Wormow

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes | November 17, 2023 | Prequel about President Snow | Francis Lawrence to direct | Given a SAG interim agreement

On 11/5/2019 at 12:47 PM, Valonqar said:

Nope. It fizzled with Mockingjay split into 2 movies. Now nobody even mentions Katniss when they talk about iconic strong women in cinemas. Sad but true. Twilight that people thought would ride into oblivion is still a pop cultural reference unlike THG.

This prequel is a bomb in making. YA genre is dead. Poeple stopped caring for THG movies and they are not going to care for the prequel. 

Lol pot stirring. YA is far from dead, not even close. Movies like the Irishman are much worse off. Would have been a massive loser in traditional box office. 

Prequel will be like Fantastic beasts. Successful but probably 20% less than the last film. Hope they keep cost down.

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

cash grab that's only going to lose them money. 

That sound unlikely, that Liongates, probably have middle confidence in this, they will probably try to be exposed to less than 15% of that budget after international pre-sales like usual (if they do not achieve to sell it for more than it's budget like the HG sequels).

2 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Prequel will be like Fantastic beasts. Successful but probably 20% less than the last film. Hope they keep cost down.

SuccessfulI but with a 50% less than the last film at least, Harry Potter is a very special franchise and giant studio blockbuster  what all that come with it in product placement/WW promoting machine .

I would imagine a 60-70M production really happy to make 250-275M WW like Divergent did at the peak of the genre.

Edited by Barnack

On 11/5/2019 at 12:47 PM, Valonqar said:

Nope. It fizzled with Mockingjay split into 2 movies. Now nobody even mentions Katniss when they talk about iconic strong women in cinemas. Sad but true. Twilight that people thought would ride into oblivion is still a pop cultural reference unlike THG.

This prequel is a bomb in making. YA genre is dead. Poeple stopped caring for THG movies and they are not going to care for the prequel. 

Not sure how true it is in the last season of Last Chance U on Netflix when the football coach started massively firing is staff (a 100% male crowd, some on the older side) one said that the Hunger Games begin and one other started doing the whistle thing.

As for the YA genre dead even the dystopia subgenre it is not a all or nothing case, it is an harder sale and to your point thing to bring something new, but Ready Player One just did $580M WW, but it is hard to see what this one could offer for fresh twist like this one did (and arguably Alita Battle angels had a bit of a fresh twist on that YA-dystopia, impressive visual and production and failed to take off but still did $400M for a supposed dead genre).

Edited by Barnack

16 hours ago, Barnack said:

That sound unlikely, that Liongates, probably have middle confidence in this, they will probably try to be exposed to less than 15% of that budget after international pre-sales like usual (if they do not achieve to sell it for more than it's budget like the HG sequels).

SuccessfulI but with a 50% less than the last film at least, Harry Potter is a very special franchise and giant studio blockbuster  what all that come with it in product placement/WW promoting machine .

I would imagine a 60-70M production really happy to make 250-275M WW like Divergent did at the peak of the genre.

Perhaps. Fantastic beasts did pretty well versus average of Potter films minus the finale. Part 1 did 934m vs 812m. 

I think 275m is extremely bearish but we'll see. I'd think 400ish if not 450-500. Very mediocre Pokemon film did above that.

Edited by cdsacken

30 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I might be disconnected with HG fandom since movies ended so I cannot imagine anyone clamoring for President Snow prequel. But then, I'm not interested in buying the book so I'm not the target audience for this movie anymore. 

Can't wait for the audio book in May. Will get it immediately

3 hours ago, ChipMunky said:

lol this is going to bomb

It's quite early to guess the box office, as we know basically nothing about the project. Although for me it's hard to imagine a flop if they will be able to keep the production budget reasonable (like in the 50-100M range).

2 hours ago, misafeco said:

It's quite early to guess the box office, as we know basically nothing about the project. Although for me it's hard to imagine a flop if they will be able to keep the production budget reasonable (like in the 50-100M range).

Think of Solo, but worse.

• ...wtf 1

14 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

Think of Solo, but worse.

That's a terrible comparison. Solo had a budget rivaling the most expensive blockbusters. This one's cost will not even be in the ballpark of the already cheap (by blockbuster standards) THG sequels. For a 75M budget even 200M WW is a success.

Let's get back to this topic when we have more information, until then it's only blind speculation. With zero knowledge it's a bit premature to state it will bomb, don't you think?

2 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

i think this project needs fresh eyes if it’s going to succeed. francis lawrence did a decent job, but time to let someone else take the reins. what’s kathryn bigelow doing these days?

That would be a fantastic choice, I would also like to see Ava DuVernay take on this. 

Lionsgate on Tuesday unveiled a long-anticipated The Hunger Games prequel movie in the works as trilogy writer Suzanne Collins gets set to release her The Ballad of Songbirds and Snake novel on May 19.

The Hunger Games prequel film will focus on Coriolanus Snow at age 18, years before he would become the tyrannical President of Panem. Young Coriolanus is handsome and charming, and though the Snow family has fallen on hard times, he sees a chance for a change in his fortunes when he is chosen to be a mentor for the Tenth Hunger Games, only to have his elation dashed when he is assigned to mentor the girl tribute from impoverished District 12.

Color Force’s Nina Jacobson, who has produced all of the films in the Hunger Games franchise, will produce the film adaptation of the new novel, along with her partner Brad Simpson. Francis Lawrence, who directed Catching Fire, Mockingjay Part 1, and Mockingjay Part 2, will return to the director’s chair.

Collins will write the film’s treatment and Michael Arndt, the Oscar- winning screenwriter of Little Miss Sunshine, will adapt the screenplay. Arndt previously served as one of the writers of Catching Fire.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/hunger-games-prequel-movie-works-at-lionsgate-1291105

• Like 1