sfran43

Dead Weekend Walking Thread: Actuals - MIB International $30.03M | TSLOP2 $24.41M | Aladdin $17.31M | Rocketman $9.42M | Dark Phoenix $9.35M | SHAFT $8.90M

1 hour ago, a2k said:

SHAFT starts off at 96% on RT with 101 verified ratings.

MIB at 71% after 309 verified ratings.

To clarify.... you're posting the RT ratings for the original films, not the continuations currently stinking up the box office, correct? 

or are those the audience ratings for the for new stinkers? If so... wow. This ends up proving a very good point about how useless audience scores at any outlet are.... not just because of how extreme a minority they are compared to the larger attendance, but because anyone who cares enough to actually rate a movie on RT or IMDB is probably someone whose taste you shouldn't trust.

edited to add: It's sort of funny to realize Rotten Tomatoes is basically contributing to the idea that "critics don't know anything anyway" by letting there be an audience score at all. It's a weird thing to highlight on a site that's all about telling you what critics think... the Audience Score isn't much more than an out for people who don't like the critics score, so they can say "see, critics don't know anything..." Kinda like how the "adjust for inflation" numbers are only there so people can poo-poo the financial success of a movie they don't like. "Well, if we adjust for inflation...." 

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

77% is actually unbelievable bad. The way numbers tend to get presented in drops rather than holds kind of masks that, but if it did double that much money it would still be a 54% drop.  

77% is:

2 weekends worth of dropping at 52% each

3 weekends worth of 39% drops

4 weekends worth of 31% drops

5 weekends worth of 25% drops

If it holds, Dark Phoenix is only behind Friday the 13th 2009 in terms of 2nd weekend drops for a film in more than 3,000 theaters. Even Mortal Engines held better.

3 minutes ago, Menor said:

Bit of a slowdown for MIB in the last few hours on Pulse, now that Deadline estimate makes more sense, though I'm still going with 7-9 as my range.

are you checking pulse on fandango ...?? 

Ugh look I know it's concerning the amount of power Disney has atm but it's not like other studio's are making it difficult for Disney to dominate. This summer really is starting to make this year feel like 2016 again. Thank goodness at least one non-Disney film is guaranteed to perform well this summer......

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Ugh look I know it's concerning the amount of power Disney has atm but it's not like other studio's are making it difficult for Disney to dominate. This summer really is starting to make this year feel like 2016 again. Thank goodness at least one non-Disney film is guaranteed to perform well this summer......

It really says a lot that out of the three tentpoles I've liked so far this summer, only one of them isn't from Disney. Granted I haven't seen KOTM, Phoenix, Pets or MIB yet, but...I doubt I'll end up liking them. Even if you want to make the argument "oh, people need to see small movies instead", which is true, I can't blame audiences sticking with Disney this summer.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I’d say 2

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

It really says a lot that out of the three tentpoles I've liked so far this summer, only one of them isn't from Disney. Granted I haven't seen KOTM, Phoenix, Pets or MIB yet, but...I doubt I'll end up liking them. Even if you want to make the argument "oh, people need to see small movies instead", which is true, I can't blame audiences sticking with Disney this summer.

John Wick is the only certified fresh tentpole so far this summer, so it's really only Lionsgate releasing good movies so far.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I’d say 3-FFM, Once Upon A Time and Hobbs and Shaw

1 minute ago, cookie said:

I think OUaTiH could be one of those movies everyone predicts will do huge and then doesn't.

DiCaprio is our last living movie star and it's the only big non-genre film all summer

18 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

It's not so much Disney is invincible but the other studios are not providing much in the way of competition.

I guess it's a matter of opnion whether Dark Phoenix should be regarded as a Disney film or not (rreleased under Disneyk but made by Fox before the merger) but Disney will be the who has to eat the red ink on it.