sfran43

Dead Weekend Walking Thread: Actuals - MIB International $30.03M | TSLOP2 $24.41M | Aladdin $17.31M | Rocketman $9.42M | Dark Phoenix $9.35M | SHAFT $8.90M

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Rocketman is gonna end up making more than either Dark Phoenix or Men in Black and will come close in total to Godzilla despite opening with just over half the amount on the same weekend (and at less than 1/4 the cost) so that's some good news. That and Aladdin are shaping up to be the leggy saviors of the dreary first half of summer.

There is no way Rocketman's legs are strong enough to catch Godzilla's gross. 20 mill plus lead. Sorry. Don't even want to talk about WW.

46 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

Great weekend for Aladdin. Unless Toy Story 4 obliterates it next weekend it should reach 300m rather comfortably. I'm seeing 304-306m right now.

Nice to have a Memorial Day success story once again after the past few years.

Feel like it should do something like 320M honestly. It's following Maleficent's holds pretty closely, which would be about 342.7M. Just make it a bit more frontloaded, and you'd get something like this.

39 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Nah. The thing happening to Pets will happen to M2.

I am not sure SLOP 2 = Minions 2. I know both are from Illuminati and SLOP 2's run can indicate a fatigue with their films. But it can also mean huge disinterest in SLOP as a franchise in itself more than general hatred towards their average films. Just 6 months ago, Grinch still did pretty well and was kinda a known IP..

I feel like Minions 2 will do better than SLOP 2 but for sure not on DM2 levels but more like perhaps a 30% off from the previous installment or something. Doubt a 50% drop simply because Minions 2 may also have less family competition and won't have a TS4 cutting its late legs. Its release date is also better given that July has been in general a month with better weekdays. It also will have Gru in it so maybe it won't be too bad (unlike M1 which was just minions-focused from a to z with no other characters getting to do anything..)

I feel it's too early to tell whether the Illumination brand is dead, or if SLOP 2 is just a Cars 2/3 situation for Pixar, where even though the brand is liked, some films aren't just meant to be made into franchises.

Anyway what's your Domestic/overseas prediction for M2?

Edited by WayneBorg

4 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Feel like it should do something like 320M honestly. It's following Maleficent's holds pretty closely, which would be about 342.7M. Just make it a bit more frontloaded, and you'd get something like this.

I think that's hard to say. Many movies have fallen off a cliff after good initial legs. 300+ is incredible, anything is just bonus.

Just now, cdsacken said:

I think that's hard to say. Many movies have fallen off a cliff after good initial legs. 300+ is incredible, anything is just bonus.

$300 m definitely done of Aladdin.. extra will be bonus ... right 

• Like 1

Wonder Woman, Tenet and Black Widow should be the biggest things next summer. Maybe Top Gun 2 too if it's good, and I hope Ghostbusters is a hit if only because I love Carrie Coon. Jungle Cruise seems over-predicted as heck

11 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Besides Spider-Man there's nothing coming out between TS4 and TLK (two potential double feature pairings) that could cripple remaining legs though.

Edited by cookie