DeeCee

***SPOILERS***SPOILERS***SPIDER-MAN:FAR FROM HOME SPOILER THREAD***SPOILERS ALLOWED***SPOILERS***

14 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Spidey's popularity comes from his daily hero acts in NYC not any of his Avengers exploits. Now yeah probably a couple of people could probably dig up that he has been involved with the Avengers but he's popular to the people cause he's their "friendly neighbourhood" hero.

He has been fighting street crimes for months before Tony recruited him in CA:CW. No where in CA:CW and SM:HC was he shhown to be popular with NY people. Watch again HC and see how much he went his usual street crime fighting and literally seen as a nuisance at time. Remember how he has not much accomplishment except helping out old folk (a ggod deed, but you don't need SH's superpower).

People really need to rewatch SM:HC to see how much street scrime fighting got  Spidey popular before A:IW. lol.

And the is great differences to the eyes of the world between street crime fighting and "Avengers Level threat". That is literally why Mysterio need to play up such spectacles.

Edited by justvision

10 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Why would they disclose who was at Avengers HQ? There were hundreds of people there.

People kept asking if he would be the next Iron Man because he's a famous local New York superhero. It was already famous before he even became an Avenger.

I thin you need to rewatch SM:HC and see what he was famous for then.

25 minutes ago, justvision said:

I thin you need to rewatch SM:HC and see what he was famous for then.

The public doesn't know about Spider-Man's relationship with Iron Man or the Avengers in Homecoming. The airport battle was not public knowledge. Ned says he's "the Spider-Man from YouTube" and is shocked when he finds out Peter knows Tony and asks "are you an Avenger?" A random civilian says "you're that spider-guy from YouTube!" indicating his popularity comes from his New York escapades. Same with Liz talking about Spider-Man fighting criminals in the bank on tape. Spider-Man is famous for being a guy in a spider costume that jumps around and beats up crooks.

Edited by Mekanos

3 hours ago, Mekanos said:

Thor was a public Avenger and Vision's death would be publicly announced. Spider-Man fought alongside the Avengers...

-In an abandoned airport

-On an alien planet

-In the ruins of Avengers HQ

How do we know the public is aware of the details of these events? 

Why would the public not be aware that Spider-Man fought with the Avengers? They knew that Iron Man saved the universe, so what reason would anyone have for not telling them that Spider-Man was there? 

Edited by WittyUsername

5 hours ago, Mekanos said:

The public doesn't know about Spider-Man's relationship with Iron Man or the Avengers in Homecoming. The airport battle was not public knowledge. Ned says he's "the Spider-Man from YouTube" and is shocked when he finds out Peter knows Tony and asks "are you an Avenger?" A random civilian says "you're that spider-guy from YouTube!" indicating his popularity comes from his New York escapades. Same with Liz talking about Spider-Man fighting criminals in the bank on tape. Spider-Man is famous for being a guy in a spider costume that jumps around and beats up crooks.

You are missing the point. I mean in SM:HC Spidey was NOT as popular as you think. He did not achieve much accomplishment in street crime fighting (remember how he spent hours after hours trying to look for crimes to fight?), and a lot of his crime fighting turned up meh, nuisance and even disasters (ferry incident, remember).

Yes, sure there are some people in NY (cops especially) that appreciated his effort. But his inexperience and recklessness (remember Tony took away his suite, saying he was not ready?) results in mixed, divisive acceptance at best.

And street crime fighting in NY, even if generally well received, would not result in people asking you whether you would step up to be "next Iron Man", who literally saved the world, universe in fact, from Thanos's attempted second Snapping.

Anyway, whether Sipdey was popular before the epic fights against Thanos was irrelevant to the argument that he was not known to the public for his fight against Thanos. To think the government, the press, Hollywood, the social media will not try to find out who have fought alongside Iron Man/Cap/O6 is just ridiculous, incredulous. (This applied to a few dozens of the SH, not only Spidey).

Edited by justvision

3 hours ago, justvision said:

Anyway, whether Sipdey was popular before the epic fights against Thanos was irrelevant to the argument that he was not known to the public for his fight against Thanos. To think the government, the press, Hollywood, the social media will not try to find out who have fought alongside Iron Man/Cap/O6 is just ridiculous, incredulous. (This applied to a few dozens of the SH, not only Spidey).

There are certainly people who would try to find out, but how would they get the information? There were no civilian witnesses. It was a bunch of superheroes, aliens, Wakandans, and sorcerers. There is no indication as of Far From Home that the public is by and large aware that Spider-Man is an Avenger. 

