sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

2 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Christmas is no longer empty. Sony just dated Uncharted to Dec 18, 2020. It will battle Disney/Fox's West Side Story on that date, and Disney's Cruella and Uni's The Croods 2 a week later.

Uncharted isn’t a proven title and I wouldn’t be surprised if WB are able to scare it away with a tentpole

28 minutes ago, baumer said:

Who is @Menor....do you have access to numbers? 

Menor is "just" interperting Fandango data.

However they are really really really good at it. ;)

But, no, they don't have access to the hard Comscore data. :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Uncharted isn’t a proven title and I wouldn’t be surprised if WB are able to scare it away with a tentpole

Aquabrah just did $1.1B there, a DC tentpole would make sense for X-Mas. Gunn's Squad 2, or Black Adam could work. Maybe even The Flash if that November 2019 start date was true (and they got an actor).

15 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Looks like Godzilla v Kong will likely be delayed 

Toby Emmerich briefly talks about how Godzilla vs kong could be delayed towards later in 2020 to make an "A+" movie which is translation for "reshoots".

https://deadline.com/2019/06/warner-studio-toby-emmerich-peter-roth-dc-netflix-godzilla-vs-kong-kevin-tsujihara-1202629538/

Quotes of the day from Toby Emmerich:

That said, the Disney/Fox merger “will allow us to take risks on films they normally wouldn’t consider,” said Emmerich.

“Fox/Disney – I’m jealous because they will be the No. 1 (producer) for the foreseeable future.”

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

Aquabrah just did $1.1B there, a DC tentpole would make sense for X-Mas. Gunn's Squad 2, or Black Adam could work. Maybe even The Flash if that November 2019 start date was true (and they got an actor).

It’s a bit tight for Black Adam as it’s unlikely to shoot before next year as Dwayne already has Red Notice before that. 

At the moment I think if WB wants a tent pole for December it’ll be between Godzilla vs Kong or The Suicide Squad. 

11 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

And it's a Video game movie.  We just saw how hard it was for Pika to get it's numbers and it's a way bigger video game franchise than "Uncharted".    I'm also torn on it as well.   We were speculating a GodVKong move to Dec in the thread.  Looks like studio is thinking about it too.  Star Wars in recent years and with Aquaman last year has show Christmas Box Office is no joke, big Money to made in Dec.  Not saying this will catch fire then but there's money to made and No Star Wars or Avatar there.   It's anyone's Christmas next year.  

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Sure...

B/c a movie drafting off a 2.7B+ movie and the $2B+ movie before that with a previous well reviewed $334m movie is applicable to an oft delayed  film with bad reviews coming off a $155m film with mediocre reviews which fell off a third from the previous X-Men film.

3 hours ago, TMP said:

lmao

Knew it was a joke but is fishing for likes is my guess. cuz otherwise...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

Alita doesn't look so bad now after Dumbo, Shazam, Pikachu, Godzilla and X-Men. 

HTTYD3 went from good to great, I'd say. It's been a brutal year for everything except MCU and Aladdin so far. 

Alita's dom will be lower than all except X-Men. It's dom will also be half the prod budget.

Shazam is the best of the lot with 90-100 prod budget, 139+ dom.

Pikachu next, with 145+ on 150 prod budget and nearly 300 os.

Alita is also China heavy like KOTM and won't get good returns. KOTM will at least target 100 Dom.

Edited by a2k

Alita didn’t succeed, but it remains my favorite movie of the year besides Endgame with John Wick 3 close in there. Alita kicked ass, an absolutely awesome movie from visuals to story to world building. 

• Haha 2
  • Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, excel1 said:

The early June release date sucks. Everyone is spent after May/Memorial Day, it's finals/graduation/nice weather season.

Nowadays is so different than the 80s and 90s. W/ exception of Christmas, biggest openings happen when people are in the middle of life routine and want a break. Millennials LOVE their travel making most weekends poor choices. 

Wonder Woman 1984 needs to move and get ahead of BLACK WIDOW if it wants to be the mega blockbuster it can be. The June 5th date sucks.

Most colleges near me get off in mid May. WW did gangbusters in the slot, Pets 2 and X-Men simply weren’t appealing.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, expensiveho said:

Alita doesn't look so bad now after Dumbo, Shazam, Pikachu, Godzilla and X-Men. 

HTTYD3 went from good to great, I'd say. It's been a brutal year for everything except MCU and Aladdin so far. 

Success isn't relative to other success. It's relative to the expense.