sfran43

Dead Weekend Walking Thread: Actuals - MIB International $30.03M | TSLOP2 $24.41M | Aladdin $17.31M | Rocketman $9.42M | Dark Phoenix $9.35M | SHAFT $8.90M

27 minutes ago, Sunny Max said:

yep didnt expect jump for KOTM ....Nice Fri/Sat all around .. (China & Japan)

domestic $110 M is alive now ... 

If it does $2+ weekend in Japan for $20+ cume $26-27 is locked imo, $30 alive.

3 hours ago, Geo1500 said:

disney Renaissance: 10 Movies in total and sequals to some of the movies. 

1. The Lion king is the biggest movie of the DR era and has a sequal = 2 Movies 

2. Aladdin is the second biggest DR era movie with 2 sequals = 3 Movies 

3. The little mermaid is the 3rd with 2 sequals = 3 Movies 

4. Beauty and the beast  = 1 Movie 

5. Mulan is the 5th biggest DR era movie with 1 sequal = 2 Movies 

6. Pocahontas = 1 Movie

These listed aboved are recommanded and fun to watch.

There are minor once like Hercules, Tarzan, The Rescuers Down Under and The Hunchback of Notre Dame ( No need to watch these 4 movies because they are easily forgettable. 

Sequals: The return of Jafar which is Aladdin 2 is avoidable and the same goes to Mulan 2, while Lion king 2 is actully better then the first one Where as Aladdin 3 is very good better then even the first movie while Little Mermaid 2 and 3 are both really good

Lion King 2 better than the first? Aladdin 3 better than the first? Go home you’re drunk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geo1500 said:

Whoever came last should have moved. Recently Zilla vs Kong moved away from March 2020 due to competition and imo that was a wise decision.

It hasn't moved, yet...but it probably will, judging by some Warner Bros. Exec comments. 

Edited by Macleod

2 hours ago, baumer said:

Doesn't 22-23 scene kind of low especially with Father's Day upon us this weekend?

You are probably right man. I admit I don't follow box office closely in way over a year. I just don't know how most things work anymore. Hell, I had no idea X-Men and Pets were tracking so poorly in tickets sold, I was legitimately expecting like 70M for Pets and 50M for X-Men, while it was apparently obvious for everyone else the movies were gonna flop. I know nothing anymore.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sindreee said:

Lion King 2 better than the first? Aladdin 3 better than the first? Go home you’re drunk.

TLK vs TLK 2: Imo the sequal has more depth due to the love story between Kovu and Kiara being more deep because Kovu was raised to be a bad guy and he has managed to overcome his demons because he was a good guy inside despite being trained to be the bad guy where as the Love story between Nala and Simba is inferior to that. Kovu and Kiara are like Romeo and Juliet in a different way. Kovu makes TLK2 greater due to his character growth and managing to change his destiny by winning over his inner demons and becoming the good guy. 

Aladdin vs Aladdin 3: The story of the king of theives is a bigger story and to be frank it's two stories mashed together. The forty theives can have their own spin-off but overall the story-line was great and much better then Aladdin due to more adventure and also all the scenes in the lost island or disappearing island on top of the giant turtle was great.  It has better message about family values that money is nothing but family is everything. Cassim realizes that his son is his treasure not the wealth he was always searching for at the end.

Imo adventure and story line wise A3 and TLK2 were the superior movies compared to their first

Edited by Geo1500
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 3

4 hours ago, CJohn said:

Pets 2, Dark Phoenix, MIB and Godzilla are all trash. Useless trash. They are getting what they deserve, complete and total worldwide rejection.

