sfran43

Dead Weekend Walking Thread: Actuals - MIB International $30.03M | TSLOP2 $24.41M | Aladdin $17.31M | Rocketman $9.42M | Dark Phoenix $9.35M | SHAFT $8.90M

Just now, Deja23 said:

All this Mulan discussion has me rewatching the movie again. Anyone know when the Disney movies will get pulled off Netflix?

Whevener Captain Marvel is supposed to go to streaming (October/november).

• Thanks 1

Occurs to me that the live action Disney remakes that I've enjoyed are the ones that I have not seen the originals (Aladdin, Dumbo) so actually might quite like Mulan as not seen that either.

Just now, Avatree said:

Occurs to me that the live action Disney remakes that I've enjoyed are the ones that I have not seen the originals (Aladdin, Dumbo) so actually might quite like Mulan as not seen that either.

Gonna try and watch Dumbo today or tomorrow. I remember the original being super boring as a kid so I dont really have high expectations for it.

15 minutes ago, AJG said:

Stand in a booth and talk for 30 minutes. It's not the bloody Olympics. 

He probably could do it if he has taken good care of himself. If he has retained his voice he can still do it

Edited by Geo1500

28 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

No songs = no billion

Without songs, it wouldn't be any different from other Chinese historical epics and China wouldn't give a shit about the movie. And why the hell would it makes 350 mil in Japan?

Yea, strange decision on no music. Also, Mulan is one of the less appreciated Disney Renaissance flicks in China (if the Douban score is any indication). People have too often made the mistake in thinking that Chinese actors/storylines make a film a surefire hit in China (same with Japan), so I think we can't for sure say for sure that it has any more break out potential than any other live action adaptation in Asia. Lets not forget, its still a Western film and thats primarily how it will be perceived in those markets (again, if history is any indication).

I do think Mulan has a lot of potential I am not docking the film, but I think there is reason to temper our expectations about the kind of business it will do in Asia

33 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

Hate to admit that i have not seen any of the classic 90s Disney movies in years. I should do it. I still have a VHS somewhere

disney Renaissance: 10 Movies in total and sequals to some of the movies. 

1. The Lion king is the biggest movie of the DR era and has a sequal = 2 Movies 

2. Aladdin is the second biggest DR era movie with 2 sequals = 3 Movies 

3. The little mermaid is the 3rd with 2 sequals = 3 Movies 

4. Beauty and the beast  = 1 Movie 

5. Mulan is the 5th biggest DR era movie with 1 sequal = 2 Movies 

6. Pocahontas = 1 Movie

These listed aboved are recommanded and fun to watch.

There are minor once like Hercules, Tarzan, The Rescuers Down Under and The Hunchback of Notre Dame ( No need to watch these 4 movies because they are easily forgettable. 

Sequals: The return of Jafar which is Aladdin 2 is avoidable and the same goes to Mulan 2, while Lion king 2 is actully better then the first one Where as Aladdin 3 is very good better then even the first movie while Little Mermaid 2 and 3 are both really good

Edited by Geo1500

1 hour ago, Sunny Max said:

$1 b is out of reach yeah ... but movie can go higher than our expectations ...

i m seeing $900 M+  (japan & korea breaking-out)

actually charlie did a breakdown, and the movie could really challenge 1 bill, probably not but its not unrealistic

1 minute ago, john2000 said:

actually charlie did a breakdown, and the movie could really challenge 1 bill, probably not but its not unrealistic

yeah he said $985 M to $1 B .... with TS4 incoming .. i think it will be tough for Aladdin to crack $1 B mark 

4 hours ago, Menor said:

Pikachu and Pets 2 were never on the hype level of Toy Story. They would have little to no impact on the anticipation for it even if they had performed better. The only thing that could have hurt TS4 is if the movie was bad, but that seems to not be the case.

You clearly must've not been in the internet when Pikachu's 1st trailer was released. Hell, TS4's 1st trailer came out literally in the same day and it was completely overshadowed by Pikachu. Pikachu was an absolute social media buzzsaw. It just so happened that the internet hype didn't really turn out to correlate to real world hype, kinda like your Pacific Rims of the world. And as for Pets 2, well, it was a sequel to a movie that made nearly 370M DOM. There was little indication that it would underperform this badly many months out. Who the Hell expected Illumination to drop the ball with the marketing as bad as they did? Yeah, there was marketing, but it was reeeeeeally muted compared to any other film they've ever released. It was nothing like the 1st SLOP, which had arguably the greatest marketing campaign in Hollywood animation history. Toy Story 4 not only had the bad publicity of being a completely undesired fourthquel, but its initial marketing was quite off (both in reception and amount of social media movement it created) and it seemed like it would be on a bad end of the stick of a massively competitive Summer for families, coming out after Endgame, Pikachu, Aladdin, Pets and also less than a month before Spider-Man and The Lion King.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

Hate to admit that i have not seen any of the classic 90s Disney movies in years. I should do it. I still have a VHS somewhere

Watch them in HD. A lot of those old Disney films look like they could've been made yesterday.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

You clearly must've not been in the internet when Pikachu's 1st trailer was released. Hell, TS4's 1st trailer came out literally in the same day and it was completely overshadowed by Pikachu. Pikachu was an absolute social media buzzsaw. It just so happened that the internet hype didn't really turn out to correlate to real world hype, kinda like your Pacific Rims of the world. And as for Pets 2, well, it was a sequel to a movie that made nearly 370M DOM. There was little indication that it would underperform this badly many months out. Who the Hell expected Illumination to drop the ball with the marketing as bad as they did? Yeah, there was marketing, but it was reeeeeeally muted compared to any other film they've ever released. It was nothing like the 1st SLOP, which had arguably the greatest marketing campaign in Hollywood animation history. Toy Story 4 seemed like it would be on a bad end of the stick of a massively competitive Summer for families, coming out after Endgame, Pikachu, Aladdin, Pets and also less than a month before Spider-Man and The Lion King.

I meant real world hype. Not online hype. And TS4 is a sequel to a movie that made 415 million DOM in 2010. Idk though there's no way to quantify or prove these things. We can agree to disagree on this.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AJG said:

Watch them in HD. A lot of those old Disney films look like they could've been made yesterday.

Well, they don't because they've killed off 2D. :ph34r:

But yeah even stuff from the 40s is great filmmaking today.