sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

3 hours ago, Sindreee said:

Samuel Jackson - 20 (28 with cameos)

Sam is the man and has been in so many Legendary Blockbusters (Star Wars/Jurassic Park/Marvel etc).   With that said, Sam and The Rock's 100 million numbers are mostly supporting where as Tom, Tom and Will are mostly headliners.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sunny Max said:

Hmm right ...

but look at the performance of big films this weekend .. terrible all around ... except Aladdin

Of course their opening are terrible. 

AEG already lost more than 700 screens comparing to IW on this weekend. If that didn't happen, the drop for EG should be much better.

When will the next screen lost happen?

8 minutes ago, danhtruong5 said:

Of course their opening are terrible. 

AEG already lost more than 700 screens comparing to IW on this weekend. If that didn't happen, the drop for EG should be much better.

When will the next screen lost happen?

AEG lost screens due to competition .. TS4 incoming .. they will lost screens again 

3 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Terrible weekend all round. XMen deservedly bombed. I dont know why Fox made this and even more why JLaw and others agreed to do this. Its not as if they dont have any movie offers otherwise.

Image result for $

JLaw exiting the movie early on meant she was allowed to do the bare minimum to promote it as well.

5 hours ago, DAJK said:

I mean, I don’t think you should be saying that I don’t understand her character simply because I am male and am therefore incapable of understanding her because she is “not the typical male gaze Hollywood” female. What does my sex have to do with how I see a movie character? You think that I can’t sympathize with a character because she is a woman and not a man? If captain marvel had been a dude in the exact same movie I would be saying the same thing.

Ok, I think this is a really important debate. And by the way I'm taking this out separately and not criticising your critique of Captain Marvel (though I would agree with the person you're debating here on the whole, it isn't my point).

I think it's a really important thing to acknowledge that male viewers are on the whole trained not to identify with female protagonists except under very specific circumstances. Women are expected and conditioned to read male characters with empathy, but on the whole men are less so.

If you consider the characters wheeled out when guys say "but I love female characters........" and then give examples, there are actually usually two very clear types of female main character that they then list:

Pedestel Characters: i.e.- Wonder Woman, Leia, Alita, Black Widow (earlier movies until around Civil War) and the like. Characters not designed to be identified with by anyone really, because they are archetypes by design and as such identification with them isn't the point.

Sufferers: Laurie Strode, Ripley, Sarah Connor, pretty much all female characters in GOT. Characters who go through extreme levels of suffering and existential threat: something that everyone who has a body can understand, because ultimately physical suffering is non-gendered and the desire to survive and persevere is equally identifiable by everyone.

That's a real limit. And I don't think that from a storyline perspective we should need female characters to go through the wringer just so guys can identify with them.

I don't throw this at you specifically at all. I just honestly think it's an issue that - as someone who has worked in a bookshop and knows the general reaction when you suggest to a parent of a boy a book that has a girl protagonist (an issue that doesn't happen the other way round at all) - we should acknowledge and work around. And I don't think I am some special illuminated person on the issue - I just work in drama training and performance with mostly female students so have spent years focusing mostly on female characterisation so I've ended up generally seeing through female characters just as much as male ones.

I think Captain Marvel did that excellently by framing her personality entirely in terms of the dynamics she had with others (the movie is made almost entirely of duologues) and the different roles those others found for Carol in her life. But I'm happy to disagree on that. But yeah, I really do think that sex has an impact on how one sees characters of other genders after a lifetime of reading stories certain ways and reversing that dynamics is something that on the whole would be fairly beneficial. 

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DAJK said:

But she never struggled with that duality, and whether or not it was there I just don’t think the writers managed to portray that conflict. Larson herself did a good job, she did play conflicted well, but I just kept feeling like the writing was not keeping up with the on-screen talent.

I mean, I don’t think you should be saying that I don’t understand her character simply because I am male and am therefore incapable of understanding her because she is “not the typical male gaze Hollywood” female. What does my sex have to do with how I see a movie character? You think that I can’t sympathize with a character because she is a woman and not a man? If captain marvel had been a dude in the exact same movie I would be saying the same thing.

I understand why people can be defensive about this movie, because there is a large group attacking it simply because it has a female superhero blah blah blah. But I don’t think I should be grouped with those idiots simply because I have my own issues with a (mostly solid) movie.  

I saw it as more of a lie/gaslighting than a duality. In the beginning both Yon Rogg and the Intelligence tell her that she needs to control her emotions, even though it's pretty clear to the audience that she's stable. Later when she realizes she has a history on Earth she pours out her emotions to You Rogg and he gaslights her by telling her it was Skrull trickery. In that moment she's very vulnerable, and you can see how she's dependent on the Kree for her identity. Then when she realizes she's been lied to, she's able to regain her own sense of identity due to the affirmation of her best friend. So the struggle is not really about emotions but about identity. I do think there's more depth in this movie than you're giving it credit for. 

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Geo1500 said:

If the superhero genre found audience with Male - Teen/adults and kids/family so can Mortal Kombat which means sacrificing alot of the blood and go PG13. 

MK is Superhero genre on steriods the excitement level can reach orgasmic levels as far as action goes

Um if you get rid of the blood and gore,  what's the point?

3 hours ago, danhtruong5 said:

The problem is not overperform or underperform. The problem is screen lost. More expected big openers =  more screen lost in short period of time.

