DeeCee

***SPOILERS***SPOILERS***SPIDER-MAN:FAR FROM HOME SPOILER THREAD***SPOILERS ALLOWED***SPOILERS***

One scene in FFH struck me as questionable, watching it the second time, when I was trying to closely observe whether Beck's illusions could've been convincingly carried out based on the rules we learn later: When Beck floats up to the rooftop to have a heart-to-heart with Spidey after Peter decides to opt out of the mission, I couldn't figure out exactly how Beck would've pulled that off. Spidey is sitting right there - Beck doesn't use any smoke to cover the transfer from Hologram Mysterio to Live Mysterio. So is he all Hologram in that scene... even though he's sitting literally inches from Peter on the ledge? (And I think Beck actually touches Peter's shoulder at one point, although I'm not positive.) Or does Beck use some kind of jet pack that we don't really see elsewhere in the film? Or maybe he's using wires... but surely Spider-Man would notice any such cabling, and probably a jet pack, also.

I'll go with "audience just has to suspend disbelief for a minute." It's an important scene and I love the dynamic between the two characters there ("They do have sarcasm on this Earth, right?"), but I don't think it holds up logically...?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

if the set up for the third movie is "spider-man the fugitive" thats a perfect lay up to finally bring in my boy kraven.

I  think the problem with thinking that MCU Spidey 3 is going to pick up right after Far From Home is that generally the MCU films follow linear time (not always, of course, like GOTG2 or Black Panther).

So, just like we came into Far From Home With May having accepted and supporting Peter as Spidey, I wonder if we might start the next film 2/3 years down line with Peter's identity being publicly known just a thing now.

The next film might not be Peter dealing with "Spider-Man, Menace!", but instead with the celebrity that comes with being a world-famous superhero.

Interesting (and almost certainly coincidental) parallels for comic nerds like me: Peter first kissed MJ in the comics at an airport just as he was leaving for Paris... (in Amazing Spidey #143) and he had just defeated Mysterio (in #142) before departing!

In Far From Home, Peter first kisses MJ on a (scheduled) trip to Paris (unfortunately, they never actually make it to the City of Lights!) right after defeating Mysterio!

OK, maybe "interesting" is an overstatement...! :)

Edited by John Harris
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

20 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

I  think the problem with thinking that MCU Spidey 3 is going to pick up right after Far From Home is that generally the MCU films follow linear time (not always, of course, like GOTG2 or Black Panther).

So, just like we came into Far From Home With May having accepted and supporting Peter as Spidey, I wonder if we might start the next film 2/3 years down line with Peter's identity being publicly known just a thing now.

The next film might not be Peter dealing with "Spider-Man, Menace!", but instead with the celebrity that comes with being a world-famous superhero.

who cares i just want kraven

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Geo1500 said:

They could have waited a little bit longer with the action scenes. I think Michelle is probably Spider-man's best love interest and imho she is way more interesting then Mary J. They had a couple of weird encounters and funny moments. 

question mark wtf GIF

She is MJ

• Like 1

So, it was amazing! Especially the second half. Action, high school stuff, everything was so good. Probably in my top 5 of MCU and easily my favorite Spide-Man film. It was actually good that I read spoilers beforehand because I could prepare myself for things I didn't like and they didn't annoy and distract me as much as they otherwise would have.

I don't think Mysterio is really dead. If it's not illusion I won't be surprised if that melodramatic bitch just simply pretended to be dead after his oscar speech. I still think they will reverse the identity reveal somehow sooner or later, though I admit it's partially because I just dislike this plot choice so strongly. But I mulled it over for a week and came to the conclusion that this actually opens lots of possibilities like introducing Kraven the Hunter. I think the most likely way they will reverse it has something to do with Doctor Strange, everybody and their mom have teased Spidey/Strange teamup. I have a hunch Peter will have to make a difficult choice that will erase his secret identity out of everybody's mind, including those who knew already like MJ, Ned, May and Happy. After that he will be alone with his secret and will have to hide it again from the people close to him, and Happy may not remember him at all. Flash and Peter could become friends since Flash idolizes Spider-Man and then be back to bullying him, and Peter would start working at Daily Bugle without JJJ not knowing who he is. This is of course pure speculation but I think it would be a pretty obvious narrative direction.

Other thing I didn't initially like was connecting Mysterio to Tony. Unlike many fanboys I don't necessarily have a problem with Iron Man's heavy presence in Spidey's story, since he's one of my favorite characters of all time, even more so than Spidey, and I absolutely loved his and Peter's relationship. What I hate is the lazy trend to portray so many problems and villains originating somehow from Tony in the way doesn't really contribute anything or even always make sense. So when I read that Mysterio and his gang were going to be disgruntled ex-Stark Industries employees I was like

giphy.webp?cid=790b76115d1d00164178756b3

We already went through this with Vulture and god knows how many times before! The most annoying thing with stuff like this is that Tony-haters will use them as excuses, even if Tony actually didn't even do anything wrong. But I ended up really loving portrayal of Mysterio, and I don't think they were trying to imply that Tony actually did anything bad and made very clear that Beck was a shitty, powerhungry narcissist (his vitriolic outraged little face when he said "Stark called me... unstable" lol). Of course Tony haters will still twist it but you can't help it so whatever.

In the end I thought, as a huge Iron Man fan, that it was actually fitting to have the final villain of phase tree connected to him and Tom wasn't kidding when he said the whole movie is sort of love letter to Iron Man/RDJ. It felt bittersweet epilogue to Infinity Saga. I got emotional when Peter was finally making his own suit with ACDC blasting on background, keeping Tony's legacy alive but also making his own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

Were you aware that he was Flash Thompson in the first Raimi film? I assume so but still, that would be crazy if your dream came true.

