sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

Well...my $5 will be going to it (Dark Phoenix) on Tuesday. I didn't have that faith in its quality to begin with all along because of the filmography of the writer/director. But one last time to close out the era as far as I'm concerned.

Dark Phoenix audience demos: "Those who showed were 58% male/42% female and 71% under 35 with 56% falling between 18 – 34 years old. The mix was 41% Caucasian, 25% Hispanic, 17% African American, & 17% Asian/Other." (Deadline) (comparisons w/ 2 week exit data)

rp7yrXY.png

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

Det-Pika was completely watered down version of the original which is why it failed to go higher. As for Warcraft they used the wrong characters hence why they should have used Hellscream thats just my opinion it was not done properly but with a hellscream lead movie it could have been perhaps completely different. 

This 4 mins cinematic commercial is better then the entire warcraft movie. 

As for MK It's a whole different animal. If you give MK to a credible director who has good writers it's bound to success on the Box office

yeah man, an animated commercial is totally comparable to a feature film. They should have got the blizzard staff to make the whole movie instead of Legendary. it would have ruled. those sparkly effects are so cooool.

who needs talentless hacks like Duncan Jones to make it. should have got Chris Metzen to do the whole thing himself.

Edited by Avatree

33 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

It’s easy to get get a video game adaptation over 1B.   

Step 1: Avengers video game...

Thing is, I don't think any superhero video game has made a billion though lol. That would require about 16.6m in sales which hasn't been done. Spiderman was the most successful one in years and even that only sold about 9m copies (aprox 539m gross)

Edited by DisposedData
A word.

7 minutes ago, Finnick said:

Dude, right now WB executives are in deep shit after the GKATOM and LEGO debacle. And the so so boxoffice of Shazam and Pika. The last thing they need  is swimming in unknown waters and invest in a new IP like MK. 

They already did. Mortal Kombat reboot movie has already a premier date March 5th 2021. I am not excited about Shazam, Zilla 2 or Lego but MK thats a different case. James wan to direct the movie and that is something great

Edited by Geo1500

18 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Read a few Cap Marvel comments, so I thought I'd throw in my two cents. 

After sitting on the movie for a few months, my biggest problem in it is the writing. It felt very basic, with the writers simply looking to move a plot forward without bringing out any subtleties to the character. The most depth you get for Danvers is when Jude Law said at the beginning "you have to learn to control your emotions". Problem is, we never actually SEE her having problems with her emotions. Now I know people out there on youtube like to bitch "it's because SJW Marvel just doesn't want the character to have any weaknesses"

Nah that's not it at all, the writers just failed to demonstrate any depth to the character that they had intended for her to have. It's a classic example of "show don't tell". They told us her character had layers to her, but never actually showed us those layers.

Beyond that, the performances were good, the effects were great (particularly the de-aging), and it was decent filler until Endgame. Will I watch it again? Maybe not, just because there isn't any depth to the movie to explore during a second viewing, but it was perfectly fine popcorn entertainment. 

I thought the whole point was that she had been told that she had problems with her emotions, but really her emotions were not a problem and were in fact a strength

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, DisposedData said:

Thing is, I don't think any superhero video game has made a billion though lol. That would require about 16.6m in sales which hasn't been done. Spiderman was the most successful one in years and even that only sold about 9m copies (aprox 539m gross)

Arkham Knight had an estimated 1 billion... refunds.

:Venom:

22 minutes ago, DAJK said:

The most depth you get for Danvers is when Jude Law said at the beginning "you have to learn to control your emotions". Problem is, we never actually SEE her having problems with her emotions.

That is because she doesn’t HAVE ONE. Her struggle and journey centers on learning that Jude Law is a gaslighting jackass, realizing her has no control over her, and then unleashing her power and “emotions”. 

Nah that's not it at all, the writers just failed to demonstrate any depth to the character that they had intended for her to have. It's a classic example of "show don't tell". 