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Why would the public not be aware that Spider-Man fought with the Avengers? They knew that Iron Man saved the universe, so what reason would anyone have for not telling them that Spider-Man was there? 

Iron Man died. They obviously had to report his death. Why would they mention Spider-Man specifically when there were hundreds if not thousands of people at the battle? 

1 hour ago, Mekanos said:

There are certainly people who would try to find out, but how would they get the information? There were no civilian witnesses. It was a bunch of superheroes, aliens, Wakandans, and sorcerers. There is no indication as of Far From Home that the public is by and large aware that Spider-Man is an Avenger. 

Iron Man died. They obviously had to report his death. Why would they mention Spider-Man specifically when there were hundreds if not thousands of people at the battle? 

This is my last reply for you. Surely the press, the lawful authority, the law enforcement, the senate, the social media etc etc will want to find out after Snap and Blip. Have you seen Iron Man movie where he was called to the Senate hearing etc. Do you see all the press chasing him for info? If the world knew BW and Vision, how can someone be so dumb as to who were the Avengers and Avengers associates fighting Thanos.

Edited by justvision

4 hours ago, Mekanos said:

How did anyone know that Ant-Man, Winter Soldier, Falcon, Black Panther, or Scarlet Witch were involved with the last battle? As far as I know, Black Panther is still supposed to be a secret (?), Winter Soldier was a global public enemy, and who the hell knows Ant-Man? Surely Spider-Man is as well known in New York as Ant-Man was among.... whomever in San Fran. How does the public know these peeps (two of them not avengers) did anything of importance?

I use these people specifically because they are shown in the high-school news report recap of Endgame.

Just seen it in 4DX.

The 4DX was great. 

The film: next time I’m hoping for more Tom and Zendaya together. Less annoying class mates (all of them), less “Happy” and no Nick Fury. 

Jake was good. 

6/10

Edited by Krissykins

I just got back from this and... uhhhh...

It wasn't... horrible and it wasn't great, but it straddled good.

I'm not sure now if Tom Holland can carry the franchise like Robert Downey, Jr. did.

This movie made it glaringly obvious how much of a glue to the MCU that he was... and it might be irreplaceable glue.

The post-Hulk Snap world is already bright and cheery and back together a mere eight months after everyone returns to life?

I thought Jake's portrayal was much too cartoonish and overacted.

Happy and May...? Huh??

The transition from non-tingly Peter to tingly Peter was... ehhh...

We go from Mysterio using an illusion to fake like he's been hit by a stray bullet, to him standing with a gun to Peter's head... to him laying on the ground dying? What did I miss in this sequence of events? 

...other than Peter just leaving him on the floor, supposedly dead.

This movie seemed was not paced well at all and the last third was a big mess.

Except for...

J.K. SIMMONS,  WHAT THE HELL!?!?!?!?!?

EDIT: Another positive... the IMAX expanded ratio transitions were really well done. At first I was supremely annoyed, 'cause I thought the lesser IMAX screen I was watching the movie on (compared to the one at the Metreon in downtown SF) wasn't expanding properly, but then I realized it was and I just wasn't noticing the transitions. Well done.

Edited by I Am
  • Like 1

Also, I'm heading to the "Endgame" thread to brag about this, but I want some form of currency from each and every person who insisted to me that the MCU was now a multiverse, that there are now like forty-two different Steve Rogers running around, and that tHe RuSsO BrOtHeRS cOnFiRmEd tHe MuLtIvErSe iS ReAl AnD yOu'Ll sEE iN "FaR FrOm HoMe."

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, I Am said:

Also, I'm heading to the "Endgame" thread to brag about this, but I want some form of currency from each and every person who insisted to me that the MCU was now a multiverse, that there are now like forty-two different Steve Rogers running around, and that tHe RuSsO BrOtHeRS cOnFiRmEd tHe MuLtIvErSe iS ReAl AnD yOu'Ll sEE iN "FaR FrOm HoMe."

But, let’s be real...

The Mutli-verse is real!  

I think, to be confirmed in a future movie, crow put on ice for later.  I’ll get back to you when it happens.

BTW, your cap locks is broken.

On 7/10/2019 at 10:22 AM, fabiopazzo2 said:

Amazing trip

I had massive Madame Web vibes during this point in the sequence.