Godzilla is far from trash. $350 WW is not exactly rejection either.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 2

2 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I'll say this about this Summer: while, so far, it feels like a complete wasteland of disappointment, the majority of wide releases that have come out in it have been successful:

• Obviously, it's very debatable whether you count Avengers: Endgame as a Summer movie or not, but if you do..... c'mon, it made nearly 8x its 356M production budget (the third biggest in history, only after Pirates 4 and, weirdly enough, Age Of Ultron), it's easily one of the most profitable films of all time;
  • The Intruder, as one of the Screen Gems African American thrillers that follows the Blumhouse model of "low budget niche that makes its money back on OW", turned out to be surprisingly leggy for a film of its kind, and has made 36M WW (33M of those from DOM) on a 8M budget, 4.5x its budget;
  • Pokémon: Detective Pikachu, on a 150M budget, has grossed over 410M, meaning it is close to tripling its budget and has done more than 2.5x it, so while it may have been an underperformer based on expectations, it certainly isn't a flop by any stretch.... as a matter of fact, it's a safely profitable hit for WB;
  • The Hustle, believe it or not, has grossed 78M WW on a 21M budget, meaning it has nearly quadrupled its budget and making United Artists a shocking amount of profit;
  • John Wick: Chapter 3, Parabellum cost 75M and has made over 260M WW, making it a easy runaway hit and one of the most profitable blockbusters of the Summer so far;
  • I can't find A Dog's Journey's budget anywhere, but A Dog's Purpose only cost 22M to make, so I doubt that the budget ballooned much higher, and the film has made 60M WW so far, so I imagine it probably already is a safe one for Universal;
  • Aladdin is obviously one of the biggest hits of the Summer, having made over 626M, more than 3x its 183 budget, and probably on its way to doing 4-5x its budget;
  • Brightburn hasn't been a gigantic money making machine, but it has currently made just under 30M on a 12M budget, around 2.5x its budget, so it's definitely far from a flop as well;
  • Booksmart has also made more than 3x its budget, with 19M on a 6M budget, so again, despite not being a monster hit, it has been a profitable turnout;
  • Rocketman, on a modest 40M budget, has already managed to hit over 115M WW and still has plenty of gas in the tank, so it's well in the green at this point.... it ain't gonna be A Star Is Born and especially a Bohemian Rhapsody, but there's nothing wrong with that as those two films set abnormally high bars to beat;
  • Ma, in typical Blumhouse fashion, tripled its budget on DOM OW alone, and has currently summed up 45M WW on a 5M budget.... meaning it is really close to doing 10x its budget;
  • The Secret Life Of Pets 2, while it has been a huge underperformer and drop-off from the original, has already made 124M WW on a budget of 80M, with still plenty left to make in its current markets + a crap ton of markets where it's yet to release, so it will surely be in the green without a doubt.

The Summer hasn't spawned a lot of bombs so far, and only a few of them have been huge bombs:

• Long Shot was shockingly expensive to make for an R-rated comedy - 40M.... Rogen and Charlize must've been a hell of a paycheck - and so far, the film has only been able to make its budget back, 30M of its current 40+ haul being from DOM, though..... the film does still have plenty of markets left to open on, though, so even though it will likely still fall quite short of the 80M mark it needs to hit to be in the green, it won't be a huge loss for Lionsgate either;
  • UglyDolls is one of the few fugly bombs of the Summer and one of the biggest failures of the year so far, having only made 25M WW on a 53M budget. Similarly to Long Shot, it still has a lot of markets to open on, and those are markets that are fond of animation; however, best case scenario is it makes its budget back and that's about it;
  • Poms has currently made 15M WW on a 10M budget, and with some markets left to open, it could still make the 5M it needs to be in the green, nevermind that it might do well in ancilliaries, so while it ain't a hit right now, it's definitely not a big loss either and it could still end up passing the safe line;
  • Tolkien is definitely a failure, having only made 7.8M on a 20M budget, and while it still has a few markets left to open and it could eventually get its budget back, it has no chance of being anything but a money loser.... however, yet again, it's not a terrible loss due to how tiny the budget is;
  • The Sun Is Also A Star is in the exact same situation as Tolkien, except on an even smaller budget (9M), making it even less of a worry for its financers;
  • Godzilla: King Of The Monsters will top out at around 380M on a 200M budget, which isn't good and makes it a bomb, but again, not a gigantic bomb either. Certainly not compared to.....
  • Dark Phoenix. This thing will make around 230M WW..... also on a 200M budget. Ouch.

