sfran43

Dead Weekend Walking Thread: Actuals - MIB International $30.03M | TSLOP2 $24.41M | Aladdin $17.31M | Rocketman $9.42M | Dark Phoenix $9.35M | SHAFT $8.90M

9 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Godzilla now might not pass the 379m gross of the 1998 movie 

It will. Still has Spain. A decent hold domestically... maybe 115-120 in the cards. Still chugging along in China. Japan is holding ok but definitely fizzling there.

All other territories are basically non existent at this point ... might get 10m from them total(including Spain)

thinking like 380-390.

21 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

John Wick is on its way to potentially be the highest grossing non-Disney or Disney franchise film of the year DOM until either Hobbs and Shaw or IT 2 two thirds of the way through the year. Not to take anything away from how impressive its performance has been, but also let it sink in how utterly pathetic that makes the non-Disney slate of films this year. 

I think Hobbs and Shaw and JW3 could be pretty close domestically

Not much worse than last year though, and that's mainly because JW2 is bigger than Hobbs and Shaw.

Last year (if we exclude Deadpool 2 which is now Disney) JW2 and Fallout were the only non-Disney 200M+ dom grossers until the fall (and the only ones above 150M were HT3 and A Quiet Place). It then took until the end of October for a non-Disney film to cross what JW3 will gross domestically

EDIT: We can cancel out A Quiet Place and HT3 with Us and HTTYD3 respectively. So basically its like last year, with JW2 and MI5 stronger domestically than Hobbs and Shaw and Once Hollywood will be, but still the latter 2 films are the only non-Disney summer flicks with domestic potential above JW3

Edited by Justin4125
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 75Live said:

Glad I stayed home from the theater this weekend and watched A Star is Born. Definitely over hyped but still a decent flick that I'm glad I saw. :)

It's underrated if anything. Cooper should have won all the awards 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Justin4125 said:

I think Hobbs and Shaw and JW3 could be pretty close domestically

Not much worse than last year though, and that's mainly because JW2 is bigger than Hobbs and Shaw.

How do you arrive at that conclusion? 

Hobbs & Shaw is basically a sequel to the last two Fast movies, both of which were at least twice as profitable domestic.... and bigger worldwide by multiples of around 5x,

25 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The theme of this summer is clearly "how the mighty have fallen."

I also don't think you can call "The Secret Life of Pets" mighty. It was a success, but its not like it was a world beater or anything. You've got to be mighty to fall... this is more like "the chickens of mediocrity have come home to roost" if we're going to use cliches....

• Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

How do you arrive at that conclusion? 

Hobbs & Shaw is basically a sequel to the last two Fast movies, both of which were at least twice as profitable domestic.... and bigger worldwide by multiples of around 5x,

Twice as profitable domestic? That only applies to Furious 7, while Fate of the Furious was only about 35% above JW3 domestically. My logic is that the franchise will follow its downward trajectory domestically (assuming Furious 7 represented the franchises top potential domestically) and that as a spinoff it will struggle even more so domestically compared to the last "main" entry. Yes, the Rock and Statham are very popular movie stars, but I also believe their drawing power domestically is not as high as it is internationally

I still expect it to pass JW3, but I really dont think itll blow by it. I also think itll come in under Fate of the Furious domestically. Interest across social media/youtube has trailed Fate of the Furious by a considerable margin, but those are not solid indicators so who knows

40 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

SLOP2 for Father's day for me. 4 year old is ecstatic....

JW3 on Tuesday for me.

We went to see SLOP2 today, audience seemed to enjoy it. But it has like 4 stories going on, they should’ve  settled on one. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Justin4125 said:

Twice as profitable domestic? That only applies to Furious 7, while Fate of the Furious was only about 35% above JW3 domestically.

You were comparing it to John Wick 2 though weren't you? Either way, John Wick.... as big a breakout as it is this year.... is still a hyper-violent R-rated mid-budget action movie. It'll probably make more money for the studio, but I can't imagine it'll make more money than a blockbuster PG-13 sequel to Fast & Furious that gets rid of all the stupid boring unlikable parts of that series (Vin Diesel, Tyrese Gibson, etc) in exchange for some Tango & Cash meets Mission: Impossible fun. 

Plus Idris Elba as "Black Superman." 

I used to think Hobbs and Shaw had 300 potential, but at the rate everything not Disney has gone this year, I'm hesitant to even say 200 now. Still think the trailers for it have been far more effective than anything from F8's marketing and taking the focus off of Vin Diva is exactly what the franchise needed. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, WP Kelley said:

Godzilla's budget is always shown as $170, yet everyone insists its $200. Where is this info coming from. Not conjecture, what facts?

Variety reports the budget as roughly 200M. Forbes also says it's around 200. If it really is 170M, I think that they would have said so, instead of saying that it's 200.

Anyway, stupid weekend. Good for the holdovers (except Dark Phoenix), sad for the new entries.

What's interesting is that the two biggest non-Disney films of the year (Us and John Wick) are both R, with IT2 soon to join. This is very telling because R rated films are the one part of the market Disney doesn't compete in. It just further highlights how Disney is completely decimating all of its competition in the PG/PG-13 arena. Even FFH can't be considered any kind of win against the Disney monopoly since it's only doing what it does because it's part of Disney's biggest current franchise. 

I wonder if we will see the other studios ramp up the R rated blockbusters just to get away from going up against the Mouse? 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 5