sfran43

Dead Weekend Walking Thread: Actuals - MIB International $30.03M | TSLOP2 $24.41M | Aladdin $17.31M | Rocketman $9.42M | Dark Phoenix $9.35M | SHAFT $8.90M

27 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I don't get being a fan of Disney. It like being fan of CHase Manhatten Bank,Microsoft, or any other huge corporation.

I mean, no its absolutely not. Does Chase Manhattan Bank do something creative that people enjoy? I guess you can argue there is some creativity in structured products and other financial derivative instruments (barrier options are really a brilliant way to trick people who want some alternative investments in their portfolio out of their pensions), but as far as I know, they are not creating films or telling interesting stories that are touching lives in one way or another.

I very idealistically still believe in the power of a great story and relatable characters, and Disney the corporation thankfully does not pollute each and every one of the directors, actors, storytellers and artists who at one time or another have worked under its roof. Who are you to belittle some content that someone else enjoys? This whole corporate shaming bullshit needs to stop, you're on a box office theory for heaven's sake, whatever film you are rooting for was financed by someone and by extension falls under the same damn capitalist incentive structure one way or another. This forum has become overrun by people feeling the need to label others as studio stans or in some other way use this logically flimsy justification to demean/insult and make hypocritical distinctions between the films they enjoy and those enjoyed by others. I say again, this is not a forum of people tracking limited releases and championing PTA, this is a box office forum and judging by your very high number of posts, I would say that you too fall prey to enjoying a solid box office run. I'm sorry to say that your favorite films and/or studios are no less bound by financial motivations than any other, so get off your damn high horse.

In any case, studios under the corporation that is Disney hire great people who tell great stories, many of which inspire love and adoration. Some of us process that admiration in different ways. Some of us become interested in box office results, seeking some form of validation in seeing the stories and storytellers that we connect to succeed. It is, very decisively, not the same thing as rooting for JP Morgan.

Edited by Justin4125
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Knock It Off 1

11 minutes ago, Justin4125 said:

I mean, no its absolutely not. Does Chase Manhattan Bank do something creative that people enjoy? I guess you can argue there is some creativity in structured products and other financial derivative instruments (barrier options are really a brilliant way to trick people who want some alternative investments in their portfolio out of their pensions), but as far as I know, they are not creating films or telling interesting stories that are touching lives in one way or another.

I very idealistically still believe in the power of a great story and relatable characters, and Disney the corporation thankfully does not pollute each and every one of the directors, actors, storytellers and artists who at one time or another have worked under its roof. Who are you to belittle some content that someone else enjoys? This whole corporate shaming bullshit needs to stop, you're on a box office theory for heaven's sake, whatever film you are rooting for was financed by someone and by extension falls under the same damn capitalist incentive structure one way or another. This forum has become overrun by people feeling the need to label others as studio stans or in some other way use this logically flimsy justification to demean/insult and make hypocritical distinctions between the films they enjoy and those enjoyed by others. I say again, this is not a forum of people tracking limited releases and championing PTA, this is a box office forum and judging by your very high number of posts, I would say that you too fall prey to enjoying a solid box office run. I'm sorry to say that your favorite films and/or studios are no less bound by financial motivations than any other, so get off your damn high horse.

In any case, studios under the corporation that is Disney hire great people who tell great stories, many of which inspire love and adoration. Some of us process that admiration in different ways. Some of us become interested in box office results, seeking some form of validation in seeing the stories and storytellers that we connect to succeed. It is, very decisively, not the same thing as rooting for JP Morgan.

I just think Disney has too much damn power in the entertainment industy then I like to see one company have.

And I also find a lot of the Disney product to be pretty boring, frankly. Thet seldom really take a chance.They play it safe all the time. (Of couse they have their flops;they make mistakes) But I can't remember when The Mouse really took a chance on risky material.

But nice demonstration of the typical Disney fanboy mentality. Disney is a holy thing and can do wrong. GOt it.

Edited by dudalb
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 2

38 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I don't get being a fan of Disney. It like being fan of CHase Manhatten Bank,Microsoft, or any other huge corporation.

Those corporations don't make movies, tv shows, and amusement parks.... I'm sure if this were a forum about checking accounts Chase would have some "stans" and people would be always fighting with Wells Fargo-ites or whatever. 

But it's a forum about box-office which means people are going to notice which film studio puts out movies they like to watch.... I dont think its that weird.

editing to add I dont think they play it safe all the time, and even if they did... if playing it safe leads to these sorts of results, why would you stop? It's funny how the biggest risk in the last 15-20 years has led to a total reformatting of the studio landscape, and Disney paid for that risk to be taken (Marvel) 

I don't think its that they don't take risks, its more that they dont lose on them enough for some people

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, Hokkaido MUTO said:

DP will probably gross just 50 million more than its production budget. Now that’s something MIB can certainly laugh at

And will still lose a ton of money. You do know that a film has to take it twice it'sproduction budget to just break even?

I don't get why people get so confused and angry over people liking or being fans movie studios or distributors, because there are decent reasons to do so. If they have franchises you like, frequently employ certain actors or directors, or just have a certain aesthetic, vibe or style that makes them stick out. Sure, I'd rather people be more supportive over studios like A24 or Blumhouse over Disney or Universal, and studio stans are arguably more annoying than most fandoms here, but I don't really see what's the big deal with people saying "Go Universal!"

