Wormow

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes | November 17, 2023 | Prequel about President Snow | Francis Lawrence to direct | Given a SAG interim agreement

Yeah they were definitely not ever considered awards contenders lol, and they came after stuff like Up, Avatar and Life of Pi were nominated. 

Though I would gladly take both of the first two having gotten all the awards attention of Silver Linings and American Hustle, those movies aged like milk. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah they were definitely not ever considered awards contenders lol, and they came after stuff like Up, Avatar and Life of Pi were nominated. 

Though I would gladly take both of the first two having gotten all the awards attention of Silver Linings and American Hustle, those movies aged like milk. 

in that time period no, but if something like Dune gets nominated now, why not THG, which at least felt like a complete story and not a part 1

3 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

in that time period no, but if something like Dune gets nominated now, why not THG, which at least felt like a complete story and not a part 1

I don’t think the time period is drastically different for what they will nominate for blockbusters. It’s more different in terms of representation being recognized. 

District 9 way back for example felt like a more daring nom than Dune. 

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I don’t think the time period is drastically different for what they will nominate for blockbusters. It’s more different in terms of representation being recognized. 

District 9 way back for example felt like a more daring nom than Dune. 

so you choose an odd year where they academy forced a hard 10 nominees , soon after they changed voting again where you needed to reach a threshold to get a nomination, which many years only produced 8 , they make it easier now forcing 10 nominees

7 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

not really, it wasn't 10 nominees until after 2020, it was often only 8, if no movie got enough votes. Now they nominate the top 10, often 2 undeserved nominations for blockbusters now

If HG is nominated in other non-best picture category during those years then yes the best picture nomination is likely under strict 10 spots, but HG isn’t. The entire series has zero nomination throughout 4 movies. It would never make any sense for academy to suddenly consider it for best picture. That isn’t how Oscar worked. You must earn enough praise if craft categories before you can prevail at best picture race, that is true for blockbuster movie. Look at avatar, top gun, dune or black panther. 

• Like 2

I think that an impression because of fews movie got made for a while.

Lot of movies of the past could obviously get in in 2021-2022, Don't Look up/Dune/Nightmare alley got in with the lack of competition.

In a regular year, even with a strict 10 movies rules, sequel of first of a sequel setup would still be something really hard to get in.

Avatar-Top gun level maybe could, will have to see if movie production get back to what it was.

7 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

ou must earn enough praise if craft categories before you can prevail at best picture race, that is true for blockbuster movie. Look at avatar, top gun, dune or black panther.

Wonder how much the direction it goes get a bit overrated, being in people mind because you are in their best picture consideration could boost their presence in the craft category as much has the other way around.

Would Ex Machina win best visual effect over star wars if it was not a good movie ? 

It goes probably both ways, everybody vote for best pictures so every branch voters have those movies fresh in mind when they go to vote for their category and vice-versa as well

Edited by Barnack

On 11/17/2023 at 11:30 PM, Youngstar said:

They had to cut quite a lot of stuff. th book is about 150 pages longer than Mockingjay, which basically had 4+ hours to tell it's story. Sure there are some new scenes in those movies, but still. A complete adaption would probably need at least 3.5 hours if not 4.

You couldn't do this in 2. You would have to cut after she wins the games and everything after that is miserable unless you add stuff. 

I'm also not sure about a sequel because what would you do? How he became president? When was that? Would you still use Blyth? Now that he's cracked could he be an appealing protagonist like in this one. He's fine for most of this film until he goes all mad Peeta in the last 10 mins.

14 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

award expansion? Oscar already expanded their best picture field to more than five by the time when HG series came out. Best Makeup maybe and not much else. 

The Hanging Tree song was huge but not nominated for Best Song. I'm surprised they haven't pushed the songs for this one. 

There were a lot of forgettable films nominated in the Hunger Games' years. But the academy is genre blind unless its shoved in their faces. Lord of the Rings was a miracle

Edited by Juliet

15 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Wonder how much the direction it goes get a bit overrated, being in people mind because you are in their best picture consideration could boost their presence in the craft category as much has the other way around.

Would Ex Machine win best visual effect over star wars if it was not a good movie ? 

