sfran43

Monday Numbers: TSLOP2 $4.60M | Aladdin $3.19M | Dark Phoenix $2.48M | Godzilla KOTM $1.67M

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Rocketman is gonna overtake Godzilla soon.:)

I have to confess. I really didn't like Rocketman. I don't see it. I wasn't expecting a pseudo-fantasy musical. I assumed it would be a biographical movie in the vein of Bohemian Rhapsody. Don't understand the hype.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WP Kelley said:

I have to confess. I really didn't like Rocketman. I don't see it. I wasn't expecting a pseudo-fantasy musical. I assumed it would be a biographical movie in the vein of Bohemian Rhapsody. Don't understand the hype.

The reason Rocketman's reviews are so good is because it's not the standard music biopic, which critics were already bored by. Then Bohemian Rhapsody made all the money and won a bunch of Oscars, so now they are even more resentful of that formula. Given the subject matter and that Rocketman's director is the guy who jumped on board BoRhap after they fired Bryan Singer, heavy comparisons between the two were inevitable. 

To be fair, Rocketman's teaser shows people floating and dubs it "based on a true fantasy":

I don't know if every single TV spot could convey that it was a true musical with fantasy elements, though. Rocketman is more like a Broadway show on film while Bohemian Rhapsody was more a concert movie with off-stage dramatizations in between (not a slight on either's quality, simply a difference in style).

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Detective Pikachu had a nice 55% drop but the Sunday number was meh. Curious to see how much higher end game is. Betting not much and Tuesday might be better again for it.

Maybe 600-625k for EG?

Edited by cdsacken

Rocketman is the only non-Marvel movie I have seen twice this year. It’s so damn rewatchable.  Eagerton is really remarkable. That scene in the toilet. It might be my favorite in the movie. Just give him all the awards. 

I went to see it again with my Mom and her friends.  It was two other couples in their sixties.  One liked it, and the didn't.  One of them was VERY upset that it didn't "end on a more uplifting note" or "not include some of his later music."  I was so good not to fling myself across the table and shake her saying, "Honky Cat was Gay Poetic Cinema And Will Have No Talk Otherwise.  The only reason this wasn’t a straight up adaption of Captain Fantastic and Brown Dirt Cowboy is the songs aren’t all hits.”

• Like 6

1 hour ago, a2k said:

KOTM

-65.6% from Sunday

-55.8% from last Monday

I think it’ll stabilize more once we compare non imax days to non imax days.. so really not till maybe Thursday but hopefully for sure Friday.

That's not a good hold for Zilla. Worse than the drop of any movie last year on the same day (Solo at 64.9%). Most movies last year dropped in the upper 50's to about 61% and so far all the other reported for today are under 60% except RM.

Since Zilla has the 2nd highest theater count after SLOP2 and this is the first weekend theaters can drop it I expect it to take a significant theater count hit this week with 4 new releases totaling over 7,700 theaters. 

Rocketman drop is ok, not great. I think RM is also likely to take a theater count hit this week. Week over week drop is good though.

Will Aladdin have a sub 60% drop? That is what i'm interested to see.

I expect XDP is likely to have a pretty ugly drop.

2 hours ago, WP Kelley said:

The use of musical numbers to shape Elton John's personal fantasy was inventive and enjoyable in every way possible.

Edited by The GOAT
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RamblinRed said:

That's not a good hold for Zilla. Worse than the drop of any movie last year on the same day (Solo at 64.9%). Most movies last year dropped in the upper 50's to about 61% and so far all the other reported for today are under 60% except RM.

Since Zilla has the 2nd highest theater count after SLOP2 and this is the first weekend theaters can drop it I expect it to take a significant theater count hit this week with 4 new releases totaling over 7,700 theaters. 

Rocketman drop is ok, not great. I think RM is also likely to take a theater count hit this week. Week over week drop is good though.

Will Aladdin have a sub 60% drop? That is what i'm interested to see.

I expect XDP is likely to have a pretty ugly drop.

Solo increased 25% on Tuesday. 

Godzilla will increase 45-%50%.