sfran43

Dead Weekend Walking Thread: Actuals - MIB International $30.03M | TSLOP2 $24.41M | Aladdin $17.31M | Rocketman $9.42M | Dark Phoenix $9.35M | SHAFT $8.90M

43 minutes ago, TMP said:

Beasts 3 will probably go the way of Dark Phoenix if they don't cancel it/do a massive overhaul

IMO, Beasts problem are characters and that's hard to fix. The cast skews too old to be interesting to anyone who grew with HP movies, let alone potential new generation of fans. Actors just aren't appealing either. To me, they are like Narnia. That one had the problem with blah cast that never took off like HP kids. Marvel is a prime example that you can repeat the same unimaginative formula 100 time and it;s gonna work and feel fresh as long as it's carried by winning characters who differ from each other (and therefore make the same old feel new). FB doesn't have that advantage and it;s already saddled with too many characters to try to add potentially appealing newbies. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 2

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

just wondering. Is this the only Will Smith song for a movie that's original? Or does it sample another song like Men in Black and Wild Wild West did?

Lol it most certainly does

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

IMO, Beasts problem are characters and that's hard to fix. The cast skews too old to be interesting to anyone who grew with HP movies, let alone potential new generation of fans. Actors just aren't appealing either. To me, they are like Narnia. That one had the problem with blah cast that never took off like HP kids. Marvel is a prime example that you can repeat the same unimaginative formula 100 time and it;s gonna work and feel fresh as long as it's carried by winning characters who differ from each other (and therefore make the same old feel new). FB doesn't have that advantage and it;s already saddled with too many characters to try to add potentially appealing newbies. 

FB1 was good. It's the new characters who suck in FB2

With MIB being the latest franchise to fail, I'm hoping that something original breaks out unexpectedly this summer. It's not enough for these franchises to fail for studios to abandon the IP approach, but they need a template for what to chase next. 

The best bet I can see is something like Stuber. That film getting past the likes of MIB, DPX or even KOTM based on two smaller, but rising stars, and a simple but unique concept may change some bad habits. I'm skeptical, but hope something happens. 

SLOP1's 5-day was 131, something SLOP2 could struggle to reach depending on how it behaves post TS4's release and if it shows any recovery. Will still handily beat it's 80 prod budget dom which is something.

Better than DARKP dom falling below APOC's 3-day and laden with a 200 prod budget.

KOTM will also do only about GZ14's 4-day or 5-day.

MIBI may also fail to get MIB3's 54.5 3-day.

Of course, HELLBOY reboot takes the cake in this regard.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

That’s embarrassing for these two new releases. I have a feeling there won’t won’t be a big non-Disney film or films in a while. 

I think most people have forgotten that Annabelle Comes home releases the week after TS4, for some reason it's opening on a Wednesday too.....

15 minutes ago, vafrow said:

With MIB being the latest franchise to fail, I'm hoping that something original breaks out unexpectedly this summer. It's not enough for these franchises to fail for studios to abandon the IP approach, but they need a template for what to chase next. 

The best bet I can see is something like Stuber. That film getting past the likes of MIB, DPX or even KOTM based on two smaller, but rising stars, and a simple but unique concept may change some bad habits. I'm skeptical, but hope something happens. 

Given how comedies (even well-reviewed ones) have been performing recently, I highly doubt it.

Tessa Thompson has been having a good run critically and commercially and I'm happy about that but MiB won't be one of those successes. I get why she signed on but unfortunately it will do nothing for her. I think more people will pay attention to it being yet another Hemsworth fronted huge bomb outside of Marvel. His one true hit as a lead was because of Kristen Stewart Twilight hype. Of course movie stardom has changed so it is what it is.

Would have loved a meta action-comedy on how there's a secret parallel organisation called Women in White, that now reveals itself and goes head to head with Men In Black. That self-aware humour reminds me of Sony's own 22 JS, which interestingly was supposed to be be followed with an MIB cross-over.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DAR said:

As @ddddeeee said the other day the original MIB is a perfect blockbuster.  But after that it’s been very diminishing returns 

I rewatched MIB this week and it's surprising how small scale the entire thing is. It feels huge but there's not a single huge action setpiece in it. The final action sequence is Will Smith screaming at a cockroach while stepping on other cockroaches. It ends with the iconic saucer crash but the actual action is very limited in scope in the movie.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I rewatched MIB this week and it's surprising how small scale the entire thing is. It feels huge but there's not a single huge action setpiece in it. The final action sequence is Will Smith screaming at a cockroach while stepping on other cockroaches. It ends with the iconic saucer crash but the actual action is very limited in scope in the movie.

It’s kind of a buddy cop movie but with aliens, though does also have the sense of wonder and discovery kind of missing from the sequels