sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Booksmart is a great movie that should be doing much better than it has but this was never happening, come on now.

The whole post is a "why didnt the best case scenario for every film" happen set of gripes. 

He will learn, I hope. 

• Like 1

Yikes for the "big" openers this weekend.

Dark Phoenix is burning down quite rapidly. I don't think Apocalypse's 4-day OW ($79M) may happen by the end of its run. Heck, if this legs out more like BvS, Apocalypse's 3-day OW might be in jeopardy as well. I don't think this would have done well in any of its previous release dates either. Altogether a terrible performance.

SLOP2 will most definitely be profitable, but it's all together a pretty sloppy result. Had this been Dumbo instead with the same $80M budget we'd be singing a much different tune here, but this is a sequel to a movie that opened to $104M and broke records just 3 years ago, so alas, here we are. Given Illumination's track record, a 50%+ drop next weekend is certainly in the cards, and Toy Story 4 will only make things worse for it. $150M seems somewhat reasonable here, but a run similar to Cars 3 (or worse, Dumbo) would put it even closer to holding the title of the lowest grossing Illumination film adjusted for inflation. Probably would have been equally bad (if not worse) if this kept its original date releasing alongside Far From Home.

• Like 1

Just now, Geo1500 said:

With a better slot why not

First off the distributor, secondly the WOM from the handful of general audience that I personally know have seen it has not been good. For a film from a small distribution co, that will kill your long term box office without awards season to make it better. 

I would argue the film came out at the wrong time but getting over 50m would be tough, let alone 75. 

41 minutes ago, DAJK said:

IT won't be. MiB will barely open above Phoenix, and Shaft will be lucky to crack 20M

Depends if they pull the core demo they are obviously trying to crack...3 generations for that movie should help give it a Father's Day lift, since it's obviously gonna have a core family (granddad/dad/son) message...

And it looks different and new, and yet the same..that tends to actually be a key thing for movie success this year - see Aladdin and JW 3...

But it could also suck...and that would probably quickly deflate the movie's chances...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

KOTM could miss $100M. How many sequels failed to reach $100M after the first film hit $200M? I bet the list isn't too long. 

Alice Through the Looking Glass rings a bell.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

With a better slot why not

Movies about teenagers haven't been lighting the box office on fire for years. Even Love, Simon (one of the more acclaimed major studio releases of last year) barely crossed $40M while Lady Bird only got as far as it did because it was a major Oscar contender. The Edge of Seventeen and Eighth Grade also found a limited audience in theaters despite universal acclaim for both as well. Unfortunately, streaming is really the place where movies like this can really flourish.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

Brogan was such a nice closure for the FoxMen CU.

Deadpool, while a X-Men, feels like a separate entity with its juvenile & immature tone.

It is time for .. drum roll please ... :

X-Women !

Edited by The Futurist

31 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

KOTM could miss $100M. How many sequels failed to reach $100M after the first film hit $200M? I bet the list isn't too long. 

3 minutes ago, nick64 said:

Alice Through the Looking Glass rings a bell.

Exorcist 232M

Exorcist 2 32M   

Happy Feet 198M (close)

HF2 64M

The Fugitive 184M 

U.S Marshals 57M  

Evan Almighty did just 100.5M after Bruce Almighty’s 243M, might be how KOTM goes.

6 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Exorcist 232M

Exorcist 2 32M   

Happy Feet 198M (close)

HF2 64M

The Fugitive 184M 

U.S Marshals 57M  

Evan Almighty did just 100.5M after Bruce Almighty’s 243M, might be how KOTM goes.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2

Ted 2

Jaws 2

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 3