CoolEric258

Soul l Disney/Pixar l June 19, 2020 l Pete Docter directs

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Dammit! I really hoped that June Pixar release on the schedule had gone away. I'm sorry, but I think this is a horrible choice to schedule two movies from them 3 months apart. Has any major animation studio ever even done that before? It really dilutes the ability of the Pixar brand to be a draw for both films, and moreover if Onward really breaks out, it might still be having a late leg run when this opens. Not a fan of this tactic.

At any rate, this sounds like it could be one of Pixar's most ambitious movies to date. Is it really going to deal with stuff like the concept of the soul? Kinda sounds like what they are getting at. If so, this sounds like it will be one of their most mature films, but also sounds like it has some of the biggest potential to go very wrong commercially and/or creatively of anything they've done. Glad they're taking risks though. 

No.

No to the first paragraph I mean.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Only time they've had more than one a year was 2016 (Zootopia and Moana).

2000 had TENG, Dinosaur and Fantasia

2002 had Stitch and Treasure Planet

• Like 1

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

If Black Panther and IW can both do $650M+ DOM in a 2 month timeframe I have no reason why Onward or Soul can’t both do $250M+ DOM, especially when Scoob, Artemis Fowl and Spongebob 3 are such non starters.

Spongebob 3 should do well. 

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

poor Moana with it's sunny vibes in winter. thankfully it became much more popular now. I think it's clearly the second most popular WDAS fim after Frozen of 2010s now

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A Pixar movie directed by Pete Docter opening in the middle of June a few weeks before a Minions movie. Let's hope the parallels to Inside Out extend to the critical and commercial reception.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Which were strategically placed to seem as much like a different release year as they could have been for the same year. One being a traditional WDAS musical and the other not also helped them stand out. And regardless, WDAS doesn't carry quite the level of brand boost that Pixar does for OW, so maximizing that boost isn't quite as important for them. 

Also on a getting off topic aside, Moana would have added at least 50m DOM as a summer release the following year, where it belonged. 

1 minute ago, Godzilla said:

Spongebob 3 should do well. 

I can’t see it. The CGI allure is already gone with SOOW, the WOM was so-so evident by legs for the 2nd and looking at recent sequels performance, I don’t the prequel especially without Hillenburg’s touch will do well.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

In recent years that is true but I think 2000 had Fantasia 2000, Dinosaur and Emperor's New Groove in the same year and 2002 had Treasure Planet and Lilo and Stitch. 

3 minutes ago, InVy said:

poor Moana with it's sunny vibes in winter. thankfully it became much more popular now. I think it's clearly the second most popular WDAS fim after Frozen of 2010s now

Ugh, such a fucking botched release. Especially with Cars 3 being the non-event everyone knew it would be in summer '17. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Ugh, such a fucking botched release. Especially with Cars 3 being the non-event everyone knew it would be in summer '17. 

Cars 3 might’ve done better in Fall 16, and Moana might’ve swept the summer next to WW.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Hot take: Either Soul or Onward will win the year, domestic and worldwide. Not The Eternals, Widow, or WW84.

Maybe worldwide (and that means none of these films will cross a billion) but I don't see it beating WW84 DOM. The highest grossing original Pixar movie, Inside Out with its insane reception still made over 50 mil less than Wonder Woman. I'm sticking to Coco numbers. With such a late announcement, I don't see it getting the same hype Inside Out did.

I don't think Moana would have done better in the summer. Moana had the fall holidays which are just as helpful for a film like this. It also had less direct competition. In the summer, Moana would have had to compete with DM3 which grossed 264 mil.

8 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Cars 3 might’ve done better in Fall 16, and Moana might’ve swept the summer next to WW.

Well Cars 3 might not have been finished in Fall 2016...

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

I don't think Moana would have done better in the summer. Moana had the fall holidays which are just as helpful for a film like this. It also had less direct competition. In the summer, Moana would have had to compete with DM3 which grossed 264 mil.

It had to compete against Sing, which made more.

• Like 1

Just now, cannastop said:

Which released a month after Moana. DM3 released 2 weeks after Cars 3.

• Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

And was also essentially another musical. 

Moana screamed summer. There's absolutely no way it wouldn't have done better there. It's like arguing July wouldn't have impacted Frozen's gross. 

Interesting concept! I'll be getting a mighty satisfying Pixar fix next year.

I'm curious how the concept will differ from Inside Out, but emotions =/= personality, and they did kind of nod to that...interesting.