sfran43

Dead Weekend Walking Thread: Actuals - MIB International $30.03M | TSLOP2 $24.41M | Aladdin $17.31M | Rocketman $9.42M | Dark Phoenix $9.35M | SHAFT $8.90M

Yes, that person is clearly wasting their life.  They should instead be on this board a few hours a day arguing with strangers on the web!  That is much more well-adjusted and healthy if you ask me.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 19
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

*fan makes a point to see a baseball game in every stadium in the nation*

*people nod their head and say "Yes, that sounds like good way to spend money"*

*fan decides to set a world record by seeing a film more than 100 times*

*people declare they're a huge loon*

me in response to those folks:

bJTiO57.jpg

===

Like, there are clearly worse ways to spend money here, folks.  Honestly, what's the big deal besides it being a tad eccentric.  I personally can probably think of two dozen worse ways to blow a couple thousand dollars.

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, Porthos said:

*fan makes a point to see a baseball game in every stadium in the nation*

*people nod their head and say "Yes, that sounds like good way to spend money"*

*fan decides to set a world record by seeing a film more than 100 times*

*people declare they're a huge loon*

me in response to those folks:

bJTiO57.jpg

===

Like, there are clearly worse ways to spend money here, folks.  Honestly, what's the big deal besides it being a tad eccentric.  I personally can probably think of two dozen worse ways to blow a couple thousand dollars.

Everygame of Baseball is the same? That is a ridiculous analogy.

I would argue there's more variety in some sports game to game than there is the MCU film to film.

The sentiment is fine though, people can spend money how they like!

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

On one hand, we did it 3 times in 24 hours on OW, including a back to back double showing. 

On the other hand, after the 9th showing, I desperately just wanted to skip to the good parts. 

So. Rock on dude. 

This reminds me I need to get on more showing in. 🤔

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Everygame of Baseball is the same? That is a ridiculous analogy.

I would argue there's more variety in some sports game to game than there is the MCU film to film.

I knew folks would bring up that point, but to folks who aren't interested in sports, they do seem more or less the same.  Besides, analogies by their nature aren't supposed to be precise.  

But if you want a better analogy, think of roadies who go on tour following a band.  Think of the Deadheads out there who went to countless Grateful Dead concerts (and don't bring up the booze/drugs angle, thnx).

Is THAT so different?

More to the point, I really don't see that much of a difference between someone seeing a film ten times, twenty five times, or one hundred times.  Some people might raise their eyebrows a bit at someone who said they saw a film fifteen times in a theater, but it's still normal enough to pass without much comment.

Is 100+ really that different?  I mean, really really?

Even more to the point, most of the records in the Guinness Book of World Records are silly and strange.

When it comes right down to it, I just think calling it "toxic and scary", as a poster did on the last page, to be completely over the top and I wanted to provide a little counter-balance to all the mocking on the last page.

Edited by Porthos
decided to tighten up my point a tad
  • Like 18
  • Knock It Off 1

Seeing  a movie so many times in theaters ain’t my thang, and I wouldn’t call it “normal,” but it’s probably one of the less outlandish ways to try to land a Guinness tbh. “World Record” is not exactly a concept that lends itself to average behavior...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Seeing  a movie so many times in theaters ain’t my thang, and I wouldn’t call it “normal,” but it’s probably one of the less outlandish ways to try to land a Guinness tbh. “World Record” is not exactly a concept that lends itself to average behavior...

Pretty much.

If it helps folks wrap their heads around it, think less of it as some sort of OCD need to watch a film and more of a feat of endurance.  As you say, there are far weirder attempts at endurance feats out there.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

So far the highest grosser this summer is probably going to end about $300m. 

You don't think Wonder Woman 2 will beat that? 

Come on ..... Wonder Woman 1984 will easily beat that ...

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

I knew folks would bring up that point, but to folks who aren't interested in sports, they do seem more or less the same.  Besides, analogies by their nature aren't supposed to be precise.  

But if you want a better analogy, think of roadies who go on tour following a band.  Think of the Deadheads out there who went to countless Grateful Dead concerts (and don't bring up the booze/drugs angle, thnx).

Is THAT so different?

More to the point, I really don't see that much of a difference between someone seeing a film ten times, twenty five times, or one hundred times.  Some people might raise their eyebrows a bit at someone who said they saw a film fifteen times in a theater, but it's still normal enough to pass without much comment.

Is 100+ really that different?  I mean, really really?

Even more to the point, most of the records in the Guinness Book of World Records are silly and strange.

When it comes right down to it, I just think calling it "toxic and scary", as a poster did on the last page, to be completely over the top and I wanted to provide a little counter-balance to all the mocking on the last page.

I'm actually in agreement with you Porthos! Of course I have to be.

People should do what they find enjoyable and those who critise should look to themselves.

Just love Football, the game adapts and changes year by year, new players new stories new tactics etc.

• Like 3

It's amazing how many screens TS4 is going to have available. Theatre owners are probably eager to dump the June underperformers. A fourth or fifth screen for TS4 is going to be a bigger earner than DPX or KOTM. The 8 screen theatre by my place is probably going to dedicate at least 4 screens to it by my guess. With a short run time, there will be a ridiculous amount of showings. 

7 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

This world record thing is just weird sometimes. Like the dude with the longest nails. How do you manage to live with those things?

and how do others around him manage to live with those things. rather live with a person who watches endgame 116 times.

• Haha 1