Wormow

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes | November 17, 2023 | Prequel about President Snow | Francis Lawrence to direct | Given a SAG interim agreement

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

I still find it really interesting that a lot of the audience just decided not to watch MJ1. I was among them as well. It was not for quality reasons for sure since everyone loved Catching Fire, but when it came to MJ1 I think the prevailing opinion was "I will likely watch this when the next one comes out" and then when MJ2 came out it was "Oops, I forgot and the reviews aren't great anyway"

I think the biggest reason the Mockingjay movies dropped was that ... they werent Hunger Games movies. They were political revolution-movies set in the Hunger Games world. And audiences mostly came before for "A group of teens is killing each other in an arena, how FUN!" regarding these movies, they didnt care that much about the political message or a real change in that world lol.

9 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I think the biggest reason the Mockingjay movies dropped was that ... they werent Hunger Games movies. They were political revolution-movies set in the Hunger Games world. And audiences mostly came before for "A group of teens is killing each other in an arena, how FUN!" regarding these movies, they didnt care that much about the political message or a real change in that world lol.

A standalone Mockingjay movie would have done over $450m and possibly near $500m - it would have been a thrilling, emotional film with incredible set pieces and momentum. It reads better as a film than a book. It would have also been the only trilogy in history to not only increase with each film, but to increase over a $400m+ predecessor. 

Mockingjay 1 badly sent everything into a tailspin...with lackluster WOM and reviews really killing momentum and 2015 having the return of Star Wars, Jurassic World, Avengers, F7, etc to really suck up the spotlight. 

A shame because the trilogy could have been an absolute classic. MJ1 wasn't dense like DH1 (and DH1 at that time was the only Part 1 film that got good reviews that was consistent with the franchise until Infinity War) and a lot of it was filler. The crazy thing is that Lionsgate didn't even learn their lesson when they tried splitting Allegiant!

MJ2 finishing with $281.7m DOM and $653m WW was a big disappointment. The fact that it fell from a Part 1 should not have happened. If Mockingjay was a single film released in 2014, I guarantee the minimum it would have done was $400m+ DOM and $900m+ WW with it probably approaching $450m DOM and $950m-$1b WW.

• Like 3

To be fair Hunter's casting has attracted the most buzz and engagement on social media so far - far outpacing the three leads (Tigiris role is more akin to how much screentime Gale got in the first movie)

On 6/23/2022 at 10:34 PM, snarkmachine said:

The show is huge - doesn't mean individual cast members are. 

Euphoria seems like good grounds to cast from. First, a lot of the target audience they are going for watches Euphoria. Second, The Hunger Games is about kids killing kids. There aren't that many high profile young actors out there, so you cast from high profile shows that have young actors.

On 6/26/2022 at 2:55 PM, Mr Terrific said:

When is Lionsgate PlusMax coming so we can six-part series on the Games wins of Haymitch, Finnick and Johanna?

Maybe one day they would rebrand their Starz service

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starz_Inc.

Starz on canada is on Crave for example, Amazon Video or APple TV channel has it, MoviePlex is on Hulu, would probably stay like that for a while or forever

• Thanks 1

On 6/24/2022 at 7:34 AM, snarkmachine said:

The show is huge - doesn't mean individual cast members are. 

I know Jen Law got already an Oscar nominee but you can say she was  famous before Hunger Games.

Also Liam Hemsworth screams CW teen drama show, those al least are from an Emmy winning tv show.