But it was underperforming below IW before losing any screens, so that's a poor excuse.

Fact is, most of the fans came out in the to see it within the first 2 weeks to be the 1st to see the conclusion, and to avoid any spoilers!

And judging by comments on social media, a lot of those fans were angry and disappointed by what the Russo's have done to many of their favorite character's storylines. And I think that negatively affected EG boxoffice legs, because it resulted in a lot of one-and-done, instead of repeat viewings!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

But it was underperforming below IW before losing any screens, so that's a poor excuse.

Fact is, most of the fans came out in the to see it within the first 2 weeks to be the 1st to see the conclusion, and to avoid any spoilers!

And judging by comments on social media, a lot of those fans were angry and disappointed by what the Russo's have done to many of their favorite character's storylines. And I think that negatively affected EG boxoffice legs, because it resulted in a lot of one-and-done, instead of repeat viewings!

Aren't these the superminority? Because overall, EG has very positive WOM judging by the high Cinemascore and audience scores.

Edited by UserHN
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

What? Obviously no movie can please everyone but the vast majority of fans loved EG, which can be seen in every possible metric of audience reception

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

I think the former of those comments is more important than the latter.

I just think that the four-quadrant credentials of Endgame - and indeed any genre movie - has a limit that, okay, far outweighs the generic average move but that at the largest and most cosmic movie-titan level is considerably below that of a Titanic, a Sound of Music, an ET, or to go back even further a Gone with the Wind or Ten Commandments.

You can put it to a simple grandma test: how many grandmas saw Endgame compared to those 5? I would proffer it isn't in the same stratosphere. 

I really think Endgame was received as well as it was ever possibly going to be received. But it's a genre movie, and comparing it to non-genre behemoths it has so, so much to make up in the youth and genre-orientated markets it is always going to struggle to compare. Only Star Wars and Exorcist ever have and that's by multi-multi-multi repeat viewing over years in times long ago before home video.  

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 1

Infinity War was rewatchable because everyone knew it was all fake and could be fixed in the 2nd movie. It was considerably faster in pace. I loved EG saw it 3 times but each time the pace is more noticable. It's still my favorite but I understand more and more why people don't like the pace.

The finality of EG without any mention of an AI Arc is rough.

Edited by cdsacken

1 minute ago, UserHN said:

Aren't these the superminority? Because overall, EG has positive WOM judging by the Cinemascore and audience scores.

They're absolutely a superminority. I don't know which line in this thread is more confusing.... the idea that Endgame is underperforming because fans didn't like it... or the fact people are still talking about Mortal Kombat. 

Next time you're talking to somebody about fans, and they use the phrase "well a lot of fans think...." step back and take in the larger perspective. Because the person using it isn't lying or anything like that.... but they are being a little unfair. Because if 30 million people all watch a thing, and 2% of that 30 million thought it was lame.... 2% of 30 million is still by any reasonable definition.... a LOT of people. It's 600k people! So you could be talked into believing that lot of people need to be considered carefully. This happens with the media all the time when they write stories about some stupid petition or some angry twitter thread that 20k people glanced at. 

But that also ignores the 29.4 million other people who loved it. Yes, "a lot of fans" think one thing. But a much bigger lot completely disagrees.... Unfortunately, we almost all stop at "well, a lot of people think this!" and forget about perspective.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I think the former of those comments is more important than the latter.

I just think that the four-quadrant credentials of Endgame - and indeed any genre movie - has a limit that, okay, far outweighs the generic average move but that at the largest and most cosmic movie-titan level is considerably below that of a Titanic, a Sound of Music, an ET, or to go back even further a Gone with the Wind or Ten Commandments.

You can put it to a simple grandma test: how many grandmas saw Endgame compared to those 5? I would proffer it isn't in the same stratosphere. 

I really think Endgame was received as well as it was ever possibly going to be received. But it's a genre movie, and comparing it to non-genre behemoths it has so, so much to make up in the youth and genre-orientated markets it is always going to struggle to compare. Only Star Wars and Exorcist ever have and that's by multi-multi-multi repeat viewing over years in times long ago before home video.  

To be honest Endgame did quite well in capturing a gigantic amount of the youth and genre-oriented market. TFA had a bit of an advantage in that the historic nature of SW allows people who aren't that into genre films to be interested in watching it. But yeah, there was definitely a cap on its audience compared to something like Titanic.

8 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Infinity War was rewatchable because everyone knew it was all fake and could be fixed in the 2nd movie. It was considerably faster in pace. I loved EG saw it 3 times but each time the pace is more noticable. It's still my favorite but I understand more and more why people don't like the pace.

The finality of EG without any mention of an AI Arc is rough.

I'd wager a similar or maybe greater number of people thought IW was too fast paced and Endgame was a better pace though. I'm skeptical of the claim that IW got more rewatches than Endgame anyway. A lot of people rewatched Endgame within the first two weeks.

Honestly Endgame dailies being behind Infinity War is more a show of how amazing repeat viewings were for Infinity War than a slight on Endgame's legs. I don't really think they could have done a better job with the ending and is reception is definitely positive with of course some vocal detractors.

But hey at least it ain't a certain tv finale or a movie finale that has come out recently

37 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Primary reason is what stated first. That second reason is very, very much a vocal minority.

The repeat viewings came fast and furious early in the run.

• Like 1