sfran43

Dead Weekend Walking Thread: Actuals - MIB International $30.03M | TSLOP2 $24.41M | Aladdin $17.31M | Rocketman $9.42M | Dark Phoenix $9.35M | SHAFT $8.90M

A week an a half ago, the execs for G:KOTM were probably telling each other "well, it could have been worse" while secretly not really believing it.

Now they can look at these last two weekends and be happy in the knowledge that yes, it definitely COULD have been worse.

Seriously, imagine having the kind of runs that Dumbo and KOTM had/are having and not even being close to the two biggest financial disappointments of the year.

Also: I continue to get low-key Jumanji 2 vibes from Dora. Looks adorable and just a cute as a button family adventure.

If you look at last year's Father's Day weekend the Friday increases were higher than normal for the summer.

Solo, DP2 and most of the returnees all had increases that were higher than the previous Friday's % increase. 

Hope the 5M is true, but we'll know within a few hours.

13 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

If you look at last year's Father's Day weekend the Friday increases were higher than normal for the summer.

Solo, DP2 and most of the returnees all had increases that were higher than the previous Friday's % increase. 

Hope the 5M is true, but we'll know within a few hours.

Why the friday was higher than normal last year?

Since this weekend is dead, let us celebrate the one year anniversary of the best movie of 2018 

MV5BMjAyODI1NDMxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDg0

Sadly critics put the hit on it no doubt ordered by Disney since this was ready to show Incredibles 2 whose boss.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

Since this weekend is dead, let us celebrate the one year anniversary of the best movie of 2018 

Sadly critics put the hit on it no doubt ordered by Disney since this was ready to show Incredibles 2 whose boss.

That movie is abysmal.

• Knock It Off 1

22 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

It still features one of my favorite  errors in recent memory.  Pitbull’s Don’t Stop the Party playing in a scene that takes place in the 80s

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

I've never seen a worse summer than this one, take off these Disney movies and everything is DOA. Even quality products like Booksmart are struggling, wtf is happening? And it's being a tendency since the beggining of the year.

But take off these Disney movies and everything else would improve? Perhaps?

4 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Would it? People have shown time and time again that if the offerings are shit they can stay at home, watch something on Netflix or whatever. We've had much worse weekends before in the summer, I don't think much would change. Maybe $1-2 million more for a Booksmart or something similar.

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Disney has been pretty much saving the summer from collapsing from given how flawed these flops were clearly from even a concept level.

Key is not that much about making the best films but making films that make people want to go to a theatre and spend 15-20 bucks.

27 minutes ago, AlexMA said:

Would it? People have shown time and time again that if the offerings are shit they can stay at home, watch something on Netflix or whatever. We've had much worse weekends before in the summer, I don't think much would change. Maybe $1-2 million more for a Booksmart or something similar.

Agreed. The best promotion for a film is a theatrical trailer on a full screen and surround sound. 

The problems is when you're showing your film in the best possible format, and people still aren't interested. 

34 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Lol you think if there was no Endgame, I would have watched 3 other movies instead at theatres? ( i saw it 3 times).

I would be at home and watch Netflix or play my ps4 or do whatever i do in life. 

17 hours ago, Menor said:

Lol it wouldn't have underperformed no matter what

There's actually good reason to believe it would have. No one asked for a 4th Toy Story, the teasers looked unenthusiastic and seemed to not garner buzz, and the family film market for the Summer was overcrowded. Safe to say that the Pikachu and Pets 2 underperformances + the Aladdin overperformance + the phenomenal reviews + the insane Incredibles 2-like presales and tracking were kind of unexpected.

I'm now convinced that Pixar is capable of powering anything to its best possible performance just for having the word "Pixar" in the title. Kinda like Marvel. The Good Dinosaur would have done worse if it wasn't a Pixar movie..... 'twas a bomb with spectacularly failtastic marketing that I'm sure made people not even realize it was a Pixar movie and it still made about as much as the better promoted, much better reviewed and based off of a popular IP The Peanuts Movie. Would've gone sub-100M if it was made by literally any other studio. Cars 3 would have certainly made sub-100M if it had been anything but a Pixar movie. Explain to me how else would it make 150M+ when the sequel to The Secret Life Of Pets, which made more than double that, will come in under it.

As for this weekend...... I wouldn't be shocked if Sony does indeed make a deal with Marvel to make the Men In Black a part of the MCU one of these days, as, to those who don't know, MIB is based off a comic book that was then acquired by Marvel (who made some other MIB comics since themselves). Or if they make a real MIB 4 with Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones instead of getting bit in the ass by the same snake that made ID4: Resurgence and the 2016 Ghostbusters remake total failures. As for Shaft, thank God for the small budget. And OUCH at the Pets 2 and Phoenix drops. Pets 2 having a drop as bad as Minions, Phoenix going over 70%..... yikes. Aladdin continues to be the sleeper of the Summer, could 1B be on the table at this point? Good hold for Rocketman too, seems to be tracking on par with Christopher Robin so far, so it might just get to 100M with some of that Paramount fudge power.

• Like 1