sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

You guys are just showing once again at this site that anything that isn't Pixar you guys just shit on LOL illumination has been making hit movies now for more than a decade and sure this sequel is going to drop from the original but the original made piles of money and the budget is low enough on this one that it's not going to matter how much it makes. It's going to be another hit for illumination and I guess there will be salty tears here again.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Knock It Off 3

Just now, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

Eh, I figured the majority of schools are out by June

Ours don't get out until last week of June.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Everybody else sure isn't putting up much of a fight with what they're putting out, that's for sure.

Sony has Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Spidey. The former should do $200m dom imo

Runtimes w/out credits and attachments for next week's releases:

Shaft: 1:46. Attachments unknown (likely The Kitchen and Blinded by the Light)

MIB International: 1:46. Attachments unknown (likely Far From Home and maybe Charlie's Angels?)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Been saying this for months but Minions 2 is definitely next for a big drop, it screams IA5/Pets 2/LM2, and Sing 2 is also in danger. 

I'm just glad Minions 2 won't be in contention to win worldwide box office next year. 

• Like 2

I don’t know what Fox was thinking pumping in 200M into this movie. It has no chance of making a profit during its theatrical run.

However, the X-Men are lucky to be out of Fox’s hands now. Disney will probably reboot the franchise and this movie will be forgotten faster than its theatrical run. 

1 minute ago, baumer said:

You guys are just showing once again at this site that anything that isn't Pixar you guys just shit on LOL illumination has been making hit movies now for more than a decade and sure this sequel is going to drop from the original but the original made piles of money and the budget is low enough on this one that it's not going to matter how much it makes. It's going to be another hit for illumination and I guess there will be salty tears here again.

I'm like the only person on this board that stans for animation especially WAG and SPA in general. No one is denying it'll be a hit and Illumination is probably still the most powerful non Disney animated studio right now but you have to admit the domestic drop is nasty.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

People here liked Lego Movie 2 and were said it flopped. People here also liked Dragon 3 and were excited to see it open so high. People here liked Into the Spider-Verse and were ecstatic to see its legs. But sure, go off I guess

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Like 15

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Ours don't get out until last week of June.

Yeah, but that’d still be the majority DOM BO-wise.

Sure, July you’ll have even more of an effect (which could account for some of that preview drop), but overall SLOP2 is looking at a pretty hefty drop.

2 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Disney domination=Red Wedding to everyone else this year

That's kind of sad and bad in general. There's a good chance Disney/Fox can have 50% of the market, that's not something to be cheering about.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

I don’t know what Fox was thinking pumping in 200M into this movie. It has no chance of making a profit during its theatrical run.

However, the X-Men are lucky to be out of Fox’s hands now. Disney will probably reboot the franchise and this movie will be forgotten faster than its theatrical run. 

Pretty sure there ended up being extensive reshoots once they figured this would be the last one, which no doubt increased the budget.

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

The point is baumer, that they are good at selling their originals. We need them to stick to that instead of the many sequels they have released and have planed out for the next coming years. Other than Despicable Me 2, none of their sequels look likely to top their originals, which point to a downward path. I don't know if they are running out of ideas, but they are churning out the sequel rather quickly. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

That's kind of sad and bad in general. There's a good chance Disney/Fox can have 50% of the market, that's not something to be cheering about.

not their fault, the slate of wb.uni,sony is very bad this year , save for some of their movies

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

I completely agree. People are so anxious to call flops here, especially when its another studio not related to the mouse. Objectively speaking, it won’t take too much of a heavy lift to have Pets 2 turn a profit. Profitability is the main objective of a studio. 

• Like 1