CoolEric258

Soul l Disney/Pixar l June 19, 2020 l Pete Docter directs

Posted (edited)

If Pixar's 2020 is akin to Disney Animation's 2016 then we're in for a treat. In regards to Moana's release date, in hindsight you could say that July 2016 was crying out for a big family film (The BFG and Ice Age 5 both underperformed), but it was still successful and has arguably grown in popularity since its theatrical run. Ultimately, Zootopia and Moana combined probably made about as much, if not slightly more than most of us would've expected, it's just that the majority of users thought their respective grosses would've been the opposite ( I highly doubt anyone called Zootopia making a billion worldwide).
As for Onward and Soul, I'm very intrigued to see which one comes out on top (there will be some close clubs that's for sure). I know Pixar had two originals in 2015 but The Good Dinosaur was riddled with production problems and felt like a backwards step even on a visual level, plus it was one of many victims of TFA hype that led to lackluster box-office in late November/early December 2015. Both 2020 Pixar movies have compelling premises and strong talent behind them. I'm really hoping WDAS has their next flick ready for the end of 2020 because a trifecta of original animations under the Disney umbrella will be fascinating to track.

Edited by gadd
  • Like 5

I assume more details will be revealed at D23 in late August (along with the rest of Disney's 2020 and 2021 slate).

• Like 1

As for the duplicate discussion the Disney Animation fan speaks up. Fantasia 2000 was technically to drop Christmas 99 but was pushed to new years day so eh? 

Dinosaur was not and is not considered a Disney Animation film, it was the company's first foray into cgi but was not then considered a traditional animation release. It was more than 10 years before the numbered collection was revised to include it officially. 

So technically, the holiday releases (Nov/Dec) schedule was consistent with Emperors Groove being the only offical 2000 animation release. 

2002 though definitely was 2 films. 

Glad to see this film is still coming out and holding to the date! 

Pete docter and that theme. Cant wait. To me this movie will be the bigger grosser of the 2 Pixar releases and could potentially win domestic(though Wondy is the favorite).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Maybe worldwide (and that means none of these films will cross a billion) but I don't see it beating WW84 DOM. The highest grossing original Pixar movie, Inside Out with its insane reception still made over 50 mil less than Wonder Woman. I'm sticking to Coco numbers. With such a late announcement, I don't see it getting the same hype Inside Out did.

1984 will drop for sure without benefitting from the hype being the first female CBM.

12 minutes ago, xiazhi said:

1984 will drop for sure without benefitting from the hype being the first female CBM.

Nothing's for sure until we get the first trailer.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, xiazhi said:

I’m unsure about that since Captain Marvel just did $400M+. Sure Endgame hype helped but a WW had insane legs for a CBM 

4 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Hot take: Either Soul or Onward will win the year, domestic and worldwide. Not The Eternals, Widow, or WW84.

I like this.

I don’t see the problem with the release dates. Weren’t we just talking about how 2020 was going to be a boring draught? 

• Like 2

I'm really looking forward to hearing about the cast. Docter's Pixar outings have featured some inspired and memorable casting decisions (Billy Crystal for Mike in Monsters Inc., Ed Asner as Carl in Up and Lewis Black as Anger in Inside Out). Hopefully he continues to give some notable TV actors some spotlight. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think too much shoud not be read into what happened in 2015 with Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur. The Good Dinosaur was a very troubled project,and a seriously flawed film, and would have been a box office fail for Pixar even if it had been the only Pixar film released that year. It was not well written....which violated one of Pixar's rules;if you don't have a good script, you will not have a good film, no matter how clever the animatation is. GD remains the only real money loser that Pixar has ever made. It did not lose a huge amount compared with some really serious bombs, but still it was the first time a Pixar film ended up in the red.

It depends on how good Soul and Onward are, really. if both are good, both will do well at the box office,. If one is good and other not so good, 2015 could repeat itself.

Edited by dudalb

26 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I’m unsure about that since Captain Marvel just did $400M+. Sure Endgame hype helped but a WW had insane legs for a CBM 

WW's hype drew many non CBM fans, which pans its box office out slowly. Similarly black panther, on a much bigger scale though.

Just off the scant description, Soul sounds more interesting than Onward. Add in Pete Docter and we’re going to have something special I believe. 

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Nothing's for sure until we get the first trailer.

Aladdin says HI!*

*Marhaban in Arabic

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, gadd said:

If Pixar's 2020 is akin to Disney Animation's 2016 then we're in for a treat. In regards to Moana's release date, in hindsight you could say that July 2016 was crying out for a big family film (The BFG and Ice Age 5 both underperformed), but it was still successful and has arguably grown in popularity since its theatrical run. Ultimately, Zootopia and Moana combined probably made about as much, if not slightly more than most of us would've expected, it's just that the majority of users thought their respective grosses would've been the opposite ( I highly doubt anyone called Zootopia making a billion worldwide).
As for Onward and Soul, I'm very intrigued to see which one comes out on top (there will be some close clubs that's for sure). I know Pixar had two originals in 2015 but The Good Dinosaur was riddled with production problems and felt like a backwards step even on a visual level, plus it was one of many victims of TFA hype that led to lackluster box-office in late November/early December 2015. Both 2020 Pixar movies have compelling premises and strong talent behind them. I'm really hoping WDAS has their next flick ready for the end of 2020 because a trifecta of original animations under the Disney umbrella will be fascinating to track.

I called zootopia a big hit.. but i rarely judge total numbers in advance unless its a huge movie, so i cant say i even thought about a billion(if i did it wouldnt be out of the question, just ahead in time).. it had great domestic legs, but shame it "only" made 75m ow since that turned into "only" 340m... it deserved more! the messages are spectacular... diversity/going against your own 'nature'/ intellect/prejudice/ inclusion/complacency/family _can_ be average...

TTVOMJ

Edited by Maximum Avery
Typos
  • Like 2

2020 is going to be an interesting year for Disney, compared to 2019, where all of their movies are sequels/remakes, 2020 has 3 original animated movies, 2 non-remake/non-sequel live action movies, 1 original live action movie and only 2 remakes compared to the four we've gotten this year.

3 hours ago, RichWS said:

Docter Pixar is the best Pixar.

There’s value in this statement 

5 hours ago, RichWS said:

Docter Pixar is the best Pixar.

What about Stanton Pixar?

I'm just glad we are getting a Pixar film to be hyped for next year, because I can't say Onward excites me that much.

Now watch as Onward is a masterpiece

• Like 1