sfran43

Tuesday Numbers: TSLOP2 $7.15M | Aladdin $4.70M | Dark Phoenix $3.88M | Godzilla KOTM $2.47M

2 minutes ago, stripe said:

It's incredible how strong Tuesdays have become

From an old follower though, the balance between Tuesday / Wednesday is still the same. Makes one look great and one look bad but it evens out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

From an old follower though, the balance between Tuesday / Wednesday is still the same. Makes one look great and one look bad but it evens out. 

Yep, but I prefer today's roller coaster. Daily threads are full of funny meltdowns

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

This film deserves better than it is getting.

I absolutely agree. This is a great summer movie! Just go, relax and have fun. Definitely deserves a better fate. I'm sure I just invited a whole new slew of arguments, but...oh well! Please note: I said "a great summer movie." I didn't say a great film! This is Godzilla, this ain't The Godfather, lol.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tuesdays are definitely bigger today. Look at movies 10 years ago and compare the Tuesday gross with the following Friday, in most every case Friday is bigger.  Look at summer movies last year and this year, Tuesday is at and sometimes above the level of the following Friday.

Antman and the wasp you have to go to week #7 at the end of August to get a Friday that's higher than the previous Tuesday.

Transformers 2007 every Friday is higher than the prev Tuesday (setting aside the opening Tuesday).

Incredibles 2 same as AM&TW, Fri higher than Tue only at the end of August (and even then it was bc of an expansion).

Toy Story 3 the first and third weeks of August have higher Tuesdays than Fridays (partly bc of theater drops), but every other week has a higher Friday.

Solo last year had some higher Fridays by just a smidge.

Pirates 4 had significantly higher fridays through June (then july had theater drops which led to lower fridays).

Seems like a clear pattern to me.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MattW said:

Tuesdays are definitely bigger today. Look at movies 10 years ago and compare the Tuesday gross with the following Friday, in most every case Friday is bigger.  Look at summer movies last year and this year, Tuesday is at and sometimes above the level of the following Friday.

Antman and the wasp you have to go to week #7 at the end of August to get a Friday that's higher than the previous Tuesday.

Transformers 2007 every Friday is higher than the prev Tuesday (setting aside the opening Tuesday).

Incredibles 2 same as AM&TW, Fri higher than Tue only at the end of August (and even then it was bc of an expansion).

Toy Story 3 the first and third weeks of August have higher Tuesdays than Fridays (partly bc of theater drops), but every other week has a higher Friday.

Solo last year had some higher Fridays by just a smidge.

Pirates 4 had significantly higher fridays through June (then july had theater drops which led to lower fridays).

Seems like a clear pattern to me.

Its a very clear pattern that can be traced to the increase in cheaper tickets on Tuesdays going back to 2009ish. But overall the other changes have more to do with changes elsewhere due to 2012s theater shooting. Previews have changed how Thursdays behave which has also changed some of Friday. 

Summer box office as you well know makes Fridays much harder to increase as well over the weekdays.