sfran43

Dead Weekend Walking Thread: Actuals - MIB International $30.03M | TSLOP2 $24.41M | Aladdin $17.31M | Rocketman $9.42M | Dark Phoenix $9.35M | SHAFT $8.90M

4 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Let's be cautious here. There is a tendency to overestimate because of the good domestic hold and superb Japan + Korea holds. Let's see if it can do $100M+ in Japan before entertaining the likeliness of $1B.

he said that it has a shot, not that it will

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

About the MIB:I flop from deadline  hahahhaha

They thought they were blowing up Men in Black with the addition of Thor: Ragnarok‘s Tessa Thompson and Chris Hemsworth, and by taking the pic’s action out of New York to key cities abroad. However, they forgot to take director Taika Waititi with them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Let's be cautious here. There is a tendency to overestimate because of the good domestic hold and superb Japan + Korea holds. Let's see if it can do $100M+ in Japan before entertaining the likeliness of $1B.

I just said it have a shot, not that is likely to get there hahah

3 minutes ago, Alli said:

About the MIB:I flop from deadline  hahahhaha

Although it appears Shaft might be the bigger flop, which is surprising to me. Film rights to Netflix were only around 6-7m, which means WB is on the hook for around 30m production and domestic P&A without any money from international. WB can't catch a break, though to be fair this applies to all non-Disney studios right now. At least WB has Joker and IT2 which will more than make up for the first half of the year

Though New Line only spent around $35M before P&A, and sold off foreign to Netflix for what we hear now was only $6M-$7M, some film finance sources literally believe this film could bleed more money than Men in Black: International at the end of the day. We’ll come back to that point

• Disbelief 1

EG had a very nice PTA bump this weekend. Curious to see next week. Seems like 840+ will happen hopefully more. If it gets closer to 840 by July 1st you could even see 845 DOM

Edited by cdsacken

Just now, Justin4125 said:

Although it appears Shaft might be the bigger flop, which is surprising to me. Film rights to Netflix were only around 6-7m, which means WB is on the hook for around 30m production and domestic P&A without any money from international. WB can't catch a break, though to be fair this applies to all non-Disney studios right now. At least WB has Joker and IT2 which will more than make up for the first half of the year

Though New Line only spent around $35M before P&A, and sold off foreign to Netflix for what we hear now was only $6M-$7M, some film finance sources literally believe this film could bleed more money than Men in Black: International at the end of the day. We’ll come back to that point

Men in Black's international (heh) start seems okay enough that it won't bleed much money or any at all with a $110M budget, even if there obviously is no franchise to build from here. Shaft is completely flopping here with a potential sub-$20M total and will make $0 overseas due to being sold off to Netflix so I guess it adds up.

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Pets 2 could drop 60%+ and Aladdin could drop sub-40% with Toy Story's arrival, which would be enough to overtake it.

Not a good hold for SLOP this weekend. Considering it's Father's Day and it still dropped almost 50%. I assume next weekend will be harsher.

John Wick is on its way to potentially be the highest grossing non-Disney or Disney franchise film of the year DOM until either Hobbs and Shaw or IT 2 two thirds of the way through the year. Not to take anything away from how impressive its performance has been, but also let it sink in how utterly pathetic that makes the non-Disney slate of films this year. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, UserHN said:

Not a good hold for SLOP this weekend. Considering it's Father's Day and it still dropped almost 50%. I assume next weekend will be harsher.

The theme of this summer is clearly "how the mighty have fallen."