Purple Minion

SECRET LIFE OF PETS 2 | 273.2M overseas ● 431.5M worldwide

55 minutes ago, Omni said:

The love story between Germany and bad animation never ends. Sometimes they bicker (see 2 weekends ago), but they'll always end up making peace.

True, Germany loves Minions and Pets in animation.

Pets 2 will most likely end above Incredibles 2.

Though at least the most successful animations are TJB, TLK and Finding Nemo or so...

1 hour ago, Omni said:

The love story between Germany and bad animation never ends. Sometimes they bicker (see 2 weekends ago), but they'll always end up making peace.

you can add Russia as well....may be they prefer slapstick comedies which illumination offers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoolK said:

you can add Russia as well....may be they prefer slapstick comedies which illumination offers.

Pretty much that, Ice Age was hugely popular here too (so that had a really famous comedian as the dubber for Sid which probably helped a bit). The most successful this decade are:

Minions  6.95m

Ice age 4: 6.70m

Frozen: 4.77m 

Despicable Me 3: 4.65m

Madagascar 3: 3.97m

Rapunzel: 3.94m

Finding Dory: 3.92m

Pets: 3.85m

Zootopia: 3.85m

Despicable Me 2: 3.67m

Inside Out: 3.5m

Puss in Boots: 3.2m

Of those basically Frozen, Finding Dory, Zootopia and Inside Out aren't in that style (4 out of 12).

Maybe Frozen 2 will be able to get above 3m too, to be honest it should, kinda hoping for a increase over the first and a total above 5m (and maybe above Endgame, I think Germany is one of the few markets where it has a small chance at doing that).

Also I don't know if there are any polls about who watches a movie in Germany, but from what I felt Illumination movies are stronger during the day and have pretty weak evening shows. While Zootopia and Inside Out had pretty strong evening showings (like the 9pm showings were rather strong). Just feels like those Pixar and WDAS are also watched by people that aren't parents or kids, but kids on the other hand tend to watch all Ilumination and not necessarily the others. That's of course just what I see, which probably means nothing.

Edited by Taruseth
  • Like 3

lol

http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2242672#p2242672

(C)2019「天気の子」製作委員会

Weekend Forecast (07/27-28)
01 (01) ¥889,000,000 ($8.2 million), -25%, ¥3,775,000,000 ($34.8 million), Weathering With You (Toho) WK2
02 (02) ¥598,000,000 ($5.5 million), -30%, ¥5,450,000,000 ($50.4 million), Toy Story 4 (Disney) WK3
03 (---) ¥250,000,000 ($2.3 million), 0, ¥325,000,000 ($3.0 million), The Great War of Archimedes (Toho) NEW
04 (---) ¥225,000,000 ($2.1 million), 0, ¥285,000,000 ($2.6 million), The Secret Life of Pets 2 (Toho-Towa) NEW
05 (03) ¥196,000,000 ($1.8 million), -32%, ¥10,925,000,000 ($100.6 million), Aladdin (Disney) WK8
06 (---) ¥180,000,000 ($1.7 million), 0, ¥260,000,000 ($2.4 million), Kamen Rider Zi-O: Over Quartzer! (Toei) NEW
07 (04) ¥156,000,000 ($1.4 million), -38%, ¥1,700,000,000 ($15.6 million), Pokemon: Mewtwo Strikes Back - Evolution (Toho) WK3
08 (05) ¥x54,000,000 ($495,000), -48%, ¥2,840,000,000 ($26.2 million), Spider-Man: Far From Home (Sony) WK5
09 (08) ¥x48,000,000 ($440,000), -40%, ¥1,050,000,000 ($9.7 million), The Diner (Warner Bros.) WK4
10 (10) ¥x39,000,000 ($360,000), -15%, ¥1,150,000,000 ($10.7 million), Uta no Prince-sama The Movie: Maji LOVE Kingdom (Shochiku) WK8

>Weathering With You will repeat atop the box-office over its second weekend. The film had very strong dailies (Mon-Fri. was ~4% higher than its opening weekend), another indicator that it's connecting with audiences. The film's soundtrack is back at #1 as well, overtaking Arashi's (Japan's biggest modern boy band) 20th anniversary album. I know I've mentioned this a lot, but a hit soundtrack often goes a long, long way to benefiting a film's box-office. Director Makoto Shinkai's novel of the film is also #1.

Its pre-sales going into its second weekend are down a good bit versus last weekend, but I'm not really reading too much into them given the hype and anticipation surrounding its debut last week. Overall ticket sales look good (Sunday in particular looks very good), so I'm expecting a good/great hold. 

>Toy Story 4 also enjoyed some strong dailies that matched its second weekend, but I will say that this is actually a slight worry because they should have came in comfortably ahead of its second weekend. Again, I don't want to label the film as "disappointing" (far from it), but following its ridiculous opening weekend, even if it was a holiday weekend, it just hasn't really been putting up the numbers that it should be -- yet. We'll see if it sees the expected big uptick once we get closer to, and of course during, the upcoming Obon Festival (mid-August). If it doesn't change course in two weeks, I think we can conclude the so-so audience reception really harmed this one's potential.

