Cars

Monsters University

C or lower Pixar

Toy Story 4

Cars 2

Cars 3

• Not Cool 1

On 6/21/2019 at 2:12 AM, tribefan695 said:

I'm partial to the earnest grandeur Andrew Stanton aims for. Docter is obviously very talented but his movies rely a bit too much on the base novelty of an idea for narrative mileage for me to consider him tops. But I won't deny he always makes something interesting.

literally what the fuck are you talking about

1. Incredibles OR Coco. I can never decide.

2. Ratatouille

3. Monsters University

4 - End: Everyone else.

• Not Cool 1

Posted (edited)

The Docter is in and so am I.

Edited by Ithil
  • Like 1

if you think anything other than Inside Out is Pixar's best film you're probably have brain damage and should go see a Docter.

On 6/20/2019 at 9:12 PM, tribefan695 said:

I'm partial to the earnest grandeur Andrew Stanton aims for. Docter is obviously very talented but his movies rely a bit too much on the base novelty of an idea for narrative mileage for me to consider him tops. But I won't deny he always makes something interesting.

This is verbal diarrhea.

Posted (edited)

Yeah Inside Out is the best Pixar movie.

I think the only ones I haven't seen are The Good Dinosaur, Cars 2 and Cars 3. And I don't plan on changing that.

Edited by cannastop

2 hours ago, Morieris said:

1. Incredibles OR Coco. I can never decide.

2. Ratatouille

3. Monsters University

4 - End: Everyone else.

Sooo.

1. Incredibles OR Coco

3. Ratatouille 

4. Monsters University

5 - End: Everyone else.

Posted (edited)

I still think people get so enraptured in the ingenuity of the concept of Inside Out that they forgive a lot of the execution. It's far and away Pixar's most creative and brilliant concept ever, but well below top tier Pixar execution.

For starters, the characters are wildly uninteresting and underdeveloped outside of Sadness and Bing Bong. I never buy into any of the Emotions being an aspect of Riley either, she doesn't seem particularly like any of them. It's one of the biggest issues with it. Things get kinda messy and underdeveloped with the whole "lands" concept too, and the big running away climax felt very slight to me and nowhere near as emotionally hefty as I feel like the movie wants it to be. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Not Cool 2

A+ Pixar:

Ratatouille 

Coco

Toy Story 3

Inside Out

A Pixar:

Up

The Incredibles

Finding Nemo

Toy Story 2

Monsters Inc.

A- Pixar:

Cars 3

Wall-E

Toy Story 4 

B+ Pixar:

Incredibles 2

B- Pixar:

Toy Story

Finding Dory

A Bug’s Life

C+ Pixar

The Good Dinosaur 

Monsters University

C or lower Pixar

Cars

Brave

Cars 2

• Not Cool 1

Posted (edited)

I like those stretches of time where each new original from the same creative team feels like a sequel to the last in terms of progression and evolution. The Disney Renaissance and Pixar’s first 15 years were like this.

(Now I’m flashing back to those trailers that would show clips from previous movies and then reveal the new one. I loved that sense of creative continuity.)

Edited by TServo2049

9 hours ago, Avatree said:

literally what the fuck are you talking about

Andrew Stanton and Pete Docter

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Be funny if this turns out to either be stealth sequel to Inside Out or even. . .Up

It won't though.

I actually had this exact thought a short bit ago. But even a stealth sequel would effectively go against the "next 5 movies are all original" plan.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I still think people get so enraptured in the ingenuity of the concept of Inside Out that they forgive a lot of the execution. It's far and away Pixar's most creative and brilliant concept ever, but well below top tier Pixar execution.

But even then, WDAS had done something like it a couple of times before, such as Reason and Emotion (1943 WWII propaganda short for the US government) and Cranium Command (Walt Disney World attraction done by folks from WDAS).  There was also the Disney TV show Herman's Head (aired on the Fox network) that many people remember as long as they're in a certain age range.  I'm not sure which, if any, might have inspired Docter, but at the very least the basic idea has been around, and he has been known to poke around in WDAS' Animation Research Library (many decades' worth of stuff in there, including ideas that have yet to be realized), to which all Pixar (and Walt Disney Imagineering) employees are extended full access.

EDIT: Oh, I just read that Docter himself had worked on Cranium Command as an animator.  I didn't know that he had ever worked for WDAS, even if this was a one-project contract gig.  Or maybe he was contracted by Imagineering directly, but in any case WDAS had the lead on this attraction's animation sequences, and Docter did some of the animation, so he definitely knew about this.

So if it's not that creative or original, then maybe some are so impressed by the audacity of making a big-budget animated feature based on this concept that they're more forgiving, but execution and follow-through still cannot simply be brushed aside--what one does matters, not just what one intends.

For starters, the characters are wildly uninteresting and underdeveloped outside of Sadness and Bing Bong. I never buy into any of the Emotions being an aspect of Riley either, she doesn't seem particularly like any of them.

She is supposed to be the combination of all of them, hence each is quite pure and distilled (especially because she is still so young, which is actually a point the movie makes in the appearance and behavior of these characters within the heads of the adults), but it still feels forced to me, too.  The movie may well be putting too much onto emotions alone, which is unrealistic unless the girl has no sense of reason at all.  The way the whole concept is set up really can't have great execution, and relies on sleight of hand to get by--as long as the audience isn't thinking too hard themselves, then they might not notice, but I for one do not leave my brain at the door when watching movies.  Some of the previous conceptualizations had better thinking put into how one's mind is to be divided, and more completely represent real people.  But Pixar has this thing about emotion, and Docter just had to make his iteration of this old concept all about that.

It's one of the biggest issues with it. Things get kinda messy and underdeveloped with the whole "lands" concept too, and the big running away climax felt very slight to me and nowhere near as emotionally hefty as I feel like the movie wants it to be. 

One problem for me is that I have no investment in Riley herself, beyond the generic, vanilla girl that she is deliberately supposed to be.  I guess we're supposed to focus on her emotion characters and care about her through them, but for the reasons you and I have stated above that just doesn't happen.

Then, as you just pointed out, there is the typical formulaic Pixar frenetic action that covers up their frequent lack of focus on character development and theme in the middle (or middle-end) parts of their movies, sometimes including the climax.  Inside Out is nowhere near the worst example of this (Docter's Up is far worse), and not all Pixar movies do suffer from it, but it's not uncommon.

15 hours ago, Galactic Specter said:

In the case Pete Docter drops the ball, we have this edit 

nEDYkgX.png

Good one!  And even if (hopefully) you won't need to use it for this movie, you could still use it for the live-action version.

Edited by Melvin Frohike
Added some relevant info that I had just read

10 hours ago, PNF2187 said:

I actually had this exact thought a short bit ago. But even a stealth sequel would effectively go against the "next 5 movies are all original" plan.

It might do that for some of us, but if it has different characters, and I'm pretty sure it will, then the vast majority of people would not consider it a sequel.  And at this point do we even know whether it will be yet another variation of the old concept of splitting up people's minds into various characters?  If it is, then people are probably going to immediately connect them, but if not then they probably won't.

I definitely think it would've helped if all the emotions were female. Think they would've done it that way today.

3 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

I definitely think it would've helped if all the emotions were female. Think they would've done it that way today.

I think there's a moment when they show the mom's and dad's "inside" and all 5 are women and men respectively.

I disagree it would have been any better with all emotions being female. 

3 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Why?