Boxofficerules

Black Christmas - cut down from an R rating to a PG-13.

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

I suppose these Blumhouse horrors are generally so cheap that it doesn't matter if this dies after Christmas. It will probably make most of its domestic budget back on opening weekend, even if the opening weekend is nothing special. That's all they need. Just a little Christmas themed horror movie for audiences to enjoy during a very small window. Guess there's nothing wrong with it.

The BLumhouse has the classic Hollywood B movie method....make it cheap,market it at specific audeinces in the most blatently explotative way possible, , and hope to make a killing quickly with little expectation of shelf life.

Sort of an American International Pictures for the new century.

Very much the Roger Corman method.

One problem the film might have is the original gets shown an awful lot this time of the year.

Edited by dudalb

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

The BLumhouse has the classic Hollywood B movie method....make it cheap,market it at specific audeinces, and hope to make a killing quickly with little expectation of shelf life.

One problem the film might have is the original gets shown an awful lot this time of the year.

Bingo.

That's probably why they really changed this one up so it doesn't seem unnecessary or more of the same. A lot will depend on marketing over the next couple weeks. I have a feel they'll really play up the "horror monsters shouldn't mess with us girls!" angle.

6 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

I don't even remember the last Horror movie that got some traction, IT2 back in September? 2019 has been such a letdown for the genre after the comeback back in 2016.

Well we’ve only had Doctor Sleep, Countdown and Zombieland (if it counts). 

Countdown actually did ok for its release, 2.9x multi. $35m on a $6.5m budget. 

The genre just had so many films this summer all crammed together so they ate into each other. Crawl and Ready or Not are still my favourites of the year. 

2 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

Any screenings for this one over the weekend? I remember both Happy Death Day and Truth Or Dare has some public screenings the weekend before they opened but can’t find anything for this.

There probably just is not enough traction for this to justify it. Universal and Blumhouse will get whatever they can from it on opening weekend and the following days until Christmas and walk away content, given they'll probably still make a profit.

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Director changed her mind on the R/ PG 13 story. 

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/315127/black-christmas-writer-reveals-how-remake-snagged-pg-13/

apparently it was more to do with the use of the word “rape”. Interesting article. 

I don't want to burst their bubble, but I'm preeeetty sure most people won't be having complex discussions about "date rape" after seeing this movie. They're seeing this movie because it's a horror movie and those are fun to see with your friends.

5 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

22% audience score,  can we get a F Cinemascore? 

BRUTAL! Not surprised though. Not only was this yet another remake we didn't need, but it's supposedly a remake with an agenda. Couple that with the horrid 230K previews, and it appears not a lot of people had time for this.

Based on what I've heard about this movie, it seems to be exploiting hot topics like feminism and toxic masculinity for brownie points and explores those topics ineptly. The actual horror aspect also seems pretty generic which is a shame. People should watch 2006 remake. Its really creative at times and probably one of the better horror remakes out there.

• Like 1