That One Girl

Toy Story 4 Weekend Thread | Estimates: Small Soldiers 118, Puppet Master 14.1, Prince of Persia 12.2 (-30%), Blues Brothers 2000 10.8 (-64%), Beverly Hills Chihuahua: The Squeakquel 10.3 (-58%)

I wonder if any animated film will ever beat TLK's first run admissions (about 74.5m admissions/670m adjusted)? 25 years later and still only Shrek 2 has even gotten close. With 3d/PLF today, it would probably take something like 715+ to get to that admissions mark. I'd say Frozen 2 will be the last one to stand any reasonable chance for quite a long time (not that I think it has a chance mind you). 

Edited by MovieMan89

Speaking of Shrek 2, it's kind of hard to fathom that doing 70m+ admissions and being as massive as it was. It feels so culturally irrelevant today compared to so many other animated classics from the renaissance through today. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Speaking of Shrek 2, it's kind of hard to fathom that doing 70m+ admissions and being as massive as it was. It feels so culturally irrelevant today compared to so many other animated classics from the renaissance through today. 

Culturally irrelevant yes, but it was the perfect film for its day. Especially when you consider what Disney released in that time frame (Pixar excluded). 

Cant imagine Shrek being anywhere close to so popular for another decade. 

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Certainly relevant in the world of meme culture. And tbh, that's the best place to be relevant.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I really hate when people throw around the culturally relevant bs. It is usually just used to downplay films that grossed a lot that they don't feel deserved it. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-forecast-the-angry-birds-movie-2-47-meters-down-uncaged-good-boys-whered-you-go-bernadette/

Angry Birds Movie 2: 19/70 (Don't know if the 19's for the 3-Day or 5-Day)

47 Meters Down: Uncaged: 15/39

Good Boys: 15/43

Where'd You Go, Bernadette?: 11/45

Yesterday: 10 OW. N/A for total

Where'd You Go, Bernadette isn't making more than Good Boys or The Kitchen. Annapurna's biggest film yet is Vice with 47 mil and Linklater's biggest film since The School of Rock (this movie was over 15 years ago) was Boyhood with 25 mil. Both movies were huge awards contenders and the latter had some amazing critical acclaim. Where'd You Go Bernadette will likely have middling WOM and none of the advantages the other movies had. Would be lucky to pass 25 mil.

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Where'd You Go, Bernadette isn't making more than Good Boys or The Kitchen. Annapurna's biggest film yet is Vice with 47 mil and Linklater's biggest film since The School of Rock (this movie was over 15 years ago) was Boyhood with 25 mil. Both movies were huge awards contenders and the latter had some amazing critical acclaim. Where'd You Go Bernadette will likely have middling WOM and none of the advantages the other movies had. Would be lucky to pass 25 mil.

Annapurna isn't having luck in terms of BO for any of its films despite being Oscar-baits. I wonder why.

2 minutes ago, DisposedData said:

I really hate when people throw around the culturally relevant bs. It is usually just used to downplay films that grossed a lot that they don't feel deserved it. 

I'm the opposite. I don't want to take away from any films box office accomplishments, but I constantly wonder about which films will have the stronger cultural legacies. 

The Shrek films certainly were made "for the moment", which is what drove their success. Disney made films that were/are more earnest, and look to have longer legacies, but, generally, don't pack in the jokes and gags as much, and usually, not as much fun because of it (again, in the moment). 

A good example that I've seen articulated is the leading sitcoms from the 90s. Both Seinfeld and Friends were behemoths in their day, and both are burned into the public memory today. But, Friends was always the more saccharine, less cynical of the two, and today, it's far more lucrative of a property than Seinfeld. 

I mean, not that you said otherwise, but Seinfeld and Friends are both enormous. And, more relevant today than most anything TV related that came from the 90s. Seinfeld left a larger, more lasting mark than something like Shrek. Hell, it was even essentially reborn in a huge way through  Larry David's Curb Your Enthusiasm in the 00s.

I guess I just don't get the comparison.

18 minutes ago, DisposedData said:

I like Shrek 1/2. But are kids today even aware of it? It feels like a relic of the past, which is never good for animation since the ultimate goal any animated film should aim for is being passed down the generations. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I like Shrek 1/2. But are kids today even aware of it? It feels like a relic of the past, which is never good for animation since the ultimate goal any animated film should aim for is being passed down the generations. 

I feel like if DreamWorks makes another Shrek movie, it will gross a billion because of the nostalgia factor.

3 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

Will be interesting to see how PostTrak exits look considering how great WOM seems to be

I will be interested to see the multi. With a lower OW and likely a larger family skew than I2, it could be significantly better than that movie's 3.34x. On the flipside, animated multis have been truly horrendous this year (sub 3x bad), so I don't know if that's the new trend. And it faces major direct competition from TLK in the ever important late legs of animated runs. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I mean, not that you said otherwise, but Seinfeld and Friends are both enormous. And, more relevant today than most anything TV related that came from the 90s. Seinfeld left a larger, more lasting mark than something like Shrek. Hell, it was even essentially reborn in a huge way through  Larry David's Curb Your Enthusiasm in the 00s.

I guess I just don't get the comparison.

It's not a perfect comparison, but to illustrate that the more cynical and sarcastic property often performs better in the moment, and worse (by comparison) in legacy. 

Seinfeld performed better in the ratings when they were both on, but it's streaming rights are nowhere near where Friends is. 

I don't think that's a bad thing. You want popular entertainment to have a mix of both.