sfran43

Dead Weekend Walking Thread: Actuals - MIB International $30.03M | TSLOP2 $24.41M | Aladdin $17.31M | Rocketman $9.42M | Dark Phoenix $9.35M | SHAFT $8.90M

It says something that a lot of the thrill I've been getting out of the box office recently has been watching all these ill-conceived franchise movies tank.

And while I am looking forward to TS4, it's still lamentable that we're relying on a fourquel to avoid a complete catastrophe.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Rocketman is gonna end up making more than either Dark Phoenix or Men in Black and will come close in total to Godzilla despite opening with just over half the amount on the same weekend (and at less than 1/4 the cost) so that's some good news. That and Aladdin are shaping up to be the leggy saviors of the dreary first half of summer.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

It says something that a lot of the thrill I've been getting out of the box office recently has been watching all these ill-conceived franchise movies tank.

And while I am looking forward to TS4, it's still lamentable that we're relying on a fourquel to avoid a complete catastrophe.

Surely this summer Cannot/will-not be as bad as 2017.

That one also gave us Flop/Under-performers galore.

4 minutes ago, jj99 said:

Surely this summer Cannot/will-not be as bad as 2017.

That one also gave us Flop/Under-performers galore.

I haven't done the numbers but I think the Disney juggernauts should keep it from being that bad. 

Nonetheless these upcoming weeks still look pretty dreadful compared to last year even accounting for TS and SM

24 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

so it might just get to 100M with some of that Paramount fudge power.

Yeah, Paramount really are the best when it comes to fudging numbers. 

Summary of 'right' and 'wrong' regarding this summer movie season so far:

1. Rocketman : everything went right before and after release.

2. DP : Reverse Rocketman

3. Aladdin : everything went wrong before release then suddenly everything went right after the release.

4. Godzilla : reverse Aladdin.

5. Pets 2 : nothing right or wrong. Just karma for making a sequel to forgettable movie.

6. MiB : same like Pets. It is what it deserves.

Edited by Claudio
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

If Endgame follows Infinity War. Even though IW had bigger jump on friday the same time last year, which means it might not exactly follow the same drops as IW last year. 

837,000    +52.9 %    
1,146,690    +37.0 %    309,690
1,148,983    +0.2 %          2,293

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAR said:

It still features one of my favorite  errors in recent memory.  Pitbull’s Don’t Stop the Party playing in a scene that takes place in the 80s

I need to watch Gotti now that its on Netflix.

The upcoming weeks will definitely be better for the most part, even if we're still gonna have to put up with looking at puny openers (Anna, Yesterday, and Midsommar all feel destined to open in the single digits column).