It goes probably both ways, everybody vote for best pictures so every branch voters have those movies fresh in mind when they go to vote for their category and vice-versa as well

That is why my post specifically mentioned blockbuster. For typical oscar-friendly movies, then the best picture hype does often spillover to craft categories, including some undeserved categories like EEAAO for best song? the power of dog for production design? 

28 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

blockbuster

Probably similar for blockbuster, Lords of the rings/MadMax/Titanic goes so strong in craft because it is a best picture candidate or the other way around, seem to be something that will go both ways.

Craft people will like to think, that their craft are responsible for a movie success-being good, so linking good movie to their craft will be tempting, anytime it is close they will go to reward the better movies and like anything here, name of the game will be having been seen and in people mind the day of the vote.

2 hours ago, Juliet said:

The Hanging Tree song was huge but not nominated for Best Song. I'm surprised they haven't pushed the songs for this one.

I don't think "The Hanging Tree" was eligible for Best Original Song because the lyrics were preexisting from the books and therefore not specifically written for the movie. The original songs got pushed for awards but only hit precursors like the Golden Globes.

I thought it was odd how the original series couldn't even make the crafts categories when other youth fantasy/sci-fi movies like Potter/Narnia/Lemony Snicket could. Maybe the Hunger Games prequel will have better luck with Oscar, like how the first Fantastic Beasts movie finally won an Oscar while the main Potter series never did.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

I just can’t see what aspects of the movies were ever going to appeal to the academy in a best picture sense? Lawrence gives strong performances in the first two especially, so maybeee actress is like the most I could have ever seen. But she had SLP and AH those years (which again, aged terribly imo). 

5 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I don't think "The Hanging Tree" was eligible for Best Original Song because the lyrics were preexisting from the books and therefore not specifically written for the movie. The original songs got pushed for awards but only hit precursors like the Golden Globes.

I thought it was odd how the original series couldn't even make the crafts categories when other youth fantasy/sci-fi movies like Potter/Narnia/Lemony Snicket could. Maybe the Hunger Games prequel will have better luck with Oscar, like how the first Fantastic Beasts movie finally won an Oscar while the main Potter series never did.

The Oscars have never been about "chasing a fad" but even though the books were still being written while the movies were being made, I think Harry Potter garnered more respect (for nominations, at least) simply because those movies having so many British thespians (including a number of Oscar winners and nominees) in them gave them an added sense of class and validity. No disrespect to the talented folks in the Hunger Games movies, but the overall cast of those films doesn't compare to the roster of respected talents that grew over each Potter movie who had no problem lending their support and staying in the background to child actors that were growing up on camera. Even with the movies arriving while JLaw was an Oscar favorite and the obvious allegories to the real world (under the guise of entertainment), it's no surprise the Academy ultimately had zero use for the Games series.

As for the Oscars going for this for techs, I doubt they'll bother since they've never been good about embracing stuff that they didn't from the beginning and even though it's the only movie matching or exceeding box office expectations in what's shaped up to be a disaster of a November (and potentially the entire holiday season if nothing from December catches on, which seems possible at this point), it's still posting a total that sticks out like a sore thumb when next to all of the Katniss movies (ignoring inflation, Harry-free Fantastic Beasts 1 put up a total within $15M of the lowest-grossing Potter movie). Not to mention Lionsgate has been out of the awards game for years. This movie is fortunate that it won't face the same kind of scrutiny the other fallen franchises this year will thanks to smart budgeting, which is enough of a win for all involved.

• Like 1

pretty good

but some small character moments made me think this had the potential to be something truly extraordinary if it was more committed to a theme and more fully tied it around its exploration of Snow 

like the third act, but it really needed an international monologue, the actual hunger games, outside of some moments that got a bit a creative, really didn't do much for me this time around, the pacing a bit awkward at times and the movie sometimes tried a bit too hard 

I'll have to check out the book

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

Just now, interiorgatordecorator said:

pretty good

but some small character moments made me think this had the potential to be something truly extraordinary if it was more committed to a theme and more fully tied it around its exploration of Snow 

like the third act, but it really needed an international monologue 

I'll have to check out the book

at times it felt like it wanted to be something more, to break free from its shackles as genre fiction and become some sort of philosophical moral tale, but though those moments remained moments, they were very clearly there

off the top of my head, small parts of the conversation between Snow and his friend on the train dont belong in a dystopian movie about kids killing kids, they belong in something greater and much more ambitious