars, Ratatouille, Wall-e, and UP came out in quick succession before they dig into the sequel business, by which time all of the sequels (TS3, Finding Dory, Incredibles 2 etc.) were in super high demand. 

But then again, illumination is no Pixar, if they don't cash in with sequels quick, they might not have much to cash in years down the line.  

To be fair, Despicable Me 2 saw a massive jump from its predecessor.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Everybody else sure isn't putting up much of a fight with what they're putting out, that's for sure.

At this point if it weren't for the fact I'm on club hiatus, I do a Jumanji 2 under Venom club.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

I'm thinking

45m for Pets 2

40m for DP

What a depressing weekend.

Wow. When @YourMother the Edgelord made the bet that SLOP2 and Dark Phoenix combined would come under Aladdin’ss  OW,  I didn’t think it’d happen, but it’s now looking like a real possibility. 

• Like 3

I am so happy that Pixar is focusing more on originals even though I still liked their sequels, I don't want the 3 biggest Animation studios to all focus on sequels as we have enough of those on the live action front. 

While Pixar is going back to originals Illumination will still keep drilling sequels. 

• Like 1

That figure is down 57% from the first 2016 installment’s $5.3M previews which ultimately yielded the best opening weekend for an original piece of IP at $104.3M but not that far from Illumination’s The Grinch ($2.15M). Secret Life of Pets 2 is not expected to be as big as the original, but is poised to win the weekend with $60M 

I doubt 60M is happening with that thursday figure, deadline is way overestimating SLOP 2.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

By comparison, the first Pets did 5.3M three years ago. So...yeah, that's not very pretty.

Also Hotel Transylvania 3 did more (albeit an hour early) with 2.6M. Yikes

That came out in July. All schools were out then. Not many are right now.

Just now, RealLyre said:

I doubt 60M is happening with that thursday figure, deadline is way overestimating SLOP 2.

Deadline always does this. They always try and argue that the initial tracking is where the movie ends up. Endgame could have done 3M in previews, and Deadline would have still said "It's on track for a massive 300M weekend" lol

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

At this point if it weren't for the fact I'm on club hiatus, I do a Jumanji 2 under Venom club.

I am going to find a post I made a quite a while ago predicting IT2, Pets2 and Jumanji 2 doing considerably less than their originals. When they do say lightning doesn't strike twice in the same position, they really mean these movies.