sfran43

Dead Weekend Walking Thread: Actuals - MIB International $30.03M | TSLOP2 $24.41M | Aladdin $17.31M | Rocketman $9.42M | Dark Phoenix $9.35M | SHAFT $8.90M

Summer RT Update: Summer is off to a poor start, in terms of the ratio of Fresh versus Rotten films - only 7 Fresh films compared with 15 Rotten. However, 6 of the 7 Fresh films have 80% or more on the Tomatometer, and we have two films already with 8+ average ratings. Since 2016 (when I began tracking), the most films with 8+ average ratings occurred in the summer of 2017 (with 4 films achieving this feat). Can this summer tie or surpass this number?

Toy Story 4 doesn’t open until next weekend, but it has solidified itself as the most critically acclaimed film of the summer so far, making for another critically acclaimed instalment in an incredibly well received franchise overall. 

Late Night expands wide this weekend, and is one of the few Fresh films so far this summer. Men in Black International and Shaft also open, and sit squarely in the Rotten column. Pets 2 and Dark Phoenix from last weekend are also Rotten.

2019 Summer Films RT Watch (Wide-Release — May/June/July/August)

1. Toy Story 4 — 100% — 8.6 rating
  2. Booksmart — 97% — 8.3 rating
  3. Rocketman — 90% — 7.6 rating
  4. John Wick: Chapter 3 — 90% — 7.5 rating
  5. Long Shot — 81% — 7.1 rating
  6. Late Night — 80% — 6.9 rating
  7. Pokémon Detective Pikachu — 66% — 6.0 rating
  8. Aladdin — 57% — 5.9 rating
  9. Ma — 57% — 5.6 rating
  10. Secret Life of Pets 2 — 56% — 5.7 rating
  11. Brightburn — 56% — 5.7 rating
  12. Tolkien — 51% — 5.8 rating
  13. A Dog’s Journey — 49% — 5.1 rating
  14. The Sun Is Also a Star — 47% — 5.6 rating
  15. Godzilla: King of the Monsters — 40% — 5.1 rating
  16. Poms — 34% — 4.9 rating
  17. Shaft — 34% — 4.8 rating
  18. The Intruder — 31% — 4.2 rating
  19. UglyDolls — 29% — 4.4 rating
  20. Men in Black International — 24% — 4.6 rating
  21. Dark Phoenix — 23% — 4.6 rating
  22. The Hustle — 15% — 3.9 rating

2019 — 22 wide-release films (*SO FAR*)

• 7 fresh, 15 rotten
  • 80% or higher: 6 films
  • 8.0+ rating: 2 films (Toy Story 4, Booksmart)

2018 — 45 wide-release films

• 22 fresh, 23 rotten
  • 80% or higher: 13 films
  • 8.0+ rating: 3 films (BlacKkKlansman, Mission: Impossible - Fallout, and Hereditary)

2017 — 42 wide-release films

• 18 fresh, 24 rotten
  • 80% or higher: 14 films
  • 8.0+ rating: 4 films (Dunkirk, The Big Sick, War for the Planet of the Apes, Baby Driver)

2016 — 42 wide-release films

• 20 fresh, 22 rotten
  • 80% or higher: 9 films
  • 8.0+ rating: 1 film (Kubo and the Two Strings)

Peace,

Mike

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, UserHN said:

I'm still not sold on that $200M OW. I've been visiting the presales thread often and no one there is predicting $200M based on presales. More like Dory numbers.

I'm 100% getting Dory number vibes. Great reviews doesn't make this the next Incredibles 2. 

17 minutes ago, RtheEnd said:

Yawn

Bye

Well folks, that’s the thread for ya. Turn up tomorrow to find out exactly how yawn, if you’ve got nothing better to do.   

Spoiler alert: I don’t.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, UserHN said:

I'm still not sold on that $200M OW. I've been visiting the presales thread often and no one there is predicting $200M based on presales. More like Dory numbers.

numbers in between I2 & Dory ...  $150 M ...

3 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Well folks, that’s the thread for ya. Turn up tomorrow to find out exactly how yawn, if you’ve got nothing better to do.   

Spoiler alert: I don’t.

I suddenly became more curious. Lol. I wonder if MIBI will now open to sub-$20M.

7 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

I'm 100% getting Dory number vibes. Great reviews doesn't make this the next Incredibles 2. 

Exactly. But Dory numbers is not really a bad or disappointing thing. It's also really good. Dory made $486M Dom. I feel like TS4 can cross $500M Dom.

1 hour ago, catlover said:

I don't even understand how the first one made that much. It's just an okay movie, and kind of forgettable, even for kids.

Yeah the kids forgot it about too lol. I tried to watch it years ago but I turned it off after like half an hour.

9 hours ago, fastclock said:

Why do people think SLOP2 is a flop?

Yeah, it lost more than half of the OW of SLOP1, but it will still likely make $100M+ profit.

So, maybe not 500m profit, but decemt enough.

Sure. But having the second widest launch in domestic history and making $47 million is pretty pathetic - whatever way you look at it. 

5 hours ago, Curtis1986 said:

What is going on with shaft. There seems to be a huge disconnect between critics and audiences. Really shocked to see that it has a 94% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes and an A cinemascore

From 300 people. The few who saw it are probably fans of someone in the film.