charlie Jatinder

Monday (6/17) Numbers

7 minutes ago, infamous5445 said:

IW misses TFA by about 20M

EG misses Avatar by about 20M

What a pattern

Funny, that if AIW had TFA's exchange rates it would have overtaken it WW while if AEG had AIWs exchange rates it would already be well over $2.8b.

Them's the breaks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

45 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Funny, that if AIW had TFA's exchange rates it would have overtaken it WW while if AEG had AIWs exchange rates it would already be well over $2.8b.

Them's the breaks.

perhaps not true in case of TFA. IW would have a bit lower Canada at TFA rate and China and Europe would have been lower as well.

In about 80% of market, IW lost $45mn at 2019 ER while TFA lost only $5mn.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EeD1sXigLMJpYL4lCufDkuGM_zcI5jDH77io-GykQrE/edit?usp=drivesdk

• Like 3

If AEG gonna get Disney 60%+ of dom gross opposed to 55% then it's looking at ~505 theatrical returns on 840 total.

It's Dom + China will be about 1470 (840 + 630). How many movies this year manage a global total close to that? Phew.

Edited by a2k

1 hour ago, a2k said:

If AEG gonna get Disney 60%+ of dom gross opposed to 55% then it's looking at ~505 theatrical returns on 840 total.

It's Dom + China will be about 1470 (840 + 630). How many movies this year manage a global total close to that? Phew.

According to Deadline it's 65% 

(so was AIW and reportedly AOU and maybe CW.  IM3 was 60% and the first time Disney sought a bigger than 55% share since that split was implemented.  Also the last main studio to do so for their prime tent poles.)

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

According to Deadline it's 65% 

(so was AIW and reportedly AOU and maybe CW.  IM3 was 60% and the first time Disney sought a bigger than 55% share since that split was implemented.  Also the last main studio to do so for their prime tent poles.)

I can't find the source right now because I remember reading it probably 20 years ago when it was posted. I believe Phantom Menace started at 75%, first two weeks, then gradually dropped all the way to 50% after the first two months. Imagine that kind of split today for a movie like Endgame, which made almost two thirds of its domestic gross by the end of its second weekend.

Edited by AlexMA
corrected a word
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

28 minutes ago, AlexMA said:

I can't find the source right now because I remembering reading it probably 20 years ago when it was posted. I believe Phantom Menace started at 75%, first two weeks, then gradually dropped all the way to 50% after the first two months. Imagine that kind of split today for a movie like Endgame, which made almost two thirds of its domestic gross by the end of its second weekend.

The split was even higher than that. I think it was about 90% and it dropped from there every week.  Phantom Menace also had a mandatory 12 week run contract which guaranteed longer runs in theaters. With theaters getting a small % on the front end of the run but bigger and bigger on the back theater might have been making more the 6th week than the first.  For multi screen theaters this encouraged even longer runs as grew.   Though, if they were one screen theaters or theaters in a smaller city or town with limited potential audience they were screwed as audience ran out after a few weeks and they couldn't show a new movie for 3 months.   A lot of theaters, especially smaller independents went out of business until the new split %s were put into effect.