sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

8 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Oooh damn. I'm pretty sure it's Australia's first metro, too?

Yes. First driverless Metro. An extension through the Sydney CBD is currently under construction. 

53 minutes ago, Finnick said:

100% Disney made using Sony money. Technically  it is a Disney movie and Sony assure Marketing and distribution and get all the box office income.

It’s made by Sony/Marvel. Seeing that Sony logo at the beginning must make your ditsy head explode. 

3 minutes ago, VENOM said:

I know right who does that? Oh yeah Disney fans..

Not only is dumb to stan any studio it's especially dumb to stan one that is averse to making adult films. I like the Marvel stuff but I don't only want that and bad live action remakes. To see people cheering that on is disturbing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • ...wtf 2

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

Not only is dumb to stan any studio it's especially dumb to stan one that is averse to making adult films. I like the Marvel stuff but I don't only want that and bad live action remakes. To see people cheering that on is disturbing. 

Can we stan A24?

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Disney has attempted to make more mature movies before, i think their last attempt was The Finest Hours, though i guess that was 3 years ago now....

Gonna point out in all the doom and gloom that Rocketman's going to hit a 42-43% drop off a solid opening weekend, easily the best of last weekend's releases. Will likely leg its way out past 90m. Totally respectable for a 40m grosser (though I imagine marketing was at least that much), which will clear 200 worldwide. Whether this was the best time of year to put it out for the film itself I'm unsure about, but it's definitive proof that an original movie for adults can fight its way past the summer insanity if 1. the marketing buy is strong enough 2. the movie is good. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Disney has attempted to make more mature movies before, i think their last attempt was The Finest Hours, though i guess that was 3 years ago now....

No nudity or cussin'. Not an adult film.

More adult fare would be a smart move by studios. Yeah you ain't gonna rack up the humongous grosses that a PG-13 tentpole film could potentially get but atm no one other than Universal maybe has big enough franchises to challenge Disney in that department. 

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Not only is dumb to stan any studio it's especially dumb to stan one that is averse to making adult films.

stan-ing is weird, period. 

But the idea that Disney is averse to making adult films is pretty incorrect. Over the course of its history there's been

Touchstone 
Miramax

Hollywood Pictures

And now:  20th Century Fox and Fox Searchlight.  Plus, adult oriented or not, many of the films Disney pays for are very well made. There aren't a lot of movies for grownups that are as thoughtful and heartfelt as much of Pixar's output, for example. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, NCsoft said:

Your post was obviously talking about Cameron, I was actually going to say something along the lines of : Is Cameron becoming "He who shall not be named"? Since you didn't mention him by name at all :lol: 

I mean if you think about it, how terrified people are of his return, how he has been away for so long, not to mention the number of those who unconditionally bow to him and await his return, dude is definitely about the closest thing a box office board had to "He who shall not be named". I mean think about it, they say lightning doesn't strike twice in the same spot, but for him it did, so therew is some magic there. And so far he has what, 7 movies directed? That's 7 horcroxes, right? So Cameron confirmed BOT's Volde......

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

But the idea that Disney is averse to making adult films is pretty incorrect. Over the course of its history there's been

Touchstone 
Miramax

Hollywood Pictures

Yes, except they stopped using the Touchstone label after 2015 when they realized they can get by on just making big budget/franchise movies.  I can almost guarantee you that most Fox movies they greenlight will either be existing franchises or potential franchise starters, and the Fox Searchlight label will likely not be used as much.  They already shut down Fox 2000, which was a good outlet for mid-budget films (many of which targeted adults).

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1

That’s history but we really have no idea what Disney is going to be going forward. They really have the size to take a few risks and make some interesting films. 

21 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Right on! For me this year I’m looking forward to IT chapter 2 and Ford vs Ferrari. Two completely different types of films that I just can never see Disney ever making and I don’t even know what studios they are from because it shouldn’t matter.

Edited by VENOM

9 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

More adult fare would be a smart move by studios. Yeah you ain't gonna rack up the humongous grosses that a PG-13 tentpole film could potentially get but atm no one other than Universal maybe has big enough franchises to challenge Disney in that department. 

If it was smart, don't you think they would do it already? Best Picture winners barely make any money after all.

• Like 1