Eric Addams

Soul l Disney/Pixar l June 19, 2020 l Pete Docter directs | Jamie Foxx, Tina Fey, Questlove, Daveed Diggs, Phylicia Rashad

Two Pixar movies within less than four months yay.

Awesome! glad to have this confirmed. Will always be excited for a Pixar original.

Streets of NYC to cosmic realms? Bring it on. :)

• Like 2

Dammit! I really hoped that June Pixar release on the schedule had gone away. I'm sorry, but I think this is a horrible choice to schedule two movies from them 3 months apart. Has any major animation studio ever even done that before? It really dilutes the ability of the Pixar brand to be a draw for both films, and moreover if Onward really breaks out, it might still be having a late leg run when this opens. Not a fan of this tactic.

At any rate, this sounds like it could be one of Pixar's most ambitious movies to date. Is it really going to deal with stuff like the concept of the soul? Kinda sounds like what they are getting at. If so, this sounds like it will be one of their most mature films, but also sounds like it has some of the biggest potential to go very wrong commercially and/or creatively of anything they've done. Glad they're taking risks though. 

• Like 1

2 Pixar originals in 1 year. Maybe 2020 doesn't look so bad after all

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Dammit! I really hoped that June Pixar release on the schedule had gone away. I'm sorry, but I think this is a horrible choice to schedule two movies from them 3 months apart. Has any major animation studio ever even done that before? It really dilutes the ability of the Pixar brand to be a draw for both films, and moreover if Onward really breaks out, it might still be having a late leg run when this opens. Not a fan of this tactic.

At any rate, this sounds like it could be one of Pixar's most ambitious movies to date. Is it really going to deal with stuff like the concept of the soul? Kinda sounds like what they are getting at. If so, this sounds like it will be one of their most mature films, but also sounds like it has some of the biggest potential to go very wrong commercially and/or creatively of anything they've done. Glad they're taking risks though. 

How to Train Your Dragon and Shrek 4 were two months apart, and they did fine. If anything, if Onward breaks out or is well-liked, wouldn't that just benefit Soul in return?

• Like 4

To answer my question, looks like DWA has done it a few times (HTTYD+Shrek 4, Peabody+HTTYD2, and Boss Baby+Captain Underpants). 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

To answer my question, looks like DWA has done it a few times (HTTYD+Shrek 4, Peabody+HTTYD2, and Boss Baby+Captain Underpants). 

Also Sony Animation with HT2 and Goodebumps and with Goosebumps 2 and Spider Verse

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

How to Train Your Dragon and Shrek 4 were two months apart, and they did fine. If anything, if Onward breaks out or is well-liked, wouldn't that just benefit Soul in return?

Especially when Onward will likely be gone from theaters at that time.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

But to be fair, Shrek was part of a huge franchise and Dragon was initially a flop until other-worldly WOM and legs kicked in. Not to mention, the goal of any Pixar film today is a solid 300 DOM/400 OS performance. I just think this one particularly will struggle to get the Pixar brand boost they usually get on OW, just like Dinosaur did, which had more space than this.  

And besides, DWA is not exactly the studio you want to be emulating. Especially Pixar of all studios. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Can trust Pixar and especially Pete Doctor to deliver. Very excited for this! Makes 2020 much better even by itself.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I just think this one particularly will struggle to get the Pixar brand boost they usually get on OW, just like Dinosaur did, which had more space than this.  

Let's just hope that none of these two are a TGD situation.

If Marvel can do it with two movies close to each other, Pixar should be fine. 

I notice that WDAS is firmly on 1 movie a year at the moment. SPA seems to the only studio doing 3-4 movies although in their case, it's a mix of hybrids and animation. WAG will have two a year from 2021 with Tom and Jerry and Space Jam 2. 

Just now, NCsoft said:

Let's just hope that none of these two are a TGD situation.

It really doesn't matter about the quality though, that's my point. TGD would have gotten a low OW with or without the reviews. It didn't get the Pixar brand boost they usually do because audiences had just got their Pixar fill. This will be in the same situation. It will need incredible marketing to open to anything resembling normal Pixar numbers. 

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I notice that WDAS is firmly on 1 movie a year at the moment. SPA seems to the only studio doing 3-4 movies although in their case, it's a mix of hybrids and animation. WAG will have two a year from 2021 with Tom and Jerry and Space Jam 2. 

Only time they've had more than one a year was 2016 (Zootopia and Moana).

If Black Panther and IW can both do $650M+ DOM in a 2 month timeframe I have no reason why Onward or Soul can’t both do $250M+ DOM, especially when Scoob, Artemis Fowl and Spongebob 3 are such non starters.

• Like 3

It really doesn't matter about the quality though, that's my point. TGD would have gotten a low OW with or without the reviews. It didn't get the Pixar brand boost they usually do because audiences had just got their Pixar fill. This will be in the same situation. It will need incredible marketing to open to anything resembling normal Pixar numbers. 

Good Dinosaur had a troubled production though (they replaced/cut most of the voice cast halfway through its making) and they were probably ready to be done with it by the time it opened.

• Like 3