As you can see, the ratio is 11/18 hits (12/19 if you count Endgame), a safe majority. And only a few of these are big bombs anyway. As far as MIB International, I think it will be in the green, as I don't see it missing the 220M WW mark it needs to double its 110 budget (should have better legs than Dark Phoenix despite a smaller opening). And Shaft.... well, it won't be a huge loss anyway as its budget was fairly modest.

Godzilla's budget is always shown as $170, yet everyone insists its $200. Where is this info coming from. Not conjecture, what facts?

So if DP gets a 2.348m Friday let's say a 3.2m Saturday and a $3.2m Sunday that would be a $8.75m and a drop of 73.3%.

BOM says that the only movies to drop worse with an opened above 25m are Friday the 13th (-80.4%, started on a Friday the 13th (Valentine's Day was Saturday - don't think this matters) and it was President's Day weekend), All Eyez on Me (-78%, Tupac biopic drama that started on his birthday), The Devil Inside (-76.2%), the Purge (-75.6%) and Fifty Shades (-73.9% from an OWend that had Valentine's Day on it's Saturday and President's Day on Monday).

So the other movies are either Horror (all but All Eyez on Me and Fifty) or they started on a Holiday-Weekend/Special-Day (Friday the 13th and Fifty Shades had this in two regards).

DP has no excuse.

54 minutes ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

I heard that MIB is so bad that the movie ushers have to use a neuralyzer on each and every one of the attendants as they walk out the theater. 

I heard it was a “watch it at home while you’re doing the ironing” kind of movie.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mulan has a fanbase and not to forget alot of SJWs, feminists, and Me-to movements will come out to it. It truly dosen't lack manpower and audience. The director is also a female it's frontloaded. Budget is over 300M. It's not gonna be classic story but Disney's take complete different

The Lion King has a fanbase and not to forget a lot of extreme animal rights activists, PETA types and vegans will come out to it. The director is also a noted player of satanic role playing games that encourage witchcraft.

Hobbs and Shaw has a fanbase and not to forget a lot of MRA's, Samoans and BLM types (Due to a black superhero character!) will come out to it. The director is also a male.

Dora the Explorer has a fanbase and not to forget a lot of Globalists, multiculturalists and believers in ancient conspiracy theories will come out to it. The director is also from Portsmouth. 

This might be my new favourite game!

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Whoever came last should have moved. Recently Zilla vs Kong moved away from March 2020 due to competition and imo that was a wise decision.

Next year in the summer Fast and furious 9 vs Wonder woman 1984

TLK is Disney. Do you expect Disney to cower from competition? The gross of FFH won't go to them anyway, it'll all go to Sony, so I think they don't care if they affect FFH's gross.

4 hours ago, Marathon said:

Only one man(?) can save the box office now...

Childs-Play-e1560526129251.jpg

I remember back when I was a kid and they played tv spots for Seed of Chucky all the fucking time on nearly every channel. It scared the shit out of me and got me into praying every night before I went to bed. 

Now they managed to make him even more creepy. Just look at that smile, I bet he's on those little boy chatrooms. 🤮

Edited by LOGAN'sLuckyRun
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, DAJK said:

With Aladdin grossing say 320 DOM and people talking about crazy OS runs incoming, is 1B WW possible? I would say no, that I don't think 680M is achievable, but I'm not sure what numbers we're actually looking at. I'm still hoping for 500-550 range, but are people thinking it can actually go higher?

I think the floor is higher than $500M OS at this point. It was at $375M as of last Sunday, after a $70.7M third weekend OS (OW in Japan, where it is doing very well). $680M is still $305M away though, which feels like a tall order.