Wormow

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes | November 17, 2023 | Prequel about President Snow | Francis Lawrence to direct | Given a SAG interim agreement

I could have seen this breaking out in a less crowded month but as it now stands, November is incredibly competitive and all of its main competition (Chalamet/Zendaya/Pugh/Butler led Dune 2, The Marvels and Wish) overlap in some way or the other with the TG. 

Probably the most YA/young female centric month of blockbuster releases since... ever?

*Before someone states the obvious and says Dune 2 is NOT YA, most of the lead cast and the themes of the film make it more appealing to the Hunger Games demos, even more so than the first film.

3 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

I could have seen this breaking out in a less crowded month but as it now stands, November is incredibly competitive and all of its main competition (Chalamet/Zendaya/Pugh/Butler led Dune 2, The Marvels and Wish) overlap in some way or the other with the TG. 

Probably the most YA/young female centric month of blockbuster releases since... ever?

*Before someone states the obvious and says Dune 2 is NOT YA, most of the lead cast and the themes of the film make it more appealing to the Hunger Games demos, even more so than the first film.

Actually, looking at the demographics breakdown, Dune's audience on the opening were 70% over 25 (44% male and 26% female) and overall 61% male and 39% female. Captain Marvel was closer at 45% female (but still not Hunger Games level) but audience was even older with 74% over 25 years on the opening weekend. I don't think it will change so much with their respective sequels since Zendaya was already a big part of Dune marketing and meanwhile Ms Marvel appealed a younger audience not many watched it. I could be wrong though. 

Stars that appeal to younger audience don't always mean themes that appeal to younger audience. Dune II is poised to make more than Dune I off older, male-skewing audience. The Marvels is poised to make less than the first also from male-skewing audience (MCU audience skews male, period, and increase of female characters hasn't changed that ratio cause themes are still more appealing to men). So Balad has a chance to act as counter-programing. 

• Like 1

Trailer made the last two part one look good. That was bland as hell. Glad to hear people that saw it super early say it's legit so maybe just a crap trailer. They'll need better trailers than that though. Looked like a WB or Netflix straight to streaming spinoff series or something. Like a Hunger Games imitation or cover band. Gave me heavy, heavy Maze Runner vibes not Hunger Games vibes.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

I know it's still early-ish, but it feels like Lionsgate has already given up on advertising this. You would think they would have put out a trailer for this in time for the biggest movie event for women this year, but they just didn't for some reason. Like we recently got trailers for both Dune and The Marvels, but not this. Do they want to fail? I don't get it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I think the moment for this series has simply passed tbh. A prequel without JLaw or anyone else from the OG movies was always going to be a huge gamble as well. Hopefully the budget was reasonable.

The movie looks like its budget would fall around Mockingjay Part 1

3 hours ago, Speedorito said:

I think it’s a Margot Robbie situation: she’s in films that have done poorly but she’s not the reason why they did poorly.

Ehh I'm not sure. She was a smaller part of Wolf of Wall Street but that movie made money. That plus the first Suicide Squad I can see why she'd get cast in stuff. But Zegler has two movies to her name and while West Side Story is great, both are big bombs. Not that she's bad, but there are plenty of people who are talented but just can't open a movie.

Now obviously it's early in her career and stuff like that can change, but this is gonna rely much more on the original films goodwill than her star power 

Edited by SpiderByte

Yeah I’m feeling it might move, unless Lionsgate secretly believes it’s an unredeemable dud. Unlike Dune 2 and The Marvels there’s been no additional promotion since April.

Honestly I’m hoping all the November blockbusters (except Wish since it doesn’t seem like it needs as much promotion) get pushed if the strikes don’t end by Labor Day. I would hate to see them all underperform because of the studios’ greed. And based on how Haunted Mansion went, it really sucks for the cast when they can’t promote their work or attend the premieres, and it sucks for the directors when all the extra promo falls on them.

On 7/29/2023 at 9:08 PM, Speedorito said:

Yeah I’m feeling it might move, unless Lionsgate secretly believes it’s an unredeemable dud. Unlike Dune 2 and The Marvels there’s been no additional promotion since April.

Honestly I’m hoping all the November blockbusters (except Wish since it doesn’t seem like it needs as much promotion) get pushed if the strikes don’t end by Labor Day. I would hate to see them all underperform because of the studios’ greed. And based on how Haunted Mansion went, it really sucks for the cast when they can’t promote their work or attend the premieres, and it sucks for the directors when all the extra promo falls on them.

Never mind then lol

2 hours ago, Eric the Turtle said:

That background is distractingly bad and I have no idea what the Academy is (or maybe I just forgot) but still looking forward to this.

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Is it time to talk about how Dinklage..really hasn't had a good performance since Tyrion?

It's only been 4 years since GOT ended. And he's barely even been in anything since then. Have you watched his 5 non-animated movies since then?