sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

I’ve been waving the ‘too many blockbusters too quickly’ flag for the past few summers as explaining why there are always major casualties in May/June. 

The point further rammed home for me in recent days. I’ve been signed off work with a bad back and can’t really sit down for extended periods without a ton of pain. So moviegoing has been a write off for me. 

I saw Aladdin opening weekend before the injury. In just over a week my backlog now consists of: Godzilla, Ma, Rocketman, X-Men, Pets 2, Booksmart, Late Night. 

Case in point - if you’re an average moviegoer and you skip a week then you arrive at the theater and the choice is just too much. 

Then you get to August and it all slows down!?! It’s non-sensical. 

The Meg did real nice in its August slot last year as it had no competition. 

Nobody learnt. 

• Like 1

I think the question that needs to be asked is:

1. Does Disney just put out better product?

or

2. Does Disney just own and thus put out the product that the public automatically eats up?

or

3. Are people more likely drawn to Disney (or Marvel) as a brand name when it comes to cinema?

There needs to be some explanation as to why Disney is taking up SO much of the share in cinema. It's not even about creativity because ALL of Disney's films this year are from known source material or established franchises.

• Like 1

Disney released the full ''A whole new world'' song from the movie which lead to it trending again both OS and DOM. Higher numbers from NA could also come in today

Edited by Geo1500

Just now, jedijake said:

or

2. Does Disney just own and thus put out the product that the public automatically eats up?

or

3. Are people more likely drawn to Disney (or Marvel) as a brand name when it comes to cinema?

There needs to be some explanation as to why Disney is taking up SO much of the share in cinema. It's not even about creativity because ALL of Disney's films this year are from known source material or established franchises.

People prioritise and if you’re a mega budget movie opening either side of those must-see Disney movies then you’re asking for trouble. 

There are brands that shouldn’t be suffering that are because they’re too damn close to the even bigger brands. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jedijake said:

or

or

Would you be asking this if TSLOP2 didn't flop?

12 hours ago, AlexMA said:

I mean he's the only dude that's not over 60 that can ask for a $150+ million budget for just about anything, I'll give you that. But when you remove the age he is most certainly not the only one. Like the dude or not, every studio in Hollywood (and not just there) would line up tomorrow at his house with a blank check as long as his next movie is made with them, no matter what that movie might be. But now he too works for the Mouse, so that's that.

What I'm trying to say is WB better hold on to Nolan because his kind doesn't grow on trees. And because they know that he gets carte blanche.

Spielberg struggled to get Lincoln financed, so he's not infallible to studios. 

1 minute ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

I think August could be a pretty healthy month in terms of box office with movies like Dora and the Lost City of Gold & Hobbs & Shaw. 

Less competition which means good for Hobbs and Shaw

Pets looks like the same movie as the last one. At least what I’ve seen of it from the trailers it feels like they’ve just churned this one out and the masses have decided they can wait. 

People are more discerning than they’re given credit for. They’re happy to see lazy event movies when there’s nothing else out, but put one of them out that’s close to a perceived quality event movie - toast. 

17 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I’ve been waving the ‘too many blockbusters too quickly’ flag for the past few summers as explaining why there are always major casualties in May/June. 

The point further rammed home for me in recent days. I’ve been signed off work with a bad back and can’t really sit down for extended periods without a ton of pain. So moviegoing has been a write off for me. 

I saw Aladdin opening weekend before the injury. In just over a week my backlog now consists of: Godzilla, Ma, Rocketman, X-Men, Pets 2, Booksmart, Late Night. 

Case in point - if you’re an average moviegoer and you skip a week then you arrive at the theater and the choice is just too much. 

Nobody learnt. 

Even the "lesser" months are getting increasingly stuffy though. October has three tentpole movies in a row and February next year looks like feast or famine.

SLOP 2 is not a flop and will be fine.  For some folks, it may be a disappointment, b/c they hoped this movie could match the magic of the 1st...but it was kinda clear it wasn't gonna do that a few weeks ago (at least for OW - I never write legs off on OW just in case it nails the family:)...

For the next 2 weeks, it gets to be the swim team/summer camp movie, and gets to enjoy 2 weeks as the obvious "all gender/all ages" family movie.  Toys 4 will hurt, but then it gets another 2 weeks of prime summer weekdays (since it won't be dropped at Toys 4 - Dark Phoenix obviously goes before it:)...and movies like this thrive on summer weekdays...

Since it offered no promos (unlike Dark Phoenix which had Atom and Fandango ticket deals), I expect 1st cheap shows and Tuesdays to be absolute sellouts for this movie for a few weeks, while families prioritize their funds...camps/groups get the same type deals for matinees, so those should also do well for weeks, but maybe not sell out.  It will only be weak at night, which is the normal norm for these types of movies.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Nobody learnt. 

It's because August is a dead zone in which studios dump their duds or movies with little financial potential cause people are either getting their last whiff of summer or are preparing or going back to school (while the industry itself is getting ready for the fall film festivals/holiday box office/awards season). Just look at what's set to open the entire second half of the month for evidence.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's because August is a dead zone in which studios dump their duds or movies with little financial potential cause people are either getting their last whiff of summer or are preparing or going back to school (while the industry itself is getting ready for the fall film festivals/holiday box office/awards season). Just look at what's set to open the entire second half of the month for evidence.

Most movies get good holds in the last few weeks of August up until Labor Day, so the market is clearly there. Something that can properly tap into audience excitement like IT could clean house I think.

1 minute ago, cookie said:

Most movies get good holds in the last few weeks of August up until Labor Day, so the market is clearly there. Something that can properly tap into audience excitement like IT could clean house I think.

It's most easy for stuff to hold well when nothing of note comes out tbh.