Using WB as an example, if someone really enjoys DC/Potter/Lego, enjoys directors like Eastwood and Nolan and Affleck, likes quality, big-budget horror (well, big-budget compared to stuff like Plat Dunes and Blumhouse), or just likes the grit some of WB's recent blockbusters possess...why wouldn't they be supportive, or consider themselves "fans" of a studio that gives them stuff they like?

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, Warmaster506 said:

Disney's dominance just goes to show you how much the other studios have been out outmaneuvered by Disney. With WB being the ones hurting the most  because of it.  

WB needs better management. Disney has nothing to do with that

11 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

I don't get why people get so confused and angry over people liking or being fans movie studios or distributors, because there are decent reasons to do so. If they have franchises you like, frequently employ certain actors or directors, or just have a certain aesthetic, vibe or style that makes them stick out. Sure, I'd rather people be more supportive over studios like A24 or Blumhouse over Disney or Universal, and studio stans are arguably more annoying than most fandoms here, but I don't really see what's the big deal with people saying "Go Universal!"

Using WB as an example, if someone really enjoys DC/Potter/Lego, enjoys directors like Eastwood and Nolan and Affleck, likes quality, big-budget horror (well, big-budget compared to stuff like Plat Dunes and Blumhouse), or just likes the grit some of WB's recent blockbusters possess...why wouldn't they be supportive, or consider themselves "fans" of a studio that gives them stuff they like?

Disney bad. That's what the internet has shouted at me.

12 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

This is basically me. I don't really care about WB as a company and hate their owners but I mostly end up supporting their movies because I usually like them or am hyped for them. I mean I have liked The Lego Movie 2, Shazam, and Detective Pikachu than every other big studio film released yet except for John Wick 3 and Endgame (only liked this more than Shazam and Pikachu). I'm also guessing I will like It 2, The Kitchen, and Dr Sleep quite a lot too. I'll end even up supporting Joker because I want more mid budget superhero films. WB has been giving the kind of films I want so I end up supporting their films. It's not even something that started as an adult. Even as a kid, Cartoon Network and the old WB cartoons (Looney Tunes and the Hanna Barbera stuff) was all I watched.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

Much will be made by the media about these latest movies tanking. 

Yet the facts remain...

Nobody wanted a reboot of Men In Black without its stars

Nobody wanted ANOTHER Shaft 

Nobody really wanted a follow-up to Apocalypse, especially knowing the series will get rebooted in the MCU

Nobody asked for another Pets movie sold as the same film as the last one. 

Nobody wanted to take their kids to see the dark as hell looking KOTM, especially after they were lukewarm on the last movie. 

So none of this is a surprise. 

It isn’t the end of moviegoing as we know it whatsoever. Too many big budget movies nobody asked for, and audiences prioritising the Disney fare as they really want to see those films. 

If the other studios’ franchises are on life support, then come up with some new ones!! Or....spend less on a bunch of movies that differ from what’s out there in the summer season. Take a risk artistically, instead of gambling the house on a sequel to a has-been. 

Lots of lessons to be learnt here. Yet the headlines will blame the audiences not coming out. 

• Like 6

The real question is when will the 2nd studio of the year pass 1 bill domestic? I'm guessing WB (200mil away after this weekend) won't hit that till September with It 2, they've got 4 movies till then but only Annabelle seems like it has any chance to do well and that's based off brand power. Universal (310mil away after this weekend) I'm not sure but it'll be late in the year, SLOP2 isn't doing that well and Hobbs and Shaw is more for International audiences I don't see it doing gangbusters domestic, Lionsgate (650mil away) just won't get there. Paramount 740mil away won't get there. Sony 740mil away should get there thanks to Spiderman and Jumanji 2, and then Fox (800mil away) just won't get there. So optimistically only 4 studios hit 1 billion this year, 

Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones ARE the Men in Black franchise. MiB International was always going to have a tough time bringing people in. It had to be good to garner any buzz and apparently it wasn't good. 

Anyway, I agree that flops have had perfectly good reasons to flop. We all just ignored those issues for whatever reason. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

18 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

I don't get why people get so confused and angry over people liking or being fans movie studios or distributors

Excellent Post.

And it's not like this is a new thing.  There's a reason we use terms like "WB Gangster / Noir Film" or "MGM Musical".  Think the Studio System is NOW a "Corporate Assembly Line of Mass Produced Entertainment to Solely Make Profits"?  Jack Warner says Hello. (Well, once he stops rolling over in his grave after what's gone down with the WB in the past couple years.) The 1970s and 1990s were like the ONLY times we really saw "independent" filmmakers and studios thrive in Hollywood.

Edited by captainwondyful
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And will still lose a ton of money. You do know that a film has to take it twice it'sproduction budget to just break even?

Are you referring to DP? If so, I clearly insinuated that the fact it’ll do just 50 million more than it’s production budget is catastrophic

8 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Well, once he stops rolling over in his grave after what's gone down with the WB in the past couple years

Weren't they the only studio of the big 6 to not have any flops in 2018?

the odd couple dynamic is one of the best parts of the original men in black. so this time it's... two attractive young stars. and the odd couple element is that she's american and he's british i guess. ha she thinks the steering wheel is on the other side, that's fun. will smith and tommy lee jones already had established personalities which made it an easier sell as a buddy movie and tessa thompson and chris hemsworth don't really have that beyond that they were in a thor movie together.

just one of the elements that made the movie look like it has totally no personality from the trailers.

• Like 1