MinaTakla

The Future of Illumination Entertainment: A Discussion

Just now, tawasal said:

@baumer it's been projected or tracking to do 40m-50m everywhere opening weekend.  

And that might happen. 

But tracking is often wrong. I'll wait and see what happens after the weekend is over.

1 minute ago, baumer said:

And that might happen. 

But tracking is often wrong. I'll wait and see what happens after the weekend is over.

Am I sorry if I seem like I am jumping the gun early, but yeah like @DAJK said, it's doing far less overseas on territories the original did well. SLOP1 did 13mn in UK opening weekend and this one did 4mn opening weekend. And in Russia the first did did 16mn opening weekend and this did 4m-7m. It's not really looking good.   

• Like 1

I think Illumination's relative downfall started earlier than we now realize.

Even back in 2016, following SLOP's massive success as an original film, we thought it could be the next Despicable Me. Their Holiday release - Sing, which had a lot of buzz, was predicted to do much better than it eventually did. It also turns out that SLOP might struggle to stay as a franchise.

DM3 did well internationally, but that familiar dreamworks/blue sky trend of relying on overseas markets started to emerge, which would be OK, except that history tells us overseas markets don't sustain a franchise for long without corresponding domestic support. 

Everybody knows that The Grinch was massively over-predicted,  there were people genuinely contemplating it out-grossing Incredibles 2 or even become the highest grosser of the year...

Illumination probably started to lose the domestic market back when Minions (2015) was horribly received, internationally, it was probably just a matter of time. 

Illumination could certainly rebound though, easier than Dreamworks anyway, with their relatively low budget, their natural ability to create buzz, and that they seem to always have a good grasp of popular culture/trends. I'm not a fan, but their rise was one of the bigger stories of the decade, for sure.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, vafrow said:

Illumination will bounce back in 15-20 years with a live action remake of Despicable Me. 

They're never going to do Gru's 14 feet height and godlike speed justice smh

• Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Everybody knows that The Grinch was massively over-predicted,  there were people genuinely contemplating it out-grossing Incredibles 2 or even become the highest grosser of the year...

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, cookie said:

giphy.gif

I know that it seems hard to believe now, but I've seen those predictions... trust me.

I think they meant more domestic though, doubt anyone seriously thought The Grinch would out-gross Infinity War worldwide or anything like that.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

I think Illumination's relative downfall started earlier than we now realize.

Even back in 2016, following SLOP's massive success as an original film, we thought it could be the next Despicable Me. Their Holiday release - Sing, which had a lot of buzz, was predicted to do much better than it eventually did. It also turns out that 

Sing did actually very well. I don't remember 300m predictions for it, it beat Moana domestically with 270m versus 230+ for Moana and Grinch beat Ralph (a movie some predicted will beat Grinch) with also 270m vs 200m for Ralph. In both instances. Illumination had the highest grossing winter animated film. Sing and Grinch made more than Coco, Moana and Ralph domestically - all winter films.

I think SLOP2 is the first true shocker for Illumination.

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, tawasal said:

Am I sorry if I seem like I am jumping the gun early, but yeah like @DAJK said, it's doing far less overseas on territories the original did well. SLOP1 did 13mn in UK opening weekend and this one did 4mn opening weekend. And in Russia the first did did 16mn opening weekend and this did 4m-7m. It's not really looking good.   

SLOP2 opened to 11.6m in Russia vs 16m in Russia for SLOP1 - both with previews

2 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

Sing did actually very well. I don't remember 300m predictions for it, it beat Moana domestically with 270m versus 230+ for Moana and Grinch beat Ralph (a movie some predicted will beat Grinch) with also 270m vs 200m for Ralph. In both instances. Illumination had the highest grossing winter animated film.

I think SLOP2 is the first true shocker for Illumination.

Yeah, that's true, except that I would say DM3's domestic weekend was a bit of a shocker as well, it was widely over-predicted by 30-50M from various people, I remember that weekend thread quite well. It's got good legs though.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

SLOP2 opened to 11.6m in Russia vs 16m in Russia for SLOP1 - both with previews

This is from BOM. 

RUSSIA - CIS
Weekend Box Office

Date
(click to view chart)
Rank Weekend
Gross
 / 
% Change
Screens Change / Avg. Gross-to-Date Week #
May 23–26 2 $2,384,362 - 1,446 - $1,649 $3,474,368 0
May 30–Jun. 2 1 $7,246,100 +203.9% 1,819 +373 $3,984 $12,939,395 1

I have never really cared for Illumination studios;I though most of their product mediocre at best,though I gave them credit for being able to sell really weak movies to the general public.

The Minions were fun, but I think illumination are running them into the ground,and poeple are starting to just plain get tired of them.

As for SLOP, never really liked the first one. As someone said, it basically an animated version of those stupid pet trick videos you see on you tube. it might be good for a chuckle or two at first, but it's pretty much a one shot deal.

• Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, tawasal said:

This is from BOM. 

RUSSIA - CIS
Weekend Box Office

Date
(click to view chart)
Rank Weekend
Gross
 / 
% Change
Screens Change / Avg. Gross-to-Date Week #
May 23–26 2 $2,384,362 - 1,446 - $1,649 $3,474,368 0
May 30–Jun. 2 1 $7,246,100 +203.9% 1,819 +373 $3,984 $12,939,395 1

They're wrong. The first week, marked as zero, was just previews. The total after week 1 with previews is 11.6 as per DHD and Screen

I never liked these Illumination movies. The best part was Vector ''OH YEAH'' from DM1.

vector-despicable-me-gif-8.gif

They try to sell themselves as a brand. They even start to market their trailers with ''From Illumination Studio'' a la Disney. This is just dumb. Well you cant fool people so many times. Besides being funny. There is nothing to talk about these animation movies. I would rather prefer they focus on DWA which is by far a more established brand and has really some of the best animated movies.

If Illumination don't bring something french, they will end up like the Ice Age franchise.

• Knock It Off 1

9 minutes ago, Finnick said:

I never liked these Illumination movies. The best part was Vector ''OH YEAH'' from DM1.

vector-despicable-me-gif-8.gif

If Illumination don't bring something french, they will end up like the Ice Age franchise.

Next Illumination animation better be set in Paris like Ratatouille did!  :lol:

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1

I gvie illumination a lot of credit for being able to sell a lot of mediocre junk to the public, but not much in the way of making good movies.

The Despicible me/Minions franchise is the only one I enjoyed, but think the Minions have been overexoposed, people are getting just plian tired of them.Would not be surprised if the next Minions suffers a drop. yeah, they were a lot of fun once, but the shtick is just plain getting old now.

Sing is the only one of theirs that's above average IMO, in part because it has real charm to it and is refreshingly unapologetic with its talent show storyline.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, cookie said:

Sing is the only one of theirs that's above average IMO, in part because it has real charm to it and is refreshingly unapologetic in its talent show nature.

Sing and Despicable Me 1 are the only ones above average. Besides, Egerton singing makes things better.

• Like 1