No depth of character? Did you not watch all of her scene with Maria and Monica? MAAAYBE. It’s NOT that she lacked a depth of character, maybe it is that men are not trained to sympathize with women, particularly women who are not stereotypically girly or written via the “male gaze”, and Captain Marvel is a film that unapologetic in its lack of male gaze. 🍵🍵🍵🍵

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Astonished 1

12 minutes ago, DisposedData said:

Thing is, I don't think any superhero video game has made a billion though lol. That would require about 16.6m in sales which hasn't been done. Spiderman was the most successful one in year and even that only sold about 9m copies (aprox 539m gross)

Spiderman 2018 Game Sold more then 9 Million units ..

Batman Arkham City come close .. Game sold 4.6 Million units in just 1 week WW after release .. No data Available since 2012 ..

Edited by Sunny Max

6 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

That is because she doesn’t HAVE ONE. Her struggle and journey centers on learning that Jude Law is a gaslighting jackass, realizing her has no control over her, and then unleashing her power and “emotions”. 

No depth of character? Did you not watch all of her scene with Maria and Monica? MAAAYBE. It’s NOT that she lacked a depth of character, maybe it is that men are not trained to sympathize with women, particularly women who are not stereotypically girly or written via the “male gaze”, and Captain Marvel is a film that unapologetic in its lack of male gaze. 🍵🍵🍵🍵

He wrote a perfectly reasonable and eloquent description of his response to a film, and you accuse him of not having been "trained to sympathise" with women and not understanding because he's a dumb male.

The hell is wrong with you? Jeez.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Who paid for the worldwide P&A? 

Probably FOX.

Disney-haters who want to think Mighty Disney is losing any kind of serious money on this are deluding themselves. 

Plus, the flop gives Disney a nice clean slate with which to integrate the X-Men into their MCU a couple years or so from now. Too bad, in a sense, because Dark Phoenix is actually a fun, entertaining movie.

Overall, the Mouse comes out shiny and clean. 

Edited by SteveJaros
  • ...wtf 1

16 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Probably FOX.

Disney-haters who want to think Mighty Disney is losing any kind of serious money on this are deluding themselves. 

Plus, the flop gives Disney a nice clean slate with which to integrate the X-Men into their MCU a couple years or so from now. Too bad, in a sense, because Dark Phoenix is actually a fun, entertaining movie.

Overall, the Mouse comes out shiny and clean. 

Well, they do get the box office revenue...so they sure aren't making any money off of it with this opening:)...

• Like 1

SHAZAM did about 320 WW-China which gave it a great theatrical return

140*0.55 + 180*0.40 = 149

China was 43*0.25 = ~11

So total returns of approx 160 on 90-100 prod budget which is great.

80 total in China instead of 43 and hence 400 WW would have given it "only" ~9 more, 169 on 90-100 prod budget.

----

ALITA theatrical are about 155 on 170 prod budget and KOTM will be similar.

PIKA with 430 WW will be 145*0.55 + 94*0.25 + 191*0.40 = 180 on 150 prod budget.

51 minutes ago, Sunny Max said:

Spiderman 2018 Game Sold more then 9 Million units ..

Batman Arkham City come close .. Game sold 4.6 Million units in just 1 week WW after release .. No data Available since 2012 ..

Mortal Kombat X sold over 10 Million units. It's an indiction of healthy fanbase. 

Mortal Kombat has been building up for the last 30 yrs. 2020s is gonna be big time for Mk 

Edited by Geo1500

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

Has any Tarantino flick gone over 200M DOM? Even adjusted?

Django is 184m adjusted. This has more star power, and comes out in an emptier landscape for films aimed at the non-genre crowd.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Django is 184m adjusted. This has more star power, and comes out in an emptier landscape for films aimed at the non-genre crowd.

Django had a lot of action. Aren't we hearing quite the opposite with this one? Hobbs and Shaw drops the weekend after. Then, Scary Stories the weekend after that. 

Don't get me wrong, I think Hollywood will do very well. Potentially 150M or so DOM. 200M just seems like a tall order.

• Like 3