Wormow

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes | November 17, 2023 | Prequel about President Snow | Francis Lawrence to direct | Given a SAG interim agreement

On 5/20/2020 at 9:20 PM, snarkmachine said:

yes, snow is one of the main characters but the girl will be much trickier to pull off. imagine manic pixie dream girl times ten and then imagine a very annoying love story between them. i don't think suzanne collins is very good at writing love stories, and this one was much worse than katniss and peeta. casting is going to be key in the movie, and i don't know what it says about the book that i, a perpetual fan-caster of every book i read, have come up with absolutely nothing for both the main characters in the book

I think the girl from Jojo Rabbit could be great as Lucy Gray. For Snow I have no idea who they could cast, but I guess a new actor could be the best option.

https://deadline.com/2021/08/hunger-games-prequel-ballad-songbirds-snakes-movie-production-start-in-first-half-of-2022-1234810116/

Lionsgate’s Hunger Games prequel film based on Susan Collins’ novel The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes is aiming to start production in the first half of 2022.

That update came from Lionsgate motion picture group chairman Joe Drake during the company’s quarterly earnings call with Wall Street analysts. The tentpole film is targeted for release in either late fiscal 2023 or early 2024, he said. It’s “moving along really, really well” in pre-production, he said.

8 minutes ago, AJG said:

Jesus.

if the streets don’t care about a Harry Potter film prequel series what makes them think we’ll care about this?

as long as they keep the budget reasonable and don’t do stupid shit like split it into 5 movies then it should do fine 

• Like 1

The book's got enough plot that they easily could have split it into two movies, so good on Lionsgate for keeping things relatively compressed at one movie (that we know of so far).

Guessing this'll drop heavily from the Hunger Games movies but if they keep the budget in check, this could still do reasonably okay. Could also benefit from the ongoing superhero movie dominance as this will be tonally different enough from ye average Marvel production to stand out to general audiences as a nice change of pace (although the movie could also suffer if it reminds folks too much of the horrors of contemporary politics). Should be interesting to follow!