MinaTakla

The Future of Illumination Entertainment: A Discussion

Yeah I don't think Illumination is gonna change their ways unless Minions 2 vastly underperforms. But I'd say better for them to invest in quality (yes quality will matter in the long run) original films so you have easy sequels to fall back on as Pixar now has because of the great run they had in the 2000s. 

• Like 4

On 6/7/2019 at 10:51 PM, Minnale101 said:

They are like McDonald’s of movie studios 

loves good taste when you eat it but nothing makes you remember what you ate.

nothing memorable about their movies 

a notch below dream works animations 

just pandering to general audience. Never liked their movies. No where close to Disney or Pixar 

This. Illumination films just feel so generic and average to me. They're fun to watch but they're lacking in quality.

On 6/8/2019 at 10:28 AM, shayhiri said:

...reads thread title...

Really?? I'd be much more worried about Pixar.

Illumination are much better than them, and in much better position than them. Illumination are the perfect tale of animated success. Pixar have been on a downhill for DECADES... They were a thing when there was simply no competition in the 3D field. Now their tired shtick is long obsolete.

Mind you, there are some good Pixar movies - but they are 1 a dozen. And even less so now when they are drowning in the remake cesspool. Not even watching Toy Story 18 and whatever else they may still have.

While Illumination still maintain consistent and close to excellent level of quality and originality. Add to that the beautiful leanness of not only their visuals but also their budgets, and it becomes absurdly clear that they are gonna be the TOP DOG in the field for a very long time.

This take is like from an alternate universe. In terms of quality and originality, reviews and awards say otherwise. And in terms of box office grosses, Pixar's last 2 films grossed $807M (Coco) and $1.24B (I2) worldwide. They will have another upcoming blockbusters in TS4 and Onward. I don't know why we should be worried about Pixar. If you don't like their sequels, then you could be at ease that they declared TS4 as their last sequel. They will focus only in originals beginning next year.

They can probably get away with their business model as it is for another five years or so, but eventually if they can't launch a new franchise that audiences adore, they're going to end up an afterthought in the industry like Dreamworks.

Though honestly, they'd also probably find a lot of success in TV. The Minions and pretty much all their other properties seem like they're much more suited for short-form narratives anyway

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:08 AM, UserHN said:

This take is like from an alternate universe. In terms of quality and originality, reviews and awards say otherwise. And in terms of box office grosses, Pixar's last 2 films grossed $807M (Coco) and $1.24B (I2) worldwide. They will have another upcoming blockbusters in TS4 and Onward. I don't know why we should be worried about Pixar. If you don't like their sequels, then you could be at ease that they declared TS4 as their last sequel. They will focus only in originals beginning next year.

I see you have not encountred Shayari before..........he is always off in his own little universe, which has little to do with reality.

Either that, or he is a Troll...a very likely possibility.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:16 AM, tribefan695 said:

They can probably get away with their business model as it is for another five years or so, but eventually if they can't launch a new franchise that audiences adore, they're going to end up an afterthought in the industry like Dreamworks.

Though honestly, they'd also probably find a lot of success in TV. The Minions and pretty much all their other properties seem like they're much more suited for short-form narratives anyway

I think you nailed it about the Minions. They are fun as supporting charecters as in the Dispicable Me films,and could be funny in short cartoons, but don't know if they are really suited for feature films with them as the leads. Althugh it made a lot of money,to me a lot of the first Minions film felt pretty forced to me.