sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

4 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

What a way for the X-men series to go: A Dark Flaming Turkey

I’m pretty sure Logan was the conclusion, there’s no X-Men movie coming out this weekend

• Haha 1

We've endlessly gone on about Avatar leaving no "cultural footprint" despite the box office, but Secret Life of Pets really is a great example of it. Made over $360m and I don't think anybody alive has mentioned it since 2016.

First one was a cute gimmick that paid off. Unless the movie delivers the goods, you're not gonna repeat it. The drop is particularly brutal, though. Never thought it would fall off that much.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

Indonesia and Japan are yet to come. Not sure about Indonesia but Apocalypse only did about 7.35m total in Japan (itself down about 23% from DoFP) and DP is likely gonna do even lower than that. 

thank you. :)

YAY FOR ALADDIN IN JAPAN!!!!!!!!:bravo:

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

Just a thought has Illumination's marketing been worse recently? We thought Grinch would be a monster before the awful trailers same as DM3 and Pets 2 but the latter was more of a comedy sequel in terms that it was one note.

2 minutes ago, zackzack said:

Too much competition in a single month of May 

I agree, a few months back I said two of the family films out of four in the May/June period would underperform due to how close they were, I just bet on the wrong horses. WB could've moved Pikachu to early November as it was barren anyways, same for Pets 2. Frozen 2 would've hurt but not as much as a stuffed May.

47 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Still, at least it will be theatrically profitable and successful. The same can't be said for Dark Phoenix. A WW OW just barely above 100M on a 200M budget is yucktastic and makes Godzilla: King Of The Monsters' performance look beastly in comparison. Safe to say it won't hit 100 DOM with a sub-40 OW either. Terrible conclusion to a historic franchise.

Completely agree. I think a big difference though is that SLOP2 is a key release for its studio while it feels like Disney/Fox are treating DP a bit like a sunk cost. We see this in the recent TV ad spending numbers. These dont give us a complete picture on P&A spend, but i still I think its important look into the studio's overall marketing push. Universal is dishing out a Minion's sized TV spend for SLOP2, the most Ive seen all year, and 60% more than Disney/Fox are spending on DP. Fair enough they are still spending more on DP than they did on AEG, but AEG was an outlier due to the huge promo campaign and already sky high awareness

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/the-secret-life-of-pets-2-again-tops-studios-tv-ad-spending-1203226953/

EDIT: Come to think of it, I think target demographics might have something to do with SLOP2's high TV spend, so it might not be such a good measure of the studio's overall marketing push

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

Based on the summer so far, all I’m seeing is the reality of having too many mega blockbusters so close together. 

Why studios are so afraid of August I’ve no idea. Summer weekdays are great in June/July sure. But not necessarily when you’re third or fourth choice as there’s so much competition. 

Hit the nail on the head. Studios are massive corporations burdened by bureaucracy and very slow to change. At this point so many films have proven the box office potential of non traditional, low competition release dates, yet studios still cannibilize each other rather than spread out their event films to less traditional release dates

Edited by Justin4125
  • Like 2

I really enjoyed Dark Phoenix, but can't say I'm surprised at the CinemaScore. In fact, I predicted something in the B's...

Movie is very fast, but lacks the epic feel from previous movies ( even Apocalypse had that ). Hell, it doesn't even have a Quicksilver sequence like previous movies. The acting is ok/mediocre, the action is just ok/good in the third act. Overall, the movie is very basic, very simple and many people were waiting more than a 105 minutes long X-Men. 

That being said, it was a good run for almost 20 years. The real ending of Fox-Men is Logan ( for Hugh ) and DOFP ( for the original cast ). 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

I remember thinking Illumination's marketing for Grinch was weak too. I know it ended up doing well, but Grinch from the makers of Despicable Me + Minions should've cleared $300M.

DM3, Grinch and SLOP 2 marketing is definitely off from the prior mass saturation year plus marketing of Minions/SLOP/ Sing

I wonder if Sing's under performance - relatively speaking compared to the other two - $270m/$634 -  caused them to cut back on the marketing expense. (still quite a bit higher than Disney spends on animation but not as high as previously)

Edited by TalismanRing

12 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

DM3, Grinch and SLOP 2 marketing is definitely off from the prior mass saturation year plus marketing of Minions/SLOP/ Sing

I wonder if Sing's under performance - relatively speaking compared to the other two - $270m/$634 -  caused them to cut back on the marketing expense. (still quite a bit higher than Disney spends on animation but not as high as previously)

You really think they expected Sing to make as much as Despicable Me 2?

19 minutes ago, zackzack said:

Too much competition in a single month of May 

Too many meh movie coming out in a month.

Beside JW3 got rave reviews and Aladdin , which clearly adored by general audience, all the tentpole released recently are straight out forgettable and meh. Yet, they are jammed together and try to impress the crowd who were shockingly impressed by the EG 

• Like 1