For all the other Spider-Man characters that have been used, plus other characters being talked about, it would be really cool to have her incorporated into the MCU.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, I Am said:

Multiverse was already introduced in Doctor Strange.

People keep forgetting this...

• Like 2

So I'm used to getting something spoiled for me in these movies before  making it to the theater and Mysterio revealing Spidey's identity was the spoiler for this one. But I'm so glad I knew nothing about that J.K. cameo. What a marvelous surprise.

I hope Watts and company don't find some way to ruin Peter/MJ. That kiss scene is one of the sweetest moments I've seen in any cbm. It would great to see the writers build on their very charming dynamic instead of trying to create unnecessary angst. 

• Like 4

Agreed. I’d like to see more stories in general where a romantic relationship is just treated as a constant instead of a will-they-won’t-they thing. Where two important characters are in a relationship and it just is. I’m glad the MCU is doing this (at least sometimes; fortunately, that Tony/Pepper offscreen breakup from CW was sent down the memory hole along with Steve’s fling with Sharon Carter). Yes, I know the comics have been all about the angst since the 60s, but it gets tiring.

I also don’t like to see characters wallow in perpetual misery. I’m glad that they haven’t fully gone with Peter Parker as the Charlie Brown of the Marvel Universe, something the comics editors keep forcing on him every time he gets some happiness. (I’m thinking of the Clone Saga era where they kept trying to separate Peter and MJ, had MJ appear to die, and had them lose their kid. And, of course, One More Day, where they erased his marriage and years of character development.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Yikes, no idea what movie most people watched here but I had major issues with this:

Exposition: The Scene is easily the most graceless and cringe thing in MCU history so far. Mysterio and co's motives are beyond silly and laughable and make Malekith's motives seem well developed in comparison.

Them literally making Peter morph into Tony out of nowhere in a couple of those scenes is an easy runner up for graceless cringe in MCU history. Holland will never be RDJ, ridiculously stupid for them to try to shoehorn him into that instead of focusing on his unique characteristics 

Happy-May subplot is an easy bronze medal winner for graceless/cringe

What happened to Holland/Zendaya's easy chemistry from the first? They felt very odd together in this one.

The John Hughes teen comedy angle in general was used to much diminishing returns here compared to how effortlessly Homecoming pulled it off. 

The last scene reminded me how desperately this movie needed more Spidey swinging around and doing Spidey things scenes. It was like TLJ not giving us enough lightsaber action. 

If we're supposed to believe people are gonna think Spidey is public enemy #1 now, that's beyond laughable. All kinds of truck sized holes in how they set up and executed that. 

This did the polar opposite of making me hyped for next phase MCU. It felt too slight while also still managing to set up directions for the future of the franchise that I'm not excited for whatsoever. Positives were some of the scenes with the augmented reality being pretty slick and some of the humor landing (though again, diminishing returns here compared to how it was in Homecoming). Overall, right up there with the IM sequels and Incredible Hulk as my least favorite MCU movie. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 2

6 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yikes, no idea what movie most people watched here but I had major issues with this:

Exposition: The Scene is easily the most graceless and cringe thing in MCU history so far. Mysterio and co's motives are beyond silly and laughable and make Malekith's motives seem well developed in comparison.

Them literally making Peter morph into Tony out of nowhere in a couple of those scenes is an easy runner up for graceless cringe in MCU history. Holland will never be RDJ, ridiculously stupid for them to try to shoehorn him into that instead of focusing on his unique characteristics 

Happy-May subplot is an easy bronze medal winner for graceless/cringe

What happened to Holland/Zendaya's easy chemistry from the first? They felt very odd together in this one.

The John Hughes teen comedy angle in general was used to much diminishing returns here compared to how effortlessly Homecoming pulled it off. 

The last scene reminded me how desperately this movie needed more Spidey swinging around and doing Spidey things scenes. It was like TLJ not giving us enough lightsaber action. 

If we're supposed to believe people are gonna think Spidey is public enemy #1 now, that's beyond laughable. All kinds of truck sized holes in how they set up and executed that. 

This did the polar opposite of making me hyped for next phase MCU. It felt too slight while also still managing to set up directions for the future of the franchise that I'm not excited for whatsoever. Positives were some of the scenes with the augmented reality being pretty slick and some of the humor landing (though again, diminishing returns here compared to how it was in Homecoming). Overall, right up there with the IM sequels and Incredible Hulk as my least favorite MCU movie. 

I mean, did they even interact in the first movie?