sfran43

Dead Weekend Walking Thread: Actuals - MIB International $30.03M | TSLOP2 $24.41M | Aladdin $17.31M | Rocketman $9.42M | Dark Phoenix $9.35M | SHAFT $8.90M

1 hour ago, XO21 said:

Jeez Pets 2, the first one made $368m DOM. Crazy drop.

I don't even understand how the first one made that much. It's just an okay movie, and kind of forgettable, even for kids.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Man, I love MiB 3. Didn't realize so many weren't fans. Looking forward to the latest installment too.

I also quite like MIB3, I just like MIBI better.

MIB2 sucks though.

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Rocketman will be the only film in the top 7 this weekend with fresh reviews. 

Everything else is rotten and people need to go and see it. 

Toy Story, Spidey and Simba are coming. I'd add Midsommar but not feeling a fresh RT score for that one. Obviously, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and Hobbs will be fresh too. Potentially S sry Stories as well.

I guess I'm not too surprised that MIB International isn't putting up good numbers. I'm still plenty willing to give it a chance because of Thompson and Hemsworth, but it didn't feel like it ever really got much buzz going. In re-watching the earlier films this week, I can't help but feel like one of the earlier sequels should have been a passing-of-the-torch movie in which Will Smith's character shows someone else the ropes rather than the role swap in the second one or the time travel shenanigans in the third one - or even in this new one (though I haven't seen it yet). At least the studio could play off of nostalgia more directly with Smith's involvement.

As expected as it is, I'm bummed that Late Night didn't find much of an audience. It's a pretty funny movie.

1 hour ago, XO21 said:

Jeez Pets 2, the first one made $368m DOM. Crazy drop.

"Big" 3 animations so far this year : LEGO2, HTTYD3, SLOP2

105.8 + 160.8 + 130 (dom guess) = ~397

Just 30 odd more than SLOP1. 

TS4 will outgross those 3 combined.

• Like 2

I feel like if TS4 really opens to $200m, it has a strong chance of ending up No. 2 for the year domestically because that would lock 600m and make 650m+ very likely. And I'm still not convinced that Lion King, Frozen 2 or Star Wars will be able to get to that mark (Lion King probably will).

With that horrible start last weekend I thought $70 million would be hard for Dark Phoenix, now it looks like I was way overestimating this train wreck, which won't even hit $60 million, let alone come anywhere close to $70 million. And this weekend, this is legendarily bad, I mean with a bit of "luck" it might even finish under Fant4stic, and that thing opened quite a bit lower, at $25.7 million. With this film it feels like they made one bad choice and then another and they just kept going and no one told them to stop because no one cared enough. What a sorry way to end one of the premier franchises of the last two decades.

And the bombs keep on coming, good thing we have the toys returning next week to save the summer from its current slump.

Edited by AlexMA
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, a2k said:

"Big" 3 animations so far this year : LEGO2, HTTYD3, SLOP2

105.8 + 160.8 + 130 (dom guess) = ~397

Just 30 odd more than SLOP1. 

TS4 will outgross those 3 combined.

With the $200m opening weekend, very quickly too 

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

With the $200m opening weekend, very quickly too 

I'm still not sold on that $200M OW. I've been visiting the presales thread often and no one there is predicting $200M based on presales. More like Dory numbers.

We’re only 5 days away from TS4 open now. Nobody would say 200 is quite impossible, but it would be a big (huge) surprise based on current data.

Edited by Thanos Legion

3 hours ago, a2k said:

the prod budget is 160-200 according to schwarzenegger. will be interesting to see if they go ahead with the r-rating. miller delivered a great r-rated debut film.

DARK FATE is a guaranteed R.

• Like 3