sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

This has to be one of the worst summer weekends where two tentpoles opened.  Box office completely died this weekend 

To be fair, the writing was on the wall for both of them by the time this week came (Phoenix much more so given the multiple delays and poor reviews plus franchise fatigue and everybody knowing a reboot is coming).

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Wait, so DP Friday is actually $14m? Holy smokes, my prediction about it going as low as 30 looks like it could pan out. Hell, 30 isn’t even guaranteed with that number. 

At the very least, I was expecting it to go below 10% of Endgame's OW.

Edited by Jay Beezy

6 minutes ago, picores said:

John Wick 3 locks 150m DOM, Pikachu will fall short.

John Wick 3 also bests the likes of Godzilla and X-Men domestically this year. Did Tony Stark's snap affect our moviegoing?

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Haha 2

Since summer 2015/2016, I’d say it’s sequel fatigue every year. It’s not really a studio thing in my opinion. Disney has had their fair share of summertime sadness.

I’d say 2015 while we had Jurassic World, Rogue Nation, Pitch Perfect 2, Age Of Ultron, and even Mad Max shine in the successful sequel category. We had sequels like Ted 2 or Terminator: Genisys underperform.  I’m not going to consider Magic Mike XXL a complete failure, it had a drop-off but it’s modest budget saved it. 

2016 is a prime example of sequel fatigue,  oh my. TMNT 2, Alice 2, Star Trek: Beyond, Now You See Me 2, Independence Day: Resurgence, Ice Age 5, and kinda even X-Men:Apocalypse. Although Captain America: Civil War, Neighbors 2, Conjuring 2, Purge: Election Year, and Finding Dory were still hits.

2017 was probably the nail in the coffin. Cars 3, War For The Planet Of The Apes, Pirates 5, Alien: Covenant, and Transformers 5 all disappointed or bombed. But Despicable Me 3, Annabelle: Creation, and Guardians 2 were hits.

Last year had sequel fatigue with just Solo: A Star Wars Story. Equalizer 2, Fallout, Mamma Mia 2, Hotel Transylvania 3, Ant-Man and The Wasp, Sicario 2, Fallen Kingdom, Ocean’s 8, Deadpool 2, Incredibles 2, and The First Purge were all hits.

this summer is gonna be a shocker(no not the Wes Craven movie) but a shock as in John Wick will outgross both Dark Phoenix and Godzilla this summer. A reason why Aladdin is holding up so well is because Disney’s Live-Action remakes are hot right now. Why Dark Phoenix is flopping is because the American people and people on planet earth can go home and watch a much similar film8843203.jpg

for free on HBO/Cinemax. Or even find it cheap on dvd or Blu-ray instead of paying $11.50 or more on a ticket. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

To be fair, the writing was on the wall for both of them by the time this week came (Phoenix much more so given the multiple delays and poor reviews plus franchise fatigue and everybody knowing a reboot is coming).

I really don’t think there’s anything remotely normal or predictive about that SLOP drop and I don’t buy anyone could have seen it coming until these recent presale made it clear it was in trouble. It’s dropping 60% in admissions on OW. There are zero first sequel animated comps for something like that and not even a lot of live action ones. The few that there are (like Alice 2) are movies where the first wasn’t particularly liked and they waited ages to make a sequel. This is an absolute and complete disaster and it’s at least a little shocking considering SLOP is the second highest grossing non-Disney animated film of all time and the third highest non-sequel. 

Edited by MovieMan89

25 minutes ago, TMP said:

Not really all that depressing that one bad movie made more money than two others. Disney seems to be making the only bad movies that audiences want to see though, so maybe other studios should try making good movies to fill that gap in the market

I have not seen Godzilla yet, but Detective Pikachu =/= bad movie, and Detective Pikachu >>>>> Aladdin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I really don’t think there’s anything remotely normal or predictive about that SLOP drop and I don’t buy anyone could have seen it coming until these recent presale made it clear it was in trouble. It’s dropping 60% in admissions on OW. There are zero first sequel animated comps for something like that and not even a lot of live action ones. The few that there are (like Alice 2) are movies where the first wasn’t particularly liked and they waited ages to make a sequel. This is an absolute and complete disaster and it’s at least a little shocking considering SLOP is the second highest grossing non-Disney animated film of all time the third highest non-sequel. 

Happy Feet Two and Lego Movie 2 both cratered from their predecessors. Pets 2 is hardly setting a precedent.

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

Deadline just downgraded Phoenix's opening to 33.9M lmao

With 14m it will only do around 29 for the weekend if it stays flat with Friday proper on Sat. Which is what I’d expect. Apocalypse only had a slight increase, but the WOM on this seems even worse. 

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Happy Feet Two and Lego Movie 2 both cratered from their predecessors. Pets 2 is hardly setting a precedent.

I completely forgot until this post a Happy Feet Two even existed. And I saw that in theaters!

7 minutes ago, PatrickvD said:

Why would audiences invest in another X-Men movie when Disney is going to reboot the whole series anyway? Some might have been waiting to see if it was any good but it wasn’t so it’ll tank spectacularly.

don't think most people are aware of what's happening behind the scenes.