Wow I actually didn't know that! It's been years since I watched the orginal Raimi trilogy and I don't remember them very well. It would add a great meta element if the guy who once played Peter's small-time bully would later play his supervillain adversary

8 hours ago, John Harris said:

One scene in FFH struck me as questionable, watching it the second time, when I was trying to closely observe whether Beck's illusions could've been convincingly carried out based on the rules we learn later: When Beck floats up to the rooftop to have a heart-to-heart with Spidey after Peter decides to opt out of the mission, I couldn't figure out exactly how Beck would've pulled that off. Spidey is sitting right there - Beck doesn't use any smoke to cover the transfer from Hologram Mysterio to Live Mysterio. So is he all Hologram in that scene... even though he's sitting literally inches from Peter on the ledge? (And I think Beck actually touches Peter's shoulder at one point, although I'm not positive.) Or does Beck use some kind of jet pack that we don't really see elsewhere in the film? Or maybe he's using wires... but surely Spider-Man would notice any such cabling, and probably a jet pack, also.

I'll go with "audience just has to suspend disbelief for a minute." It's an important scene and I love the dynamic between the two characters there ("They do have sarcasm on this Earth, right?"), but I don't think it holds up logically...?

Maybe he was all hologram and used the drones carrying some skin-like feeling device to simulate touch? I'm with you though I don't think it does hold up.

Edited by Menor

2 hours ago, Menor said:

Maybe he was all hologram and used the drones carrying some skin-like feeling device to simulate touch? I'm with you though I don't think it does hold up.

He did land in a pretty strange way btw. It really looked like he can't fly. So I guess he was indeed carried by something in that scene.

I really liked the movie. A lot. The teenager stuff was really good and had a lot of funny stuff. Zendaya and Tom are perfect together imo. Their chemistry is insane.

I actually liked the elemental stuff in the beginning. I mean it was obvious they were fake because Mysterio, but they looked really cool.

And then the 2nd half is great because of Mysterio. It really did pay off, that they waited 10 years for a role for Jake, but he is sooo good. Even better than Keaton in Homecoming imo. And that is surely not an easy task.

Extra thumbs ups for the illusion scene and JK as JJJ :)

Overall my #2 Spidey movie. ITSV still wins, sorry MCU 😉

• Thanks 1

Good and bad...

The good first.  Sony, not Marvel/Disney, may have created (and killed off) the greatest villain ever in the MCU, including Thanos-Jake Gyllenhaal's Mysterio 😂. Knocks off King Ghidorah for the current 2019 villain of the year.

If you've seen Gyllenhaal's freelance photographer in Nightcrawler, it was no doubt he'd be a great unhinged villain 😂.

When Spider-Man first battles Mysterio, its an AWESOME effects sequence, casting doubt on what's real and what isnt 😂

From that point on, the producers play mind games with the audience. Can this guy be trusted, or is this a Mysterio illusion?

The bad...Marvel Studios gets off on making 99% of the movie about the actor, and only 1% the costumed superhero, that you're in the theater to see...and their influence is here clearly. 

It's a Tom Holland movie, with merely a cameo from the BILLION dollar merchandise moving iconic red suit! I dont get why Marvel Studios does this...dont they think the kids coming to the movie are there to actually SEE Spider-Man?

Are they trying to sell the movie to audiences outside the fanbase that is getting them a billion per movie?! Are they trying to sell the movie to critics and the oscar committee, so they limit the superhero in spandex? It's like they embarrassed to make it a superhero movie! 

There's an initial battle with the water monster. Tom Holland fights that entire thing as TOM HOLLAND, not Spider-Man. He's in street clothes firing the web slingers. Marvel Studios loves doing this! The guys are in street clothes, unmasked...

Theres another fight with the fire beast. Okay, he's in a get up, but it's still NOT the merchandise moving red suit! It's a black ninja outfit!

He confronts Mysterio, and he's STILL not in the suit! It's still the ninja thing! Whoa finally the red suit appears, but it's only part of that INCREDIBLE illusion sequence I mentioned earlier! It wasn't real!

Finally...the last 1% of the movie, they decide, hey why dont we put Holland in that red suit that's making Marvel more money than every superhero, including DC's, combined 😂!

If you're a Tom Holland fan, well, you'll love this movie! If you're a spider-man fan...red/blue suit, white eyes lenses-I'm preparing you for a massive disappointment! 

That being said, Jake Gyllenhaal's Mysterio still saves the movie, as the new #1 villain of 2019 so far!

Grade? Gyllenhaal, and a great illusion scene brings it up to B+. If he's not in the movie, C+!

Edited by OdinSon2k14

It was...kind of unfortunate that Nick Fury decided to take a vacation while having Talos take his place. After all, if the Fury we saw in this movie had been the real one, chances are that Beck never would’ve been able to fool him, given that all Fury would’ve needed to do was run a background check that would’ve instantly proven him to be a liar. The entire movie literally would not have happened if Fury hadn’t decided to take a vacation when he did. On that note, was Hill also on vacation? 

Anyway, the movie was about what I expected. It was a solid and reasonably enjoyable little romp, but I can’t say it’s my favorite Spider-Man film. 

When Peter gave Beck Edith, he asked the protocols to be transferred and needed a confirmation from him. But in the end, Peter got it back and commanded Edith right away without any confirmation. What explains this? Is it because he was the original owner?