sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Happy that, after seeing Dark Phoenix, I'll never have to see that goddamn men in black trailer again. 

I swear I have that shitty trailer practically memorized by now. WHEN THEY ZOOM IN ON THE LITTLE ALIEN GOING "OH SHIII" I JUST LAUGH AND LAUGH AND LAUGH.

Side note to all film studios, things that are not funny and do not count as jokes: Cutting a character off before they can say a swear word, and characters saying "Well this is awkward!" after an awkward pause. THOSE AREN'T JOKES. STOP EXPECTING A LAUGH THERE. IT'S NOT GOD DAMN FUNNY. There. End rant.

7 minutes ago, Avatree said:

If you're going to the cinema this week then who's to say you are safe from the MIB trailer? Fingers crossed for you hun.

i meant not going. brainfart.

Edited by CoolioD1

DP is around a $105M loss according to my calculations, slightly more than Solo. Possibly the 3rd X-Men movie to lose money after Last Stand and First Class (but those are within my formula's extremely wide margin of error so they could have made out even). Surprisingly, KOTM is reading positive on my end but within margin of error. I have Alita around -$40M.

Can i just say that Captain Marvel was pretty damn good and deserves all the money it made? And Brie Larson is an Oscar winner for a reason. She's perfect cast. Very good performance. Even tho i enjoyed WW a little more, Brie was the superior performance. She had more to do and show. Haters online can choke

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

I can guarantee you if a studio gave a similar level of marketing to a mid-budget adult drama as they gave to, say, Shazam! or Detective Pikachu, it'd probably perform on par if not better than both of those (depending on how appealing the premise of the movie is).

Shazam had no marketing 

1 hour ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

exactly.... there is no way something as aggressively aimed specifically at teen boys like Mortal Kombat is going to make more than Pikachu... especially with an R rating.

To be frank, it's too ugly, gross, dumb, cheesey, and corny to appeal beyond its built in audience. That's why I said they had to make fun of themselves and make it a campy Deadpool-like cartoon in order to work. General audiences wont get on board otherwise. Mortal Kombat without self-parody is basically a dumber Batman v Superman. Mortal Kombat is cool as a video game because you're playing it. Mortal Kombat as a story is basically just a bunch of edgy Garbage Pail Kids stuck in a bad D and D campaign.

Your dropping some bombs disrespecting MK uncalled for..😊 Who said it was gonna be R-rated? PG13 is where the money is at. Superhero genre will not be around forever and someone else has to fill in the shoes. Mortal Kombat is here for that grabbing some spillovers. MK has been building up from the 90s until today that is 30-years. It's finally here to breakout baby.. 

If you can't see the potential then you must be potential blind..🤑

66F9F1C3A4D9D4809534D7CEE453190E2F95CC5F

Edited by Geo1500

2 hours ago, Geo1500 said:

If the superhero genre found audience with Male - Teen/adults and kids/family so can Mortal Kombat which means sacrificing alot of the blood and go PG13. 

MK is Superhero genre on steriods the excitement level can reach orgasmic levels as far as action goes

No one wants an MK that's PG-13 everyone has been begging for an MK R rated movie.

13 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

If you can't see the potential then you must be potential blind..🤑

Consider me blind then because I'd be shocked if it could pull over $400 million worldwide. 

12 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

No one wants an MK that's PG-13 everyone has been begging for an MK R rated movie.

It dosen't matter what the few want because there is bigger market in PG13 and it can be done in PG13 with good scripts and director. Gold mine

Edited by Geo1500

8 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

Even with R-rated it's gonna make way above that

Pokemon, with much broader appeal and a much larger franchise, barely made that. No video game adaptation has made more than $450m worldwide. The realistic target for a Mortal Kombat film should be $300 million worldwide, at best. Expecting more is setting yourself up to be let down. 

14 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Pokemon, with much broader appeal and a much larger franchise, barely made that. No video game adaptation has made more than $450m worldwide. The realistic target for a Mortal Kombat film should be $300 million worldwide, at best. Expecting more is setting yourself up to be let down. 

Det-Pika was completely watered down version of the original which is why it failed to go higher. As for Warcraft they used the wrong characters hence why they should have used Hellscream thats just my opinion it was not done properly but with a hellscream lead movie it could have been perhaps completely different. 

This 4 mins cinematic commercial is better then the entire warcraft movie. 

As for MK It's a whole different animal. If you give MK to a credible director who has good writers it's bound to success on the Box office

Edited by Geo1500

Read a few Cap Marvel comments, so I thought I'd throw in my two cents. 

After sitting on the movie for a few months, my biggest problem in it is the writing. It felt very basic, with the writers simply looking to move a plot forward without bringing out any subtleties to the character. The most depth you get for Danvers is when Jude Law said at the beginning "you have to learn to control your emotions". Problem is, we never actually SEE her having problems with her emotions. Now I know people out there on youtube like to bitch "it's because SJW Marvel just doesn't want the character to have any weaknesses"

Nah that's not it at all, the writers just failed to demonstrate any depth to the character that they had intended for her to have. It's a classic example of "show don't tell". They told us her character had layers to her, but never actually showed us those layers.

Beyond that, the performances were good, the effects were great (particularly the de-aging), and it was decent filler until Endgame. Will I watch it again? Maybe not, just because there isn't any depth to the movie to explore during a second viewing, but it was perfectly fine popcorn entertainment. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

Det-Pika was completely watered down version of the original which is why it failed to go higher. As for Warcraft they used the wrong characters hence why they should have used Hellscream thats just my opinion it was not done properly with a hellscream lead movie it could have been completely different. 

This 4 mins cinematic commercial is better then the entire warcraft movie. 

As for MK It's a whole different animal. If you give MK to a credible director who has good writers it's bound to success on the Box office. 

Dude, right now WB executives are in deep shit after the GKATOM and LEGO debacle. And the so so boxoffice of Shazam and Pika. The last thing they need  is swimming in unknown waters and invest in a new IP like MK. 

• Founder / Operator
20 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I think X-Men will be more like Guardians of the Galaxy in terms of team films. Apart from Deadpool, I don't see them doing solo X-Men films, I could see characters like Xavier, Cyclops and maybe Storm make appearances in other films beforehand. 

That's very possible too. I think the beauty of X-Men is so many characters have rich potential. The more I think about it, having individual characters intro'd in other MCU movies might make the most sense in terms of setting up an eventual X-Men team movie -- and/or X-Men vs. Avengers.

Kind of a hybrid of the MCU solo and team origins so far. Since it's earth-based, there's room to sprinkle in major characters over the next few years, which GOTG couldn't really do before their collective origin story.

• Like 3