Third place to sixth place is a bit contested this weekend. 

>Kamen Rider Zi-O: Over Quartzer leads the bunch in pre-sales, but not by enough to convince me it'll debut in third place. Quite the opposite in fact. The franchise is very frontloaded, so I'm predicting it actually missed the Top 5. 

>The Great War of Archimedes is my pick to take the third place position, but I'm only slightly confident. It seems to be appealing to a rather older audience (strong morning/afternoon business versus weak evening/night business), so pre-sales can be misleading since older crowds aren't as likely to reserve their seats. 

>The Secret Life of Pets 2 will become a borderline bomb. It's looking at a possible 50%+ decline from its predecessor's opening weekend... If it does disappoint, or bomb, in addition to the poor box-office numbers for The Grinch (granted, it was likely to disappoint in Japan), Illumination's surprising status as an animation powerhouse in the market is in a worrisome state.

1 hour ago, KP1025 said:

Never saw this severe underperformance coming. I actually thought the sequel had room to grow overseas from the first one, especially given the power of Illumination's marketing. 

Reading the previous comments here, this bad performence is putting people in two camps: one that Illumination is basically done and that audiences are done with their films from now on, and camp two is that SLOP's flop is a special case and that Minions will not be effected/will recover from these bad numbers.

If camp 1 is true, why was it so sudden? And if camp 2 is true, was SLOP that much hated compared to Minions or did competition really kill slop

6 minutes ago, WayneBorg said:

Reading the previous comments here, this bad performence is putting people in two camps: one that Illumination is basically done and that audiences are done with their films from now on, and camp two is that SLOP's flop is a special case and that Minions will not be effected/will recover from these bad numbers.

If camp 1 is true, why was it so sudden? And if camp 2 is true, was SLOP that much hated compared to Minions or did competition really kill slop

I don't think Minions 2 will be affected that much, but I would be concerned about Sing 2. The strength of the Despicable Me franchise has been tested multiple times, and I doubt it will suddenly collapse. I think SLOP 2 was a case of the novelty wearing off, and people not caring about the characters enough to return for more of the same. Many other sequels suffered huge drops from their predecessors this year for various reasons (Lego Movie 2, Godzilla 2, Dark Phoenix). 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WayneBorg said:

Answer/1 > one could say that apart from the Minions, Illumination only produced movies that for the audience are somehow attracting and worth a ticket, but also totally forgettable. In that case, their hits are less likely to produce franchises (even though when they do they're massive).

Answer/2 > Slop was NOT hated, but eventually ignored/forgotten, which in the world of box office is not that different in terms of result. Very few people are able to say the name of at least 2/3 slop characters, and I guess something similar could be said about Sing!, but this is certainly not true for Despicable Me. That's the difference. Also, Pets 2 just got a pretty bad release date compared to other Illumination movies: Sing! was released during Christmas and had little competition, Despicable Me 3 was released in the summer and run alone in a wasteland - Pets 2 was sandwiched between two competitors that combine for 2B+ WW (Aladdin and TS4) and the early June release has rarely produced big BO stories. Minions 2 is released in the usual Illumination slot, its characters are still very popular and its only concerns are a Pixar original and the Rock Cruise (which is a big ? right now) - so  it should be just fine.

• Like 1

Deadline

Illumination/Universal’s sequel opened in Korea ($4.2M) and France ($3.7M) this weekend, adding a total $12.9M in 51 overseas markets for an international cume of $198.6M. It will pass $200M this week and has a $354Mglobal gross to date. The final key markets of Spain and Mexico are on deck for the coming frame.

Illumination Entertainment’s The Secret Life Of Pets 2 brought $15.4m from 49 territories and stands at $221.2m from 67. In a pair of respectable number one debuts, the family animation earned $5.1m in Mexico (the 2016 original delivered $7.6m in opening weekend), and $2.5m in Spain (compared to $4.5m for the first film). It opened at number three in Colombia on $668,000. France was the top holdover on $2.4m for $7.3m after two weekends, while Japan produced $1.1m for $10.8m after three, and South Korea $1m for $5.9m after two.

Source: Screen Daily 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 12:05 AM, Omni said:

Target is still Pikachu

If you told someone this would be the case for SLOP2 at the beginning of the year, they would have found it.... extremely believable! But perhaps for the wrong reasons :ph34r:

• Haha 3

Deadline

Another $9.7M to the dogs this session lifts Illumination/Universal’s sequel to $243.6M overseas and $400.7M globally. There were no new hubs in the frame which was led by Mexico; the market jumped 48% to cume $10.3M so far. France had a 36% drop and has grossed $10.6M to date. Japan saw just a 4% drop and has $15.6M in the food bowl. Germany is the top market in this week’s reporting at $19M.

• Like 1