DAJK

Pixar 2020 > Pixar 2018 (608M) Domestic

Posted (edited)

Simple; Onward and Soul combine for over 608M at the domestic box office. If many people think this club is too easy, I'm willing to go bigger.

- Onward had amazing reactions to its first teaser, with many people already predicting big numbers for it. 

- Furthermore, Onward has little competition. Peter Rabbit 2 and Sonic will likely combine for less than 200M domestic in February. Family audiences will want something new (and quality). Plus, it practically has the month to itself until Mulan (which I predict will do Aladdin numbers). With KOTM underperforming, expectations for GvK won't be as high as before, providing even less competition for Onward. 

- Pete Docter

- Okay, I'll elaborate. Docter has made some of Pixar's best and leggiest originals. Up, Inside Out, and Monsters Inc are all classics in the Pixar library, and were all very big and very leggy films. All 3 adjust for over 350M domestic. If Soul is as touching and emotionally moving as its concept suggests it could be, I could see us having another Up on our hands.

- I expect Artemis Fowl to be a non-starter, and June 2020 doesn't have much family competition save for Wonder Woman. The two movies can co-exist just fine (Fallen Kingdom and Incredibles 2 anyone?)

- The Pixar brand itself is a draw. The Good Dinosaur was the exception, not the rule, and Cars 3 was the result of its franchise history, not Pixar's reputation. 

Honestly, I think these two films could potentially combine for 650+ but I'll keep the number lower for now to test the waters. Who's in?

IN:

cannastop

YourMother

jayhawk

The Horror of Lucas Films

Mckillswitch123

Claudio

Charlie Jatinder

rihrey

OUT:

Shayhiri

Ethan Hunt

MattW

JohnnyGossamer

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 2

Minions is on second week of Soul. Could cut its legs

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

Minions is on second week of Soul. Could cut its legs

Minions is in July, Soul's got 2 weeks. And if Pets 2 showed anything, the Minions aren't invincible at the box office. Yea they'll be big, but they're going to be more OS players, while my club is about domestic. 

• Like 3

This is a really, really interesting club. Not ready to cast my vote yet but I will be participating.

• Like 2

In, think this is a good target, don't think it's too low.

• Like 3

Oho, what do my Shay eyes see over here... a Pixar thread??!!

I just have to participate, so it'll have to be with an OUT-OUT!

Meaning: I'm OUT for both Pixar years, because they both will suck and hopefully fail.

Out. 

Only Pixar movies above 300M dom are sequels (except for InsideOut). Are we expecting 2 IOs in a row for Pixar next year? Could happen, but by now I think it's not gonna happen. I think both can be on the 250M+. Pixar has accustom us to stories we are familiar with through sequels. Now they need to regain our trust again with originals, and that's not gonna happen at the first shot (Onward). 

Out

Even if Soul did Inside Out numbers I don't have a whole lot of faith in Onward doing much over 200M

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

IN 

Edited by Claudio

21 hours ago, DAJK said:

And if Pets 2 showed anything, the Minions aren't invincible at the box office.

uh...

...what?

source.gif

• Like 1

Adjusted pixar originals

210 - Coco 2017

129 - Good Dino 2015

393 - Inside Out 2015

273 - Brave 2012

358 - Up 2009

284 - WALL-E 2008

273 - Ratatouille 2007

339 - Cars 2006

383 - Incredibles 2004

513 - Nemo 2003

410 - Monsters Inc 2001

311 - Bugs Life 1998

400 - Toy Story 1995

329 - Average

339 - Median

251 - Average since 2012 

Good club, I'm leaning out for now but it's a very weak out. Honestly could go either way.

• Like 2